Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase! What color did you choose and did you get any add-on accessories?

There is lots to learn about the car's features but this forum is definitely the place to ask questions and read as many threads as you can to get answers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Insight is Black. The dealer had some add ons. I don't have the list in front of me this minute. I will post again later when I have time.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Congrats on your new car, and welcome to the forum!

We're all here to help one another, so feel free to ask questions and contribute as you learn about the car. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealer put some add ons that was for about $3500. I didn't pay for them as I got the Insight for a little less than MSRP. The one thing I did buy was a spare tire. I have had tires that were damage and could not be repair so I wasn't going to go out on the road without one. I don't know how others feel about that, but I am happier with one even if it reduces gas mileage a bit.

I am getting use to driving this Insight. Not hearing an engine when is certainly different.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
The dealer put some add ons that was for about $3500. I didn't pay for them as I got the Insight for a little less than MSRP. The one thing I did buy was a spare tire. I have had tires that were damage and could not be repair so I wasn't going to go out on the road without one. I don't know how others feel about that, but I am happier with one even if it reduces gas mileage a bit.

I am getting use to driving this Insight. Not hearing an engine when is certainly different.
Many of us agree with you on having a spare tire, rather than just the compressor/repair kit. The discussion is 16 pages deep and has among the highest (29k views) of topics in the forum - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/161-tires-wheels-brakes-steering-suspension/70-no-spare-tire.html

Did you source your spare tire thru the dealer parts store, or through alternate means?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many of us agree with you on having a spare tire, rather than just the compressor/repair kit. The discussion is 16 pages deep and has among the highest (29k views) of topics in the forum - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/161-tires-wheels-brakes-steering-suspension/70-no-spare-tire.html

Did you source your spare tire thru the dealer parts store, or through alternate means?
I had the dealer install the spare so I got all the parts to do the job if necessary. I wasn't going to drive the Insight off the lot without a spare. The salesguy did the footwork for me if he wanted the sale.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks for the link. I read all of the conversation. I am happy I was able to get the parts department to assemble the tire kit compared to what some people had to go through to get theirs even if it cost me a bit more.

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
Did you get a true Insight spare kit or something from a GenX Civic (which is very close and just as usable)? If they installed it the same day, it's likely the latter as not many dealers stock the true Insight kit and would need to order it.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Did you get a true Insight spare kit or something from a GenX Civic (which is very close and just as usable)? If they installed it the same day, it's likely the latter as not many dealers stock the true Insight kit and would need to order it.
Ha... some future Civic owner from that dealership may be disappointed to find they 'only' have an air compressor in the trunk.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the parts manager ordered it for me on Dec.20th. The kit was installed the following Thursday, Dec.26th. The delay was waiting for the parts, and me waiting for the money to pay for the car with the weekend and Christmas adding to the delay. I diid not finance it.

If it is officially an Insight spare kit, how could I tell?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ha... some future Civic owner from that dealership may be disappointed to find they 'only' have an air compressor in the trunk.
Actually, I still have the compressor and the foam storage unit that came with it. If anyone needs that foam storage unit, they can come by and get it. I certainly don't need it. I'll keep the compressor.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
It'd be hard to tell, since many components have the same part number as the Civic. Was there a parts list that came on the invoice after installation?
@Mr. Natural put together this part list. TXM part numbers are Insight-specific, and car would have already had the Box Wrench and Wrench Shaft in the trunk:
- 06421-TXM-A02 Temporary Wheel Kit (EX, LX)
- 42762-TXM-A52 Specification Placard (EX, LX)
- 84541-TXM-A10 Tool Box
- 89217-TXM-000 Box Wrench, 10mm
- 89218-TXM-A01 Wrench Shaft

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
Well, the parts manager ordered it for me on Dec.20th. The kit was installed the following Thursday, Dec.26th. The delay was waiting for the parts, and me waiting for the money to pay for the car with the weekend and Christmas adding to the delay. I diid not finance it.

The civic foam holder is perfectly round - the Insight's isn't. Also, the Civic kit would have a funnel (or place to put it) in it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It'd be hard to tell, since many components have the same part number as the Civic. Was there a parts list that came on the invoice after installation?

@Mr. Natural put together this part list. TXM part numbers are Insight-specific, and car would have already had the Box Wrench and Wrench Shaft in the trunk:
- 06421-TXM-A02 Temporary Wheel Kit (EX, LX)
- 42762-TXM-A52 Specification Placard (EX, LX)
- 84541-TXM-A10 Tool Box
- 89217-TXM-000 Box Wrench, 10mm
- 89218-TXM-A01 Wrench Shaft

OK, the receipt has this part number: 06421-TXM-A02 TEMPORARY KIT.
There is a tire in the well and a form storage unit with the tools.
It looks liked the real thing.
Hey, as long as it works if the need arises.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
This form holder is flat on the bottom and flat on the sides and rounded at the top with the necessary tools.
The foam holder sounds like the Insight-specific "horseshoe shaped" tool box, part #84541-TXM-A10. I ordered one and added the box wrench/shaft for the Insight and tools/parts from a Civic spare (except for the funnel).

06421-TXM-A02 is everything that's 'circled' in the diagram (i.e. everything but the tire). Most OEM part sites have listed it as being out-of-stock and/or discontinued, so it's great that you were actually able to get one and on short lead time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The foam holder sounds like the Insight-specific "horseshoe shaped" tool box, part #84541-TXM-A10. I ordered one and added the box wrench/shaft for the Insight and tools/parts from a Civic spare (except for the funnel).

06421-TXM-A02 is everything that's 'circled' in the diagram (i.e. everything but the tire). Most OEM part sites have listed it as being out-of-stock and/or discontinued, so it's great that you were actually able to get one and on short lead time.
If the Insight and Civic are similar for tires, then why Honda doesn't just offer a generic solution for both vehicles and be done with it. It seems crazy for Honda to make its customers life difficult. I certainly didn't realize that this would or could be a problem.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
If the Insight and Civic are similar for tires, then why Honda doesn't just offer a generic solution for both vehicles and be done with it. It seems crazy for Honda to make its customers life difficult. I certainly didn't realize that this would or could be a problem.
The spare tires are the same. The foam piece is different because the Civic (capless fuel system) requires a place to hold a funnel for filling gas when not at a gas station.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
I think they do list it as simply as they can (but still complicated)...

The OEM compact spare tire for both the Insight and the 2016-2018 Civic is part number 42751-KEN-006. Honda lists it separate from the remaining parts of the 'kit' which are circled in the diagram.

To purchase the 'kit' for the Insight (except for placard) the part number is 06421-TXM-A02.

There isn't an equivalent 'kit' part number for the Civic, but rather the individual component part numbers are listed since Civics already come with the full tool set. The assumption is that Civics would only need to replace individual components, rather than order a full 'kit.'

So I agree that you should just be glad the dealer handled this for you, and you don't have to look back! :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts