Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many know, I bought a new 2021 Insight EX to replace the 2019 Insight EX I passed down to my eldest son. With the 2019, it took some time to start posting 60+mpg numbers. This was likely due to the newness of the car as well as my unfamiliarity of driving it. Today, I filled up the tank for the second time since owning my 2021 EX. I always throw away the first tank numbers since I know the dealer let it idle (as evidenced by the 10 miles @ 18mpg upon acquisition) and the fuel level when new is in question. With that said, my second tank put up a 62.6mpg average over 475.7 miles - a 10mpg increase over the initial tank. Considering temps were averaging around 55 degrees during this tank, I'm extremely happy. I'm using the same gas station with both cars. It seems familiarity with the vehicle and knowing it's nuances are a key factor in good gas mileage.

I have a 200 mile round-trip to south Jersey this weekend. Hoping for good numbers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As a first time Honda buyer, I would not buy this car or any other Honda again. To many creeks and rattles for me. This car does not appear to hold it’s value very well. Every Toyota that I have owned... I have traded in or sold for above market value. This car gets awesome gas mileage and is fun to drive, but I feel the quality is subpar compared to Toyota. I foresee a hybrid highlander or venza in my future.

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Odd. I have yet to hear a single rattle or creak from either of my Insights.

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
3 Posts
This car gets awesome gas mileage and is fun to drive, but I feel the quality is subpar compared to Toyota. I foresee a hybrid highlander or venza in my future.
You should compare cars in the same class.

In 2019 I test drove the new generation Corolla Hybrid, Hyundai Ioniq and Honda Insight before deciding on the Insight. The Corolla reminded me of my first car, a 1999 Corolla I had for 12 years. It felt cheap, loud and small comparing to the Insight, which actually reminded me of my Dad's Accord. The funny thing is that the Toyota dealer asked for $27k firm for the Corolla while I paid $24k out of the door for the better equipped Insight.

There hasn't been a single issue with the Insight over the two years and 44,000 miles. No creak, no rattle. I foresee more Hondas in my future.

·
Registered
54 Posts
As a first time Honda buyer, I would not buy this car or any other Honda again. To many creeks and rattles for me. This car does not appear to hold it’s value very well. Every Toyota that I have owned... I have traded in or sold for above market value. This car gets awesome gas mileage and is fun to drive, but I feel the quality is subpar compared to Toyota. I foresee a hybrid highlander or venza in my future.
These are pretty cheap cars. That's kinda the point, I'd argue. You can't compare a 20k car to a 35k SUV. I'm with you on the rattles though. The speaker system generates a lot of woes for me. Resale is pretty great now if you are looking to switch. Carvana is willing to give me $23,700 for my 19 Touring. That's pretty decent I think. Maybe lost $1000 since purchase.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The speaker system generates a lot of woes for me.
The entire sound system may be the weakest point on this car (all trims). But there is a way around the speaker buzzing in rear by removing plastic deck and sound deadening the inner part of it (I guarantee you that will eliminate the noise).

·
Registered
54 Posts
The entire sound system may be the weakest point on this car (all trims). But there is a way around the speaker buzzing in rear by removing plastic deck and sound deadening the inner part of it (I guarantee you that will eliminate the noise).
So many parts to take off though :D

I've done the easy part of putting a few sound deadening sheets on the bottom but I still have to remove the top plastic and put some in between. I'm just super lazy.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Resale is pretty great now if you are looking to switch. Carvana is willing to give me $23,700 for my 19 Touring. That's pretty decent I think. Maybe lost $1000 since purchase.
Um, wow! You only paid $24.7k for a new Touring trim in 2019? That was the MSRP for the EX trim...

·
Registered
2020 Insight EX Crimson Pearl
147 Posts
Odd. I have yet to hear a single rattle or creak from either of my Insights.
My Insight is quiet too. No creaks, no rattles. When I had my dash taken apart to install my light kits someone suggested I look at the rattle in my center vent while I had the chance. I've never had any rattles in my vents. I dunno if it's because I have a 2020 and most of the vent rattling was in the 2019, or if I just got really lucky.

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess I had a little tailwind on the way to my daughter's dance class tonight.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Carvana did make a decent offer. I was shocked.
I am shocked as well! Before I bought my 2019 EX, I tried Carvana and the offers they gave me were so high that I thought that the site was a scam to get your email so that they can sell it to spammers. I was actually able to negotiate a much better price, in less than 5 minutes, directly with the dealer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I disagree. I have nearly 6000 miles on mine and I bought in October 2020. The only problem I've been having is that the Hands Free Link keeps resetting and failing to save my phone so I am frequently having to reconnect my phone to the hands free link. Since the temperature has been going up in my area my MPG has been going up from 40 - 45 to 50 Plus on the highway and 60 plus with city driving. No squeaks. No Rattles. Everything still feels as solid as the first day I drove the car. I've rented Toyotas and I was given a 2020 Toyota Camry as a loaner car when I had my 2011 Jetta in the shop last spring. The quality of the interior is filled with cheap feeling plastics. It handles pretty well, but the Interior wasn't to my liking. I test drove a Civic Sport before the Insight and I thought about the cost of gas and I'm glad I chose the Insight because it looks like gas is going to creep up to or near $4 per gallon. The hood shakes on the Insight at highway speeds (Weight Reduction) and the my Blue EX has an odd choice of Pearl white interior cloth (Solved with dark seat covers). Other than those issues, I haven't had a single problem worth mentioning.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
The only problem I've been having is that the Hands Free Link keeps resetting and failing to save my phone so I am frequently having to reconnect my phone to the hands free link.
Hopefully the latest (Apr 2021) infotainment update can help the consistency of your bluetooth connection (?). HandsFree phone link isn't directly mentioned, but other bluetooth connectivity issues (HondaLink, Bluetooth Audio/Art, reboots) are listed as being addressed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
@mcm626 I agree...Toyota is going downhill. I looked at the Venza and RAV4 this weekend. The limited trims are not even that nice. I love my Tundra...but I may be done with Toyot. Volvo’s XC 60 is looking nice and has a plug-in hybrid version available.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts