Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-automobiles/releases/release-aa717fbce3a220ebaa6a6c0ec900ae06-2020-honda-accord-hybrid-achieves-epa-rated-48-mpg-city-and-best-in-class-horsepower-on-sale-tomorrow

• With sales up 70 percent through the end of August, the Ohio-made Accord Hybrid is helping power Honda toward a second consecutive annual record for sales of electrified vehicles in America. The Accord Hybrid is in a tight race with its compact-class cousin, the Honda Insight, to be Honda's top selling hybrid. Sales of the two hybrid models combined are up 139 percent for the first eight months of the year.
  • New to the Accord Hybrid for 2020 is an updated Acoustic Vehicle Alert System (AVAS) that functions whenever the car is operating on electric power only (unless in Park), enhancing awareness for pedestrians, bicyclists and other road users.
2019 Accord Hybrid 48 combined/ 48 city / 48 highway

2020 Accord Hybrid 48 combined/ 48 city / 47 highway

Did the 2019 Accord Hybrid come with the pedestrian alert system? If it did this newer version appears to turn on even when you're driving fast in EV mode. Also another odd thing about the 2020 Accord Hybrid is that it does 1mpg less on the highway compared to the 2019 Accord Hybrid with the only change being the new pedestrian alert system.

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Did the 2019 Accord Hybrid come with the pedestrian alert system? If it did this newer version appears to turn on even when you're driving fast in EV mode. Also another odd thing about the 2020 Accord Hybrid is that it does 1mpg less on the highway compared to the 2019 Accord Hybrid with the only change being the new pedestrian alert system.
The 2019 Accord Hybrid had the Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System, with the same 'features' as for the Gen3 Insight:
- Alerts pedestrians when a vehicle is propelled solely by electricity, approaching at speeds around 12 mph (20 km/h) or less.
- Press the button to turn the system on and off. (Canadian models only)
- The system is turned on every time you turn the power system on, even if you turned it off the last time you drove the vehicle.

I like the idea that the sound plays in all EV modes regardless of speed. It eliminates the assumption that road/tire noise are prevalent at higher speeds. If it's a 'programming' add, perhaps existing models without this feature (like the Insight) can have it added in the future.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honda should make it a little bit louder at lower speeds instead of having it on all the time. I was driving(more like foot off the gas pedal cruising at low speed) down my street a few days ago where this little girl ran out in front of a parked SUV. Had to quickly swerve left to avoid her since she ran out 2-3 seconds before I approached the front of the SUV where I wasn't able to see her.

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Louder would be good... as long as it doesn't get mistaken for an ice cream truck (i.e. draws children toward car rather than keep them away/alert). :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Honda should make it a little bit louder at lower speeds instead of having it on all the time. I was driving(more like foot off the gas pedal cruising at low speed) down my street a few days ago where this little girl ran out in front of a parked SUV. Had to quickly swerve left to avoid her since she ran out 2-3 seconds before I approached the front of the SUV where I wasn't able to see her.
Just think of it as increased evolutionary pressure!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts