Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oof... was the EX totaled? Did you have 'new car replacement' insurance? How did you decide to upgrade to Touring trim?
Yes, the EX was totaled. It tboned a Ford F150 (that turned in front of it) at 63mph. My wife walked away with a little swelling on the bridge of her nose from her glasses and the airbag, so the car performed outstandingly in the accident.

I did have gap insurance, but if I didn't the difference was about $700 in what they paid out (minus deductible) and what i owed, so it was close. (California law goes a long way to help mitigate that)

I decided to upgrade to the touring because about a month after buying the EX, I thought, "I should have bought the Touring." lol So I did. I was going to look at the Accord Hybrid but couldn't beat the offer I got for the touring. I looked at the Accord because the EX was at it's max when it came to leg room. I'm a tall guy and had to have the seat all the way back in the EX. I thought I'd need it all the way back in the Touring, but much to my surprise, it has more room than the EX, without a doubt.

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
I looked at the Accord because the EX was at it's max when it came to leg room. I'm a tall guy and had to have the seat all the way back in the EX. I thought I'd need it all the way back in the Touring, but much to my surprise, it has more room than the EX, without a doubt.
Maybe the Touring's power seat controls take up less space than the EX's mechanical controls, netting more overall driver legroom...?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,330 Posts
Yes, the EX was totaled. It tboned a Ford F150 (that turned in front of it) at 63mph. My wife walked away with a little swelling on the bridge of her nose from her glasses and the airbag, so the car performed outstandingly in the accident.

I did have gap insurance, but if I didn't the difference was about $700 in what they paid out (minus deductible) and what i owed, so it was close. (California law goes a long way to help mitigate that)

I decided to upgrade to the touring because about a month after buying the EX, I thought, "I should have bought the Touring." lol So I did. I was going to look at the Accord Hybrid but couldn't beat the offer I got for the touring. I looked at the Accord because the EX was at it's max when it came to leg room. I'm a tall guy and had to have the seat all the way back in the EX. I thought I'd need it all the way back in the Touring, but much to my surprise, it has more room than the EX, without a doubt.
Glad you're both okay! Your Insight doesn't look as wrecked as I thought considering it ran into a truck at 63mph. :surprise:

I see you went with a white color this time. :wink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Did the emergency braking kick in at all? Although you probably weren't even paying attention to that at the time...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,330 Posts
Did the emergency braking kick in at all? Although you probably weren't even paying attention to that at the time...
I'm not sure how @dabfaces knew that he was going exactly 63mph(maybe he set ACC to 63mph?) upon impact considering we don't have a digital speedometer but CMBS braking doesn't happen above 62mph according to Honda.

The system(CMBS) activates when:
• The speed difference between your vehicle and a vehicle or pedestrian detected in front of you is about 3 mph (5 km/h) and over with a chance of a collision.
• Your vehicle speed is about 62 mph (100 km/h) or less and there is a chance of a collision with an oncoming detected vehicle or a pedestrian in front of you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe the Touring's power seat controls take up less space than the EX's mechanical controls, netting more overall driver legroom...?
As a tall person with an ex, the ex seat moves forward excessively using the height adjustment. The power seat probably does not have as bad of forward creep when raising the seat bottom, which tall people should do because its bad to sit with your knees above your hips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts