Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2022 GARMIN Map update just released, just found out today.

If true, this is the earliest release i have heard of for Honda.

I was surprised that I got a message on the infotainment screen today, that said New maps available.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I completed my installation a little while ago; it took 29 minutes after starting with the 16 MByte memory card populated by Garmin Express on my Windows system. A new version of Garmin Express had to be downloaded from the Garmin web site but once that was installed things went very smoothly. NOTE: Garmin is very specific in stating that a 16 MByte USB memory card or stick is required. Anything larger or smaller will not work although partioning a larger memory card will likely suffice. I should also point out the Garmin Express is insisting that there are updates still available after my download but every time I let it verify, it tells me that I am now up to date. SOLUTION: exit the Garmin Express software and do not let it automatically start up and run in the background.

I have not yet taken the car out for a spin with the new map update in place but I hope that some of the glitches from the previous version are resolved. In my case, I have a number of instances where the audio instructions tell me to go South while the details on the screen correctly point me North. Ditto for East and West at some locations. I also have the previous navigation maps take me home via a street behind my condo, through someone's garage and backyard and just for giggles a wooden fence. Someone at Garmin has a sense of humour :) I wonder what surprises are in store with the new map version. I suppose I could use Waise or Google Maps but that would not be nearly as entertaining.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah, I've experienced the same problem with the audio/visual mixing up the north/south, east/west directions. Pretty confusing if you aren't sure which is correct!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I suspect that the contents of the Garmin download are instructions for the display device to render the map for human eyes. This would take a lot less memory than downloading the actual map contents. The contents of the downloaded memory card appears to be a gazillion smallish files, each one corresponding to an area of the display that you might actually want to see. It would be interesting to see what would happen if you parked your car exactly on the border between two of these regions.

Someday, when the US/Canada border opens I hope to see this effect as I cross from Niagara Falls US to Niagara Falls Canada. On my old portable Garmin Device there was no actual instruction to cross over the bridge at that point but instead the device would have me go round and round on side streets near the border. It appeared as if these small map regions had a major disconnect between the two countries.This is where common sense has to take over and one would follow the actual traffic signs pointing to the border. Once in Canada, the Garmin portable device would then return to real world instructions and accurately point to major Canadian sites such as the nearest Tim Horton's. A.K.A washroom facilities :)

·
Registered
2019 Touring CosBlu
205 Posts
I got the notification from the infotainment screen, but after prepping the USB and going to Garmin Express (new download), Garmin said there was no update. Today I started Garmin up again, and now it says there is an update, but my USB needs to be refreshed by the Insight. Should work out I expect with one more try.

My biggest annoyances with Garmin nav is directing you to exit a ramp just to get back on, thinking that there is traffic to bypass (there isn't, traffic is moving at speed, but maybe there's no one on the off/on ramp). I'm almost sure that HDradio traffic data isn't as granular to predict local street traffic as well as Waze, Apple/Google maps with internet traffic so when we hit a real slow down, we sometimes switch to do a check on fastest route.

·
Registered
106 Posts

I've been at 1 minute for going on 5 hours now. Anyone else with a Mac having issues?

·
Registered
2019 Touring CosBlu
205 Posts
View attachment 6890

I've been at 1 minute for going on 5 hours now. Anyone else with a Mac having issues?
I'd give it a restart. I had to when I switched my wifi network to improve performance. Couldn't tell if it completely started over, but I didn't feel it stalled out. Was using Mac with USB 16GB. When I took it to the car, I had it in ACC mode with all other accessories off and brought a book...that took a bit to install but Power ON mode not needed and no battery issues after.

·
Registered
2019 Touring CosBlu
205 Posts
Drove today first time since putting in the Nav update. At first I thought the ACC behavior was smoother, but I think that was purely my wishful thinking. I didn't think the improved LKAS/ACC from the 2022 was coming to the 2019-2021s.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Drove today first time since putting in the Nav update. At first I thought the ACC behavior was smoother, but I think that was purely my wishful thinking. I didn't think the improved LKAS/ACC from the 2022 was coming to the 2019-2021s.
What was improved on the new 2022 tomorrow. First time I’ve heard of this

·
Registered
2019 Touring CosBlu
205 Posts
What was improved on the new 2022 tomorrow. First time I’ve heard of this
2022 owners could probably speak more to this but what I heard (and I was wishing for on the 2019-2021s) was smoother/centered lane keeping assistance as well as ACC accels/decels. Have felt that my LKAS is late in giving a steering nudge before getting too close to a stripe.

·
Registered
2019 Touring CosBlu
205 Posts
Appears that the latest update has real-time traffic installed. Or am I imagning it?
Touring has "real-time" traffic delivered through HD radio signals from the start. I don't quite find it as granular or up-to-date compared to Google/Apple/Waze...and it takes some time to process after you're already running along a route.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Touring has "real-time" traffic delivered through HD radio signals from the start. I don't quite find it as granular or up-to-date compared to Google/Apple/Waze...and it takes some time to process after you're already running along a route.
I like Waze as it has spontaneous and fast updates on road conditions but what I don’t like is that you cannot turn off send logs. I am sure those logs contain a lot of personal information. I tried turning it off several times but it turns itself back on which really bothers me, seems nefarious. I’ve started to use Apple Maps which now has alerts as well on the route.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts