Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The all new Sonata Hybrid that comes out next year is expected to include a solar roof. Hyundai says the roof allows 6 hours of charging per day and adds 800 miles a year of all electric driving.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28467599/2020-hyundai-sonata-hybrid-confirmed/

In sunny places, a solar roof could greatly decrease the time the engine needs to be on to charge the batteries in the Insight. I hope Honda has plans of offering this tech in the near future.

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
Interesting concept... wonder how much weight this adds, and if the 800 mi/yr offsets any mpg loss from the extra weight? On homes, solar panels weigh 2-4 lbs per square foot.

Honda could 'easily' add this to the moonroof-free LX/EX, but Touring owners would get gypped by either less charge (-800 mi/yr) or by losing the moonroof. But maybe the Touring could stay a 'luxury play' - where buyers would choose the moonroof instead of the solar roof/fuel efficiency.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,063 Posts
I wonder about the fragility. That, and I park in a garage both at home and at work.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,330 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Honestly, not trying to sound pretentious, but I'm not interested in Solar until they can get the photovoltaic cells to be at least 15% efficient.

Would I do a Tesla roof on a house, you bet. Lifetime warranty, extensive testing, more durable. And it can reduce my energy costs, but on a car, with minimal surface area, I'll pass for now.

Not to mention, whatever that option actually costs, probably takes years of savings to pay off. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The all new Sonata Hybrid that comes out next year is expected to include a solar roof. Hyundai says the roof allows 6 hours of charging per day and adds 800 miles a year of all electric driving.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28467599/2020-hyundai-sonata-hybrid-confirmed/

In sunny places, a solar roof could greatly decrease the time the engine needs to be on to charge the batteries in the Insight. I hope Honda has plans of offering this tech in the near future.
GREAT concept, something that has been on my mind for a long time. They'll have to fix the ugly though.
Saw on TV awhile back, someone came up with a way of embedding photovoltaic cells in paint!! That could fix the ugly, and perhaps be minimal additional weight? ......and of course price is no object..:)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,330 Posts
Night

A really thorough look at the 2020 Korean Sonata Hybrid(top trim). Hyundai did "lanewatch" right by putting them on both side mirrors and having the camera show up on the display behind the steering wheel. Also the headlight adjustment controls is very unique. 60MPG highway on such a big car seems crazy. :surprise:

Daytime

1 - 7 of 7 Posts