Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda announced the 2022 Honda Insight 4 days ago and nobody noticed. :rolleyes: Nothing major just that the LX trim is no more. Honda did the same for the 2021 model year CRV Hybrid.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Ha, yes - kind of a sleeper announcement. Pricing on the EX and Touring "only" went up $200 for the 2022 model year, but eliminating the LX increases the Insight's cost of entry by almost $2.1k... with the EX being the lowest price model.

Eliminating the LX trim streamlines the US offerings down to two just like the Canadian market. Mexico still only gets one trim, but Japan maintains the most offerings (LX, EX, EX Prime, EX Black)... though I guess Honda could argue it's "just" two trims in name.

The "conspiracy theorist" in me believes this is yet another move by Honda toward slotting the next-gen Insight into the Gen11 Civic line-up. Specifically, the base/entry point becomes the CIVIC LX or Sport, and the "CIVIC hybrid" variant only gets offered in parallel to the conventional EX and Touring trims. It also sets Honda up for their glidepath to ditch gas-only engines by 2040, with the Insight becoming the Civic Hybrid of the future.

·
Registered
2020 Insight EX Crimson Pearl
147 Posts
Honda announced the 2022 Honda Insight 4 days ago and nobody noticed. :rolleyes: Nothing major just that the LX trim is no more. Honda did the same for the 2021 model year CRV Hybrid.
I did. Well, I was looking at the College Hills website last Thursday for the black Honda emblems (which I probably won't buy) and noticed there were install instructions for the 2022 Insight. I was like, "huh?". Then I went to 2022 Honda Insight - Hybrid of style and efficiency | Honda and it was there. I was going to make a post about it, but being an Insight forum I thought, "Surely someone has mentioned it," and I didn't want to look stupid lol. I usually keep up on all new posts (at least on threads that interest me) and didn't recall seeing anything. Then I did a search and came up with nothing. I still chose to not saying anything because I still didn't want to look stupid repeating something. Oh well.

Hey everyone! The new 2022 Insights are out!

There.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Am I safe in assuming the 2022 is not changing much from the 2021 since the stock photos are all the same? I am looking at a 2021 Touring, but was not sure if I should wait for 2022 or go with the 2021.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Am I safe in assuming the 2022 is not changing much from the 2021 since the stock photos are all the same? I am looking at a 2021 Touring, but was not sure if I should wait for 2022 or go with the 2021.
Yes, nothing has changed for the 2022 Insight (except price increase). Honda normally would announce changes, and the Honda announcement was noticeably devoid of detail. The 2021 Insight featured some mid-cycle refresh features, so also makes sense that there are no changes for the 2022 Insight.

Given that there's no change to the 2022 Insight, buying a 2021 model should net lower cost for same features. And if you're eyeing the LX trim at all, 2021 will be your last year to buy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm happy I went for the '21 Insight instead of waiting out the 2022 model. I wouldn't have gotten a great price on a 2022 Insight, and it doesn't seem like there were any meaningful changes.

I'm suprised to see an uptick in sales the past few months, because it seems like Honda has no real interest in selling this car. They likely have a broader strategy, but it is not communicated well. After discontinuing the LX, giving a timid price increase and shadow dropping the 2022 model, I wonder if they still content "playing around with electrics" for this car until it's eventual demise.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I was told wireless carplay maybe..??? only change...??? but I do not see it now.
Maybe you're thinking of the 2022 Civic instead. Under "what's new" for the Gen11 Civic, Honda lists "available 9-inch color touchscreen with wireless Apple CarPlay & Android Auto integration." However it's offered as an option/upgrade (vs standard feature) for the 2022 Civic Touring trim. The 2021 Accord (GenX Accord refresh) also picked up wireless CarPlay, so it's a good sign that it will be standard soon on Hondas to come...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m actually really surprised they didn’t change the interior to line up with the civic. The new Civic interior looks pretty amazing.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I’m actually really surprised they didn’t change the interior to line up with the civic. The new Civic interior looks pretty amazing.
I think it's just a year or two away. The 2022 Civic is an entirely new 'generation' (Gen11) over the 2016/GenX, while the Insight is still in its last year (or two) away from that.

·
Registered
193 Posts
People actually want to buy the LX? I'm being sarcastic here but I don't think ppl want to buy it and dealers don't want to order and sell it. I recall when we looked at it, the EX was only marginally more expensive for a lot more stuff.

Just like the $35k Tesla. You can still buy it, but who wants to?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I was very happy to buy an LX in 2019. Were I to buy one again, I'd do it all over again. . . even though that option is no longer available. . .

·
Registered
289 Posts
I finally saw another Insight in Grand Junction today. Don't know if it was a 2020 or a 2021, but it was Platinum White. (NOT white orchid pearl)!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, nothing has changed for the 2022 Insight (except price increase). Honda normally would announce changes, and the Honda announcement was noticeably devoid of detail. The 2021 Insight featured some mid-cycle refresh features, so also makes sense that there are no changes for the 2022 Insight.

Given that there's no change to the 2022 Insight, buying a 2021 model should net lower cost for same features. And if you're eyeing the LX trim at all, 2021 will be your last year to buy.
Some reviewers have noted that the 2022 Civic has improved driver aids, especially better lane keeping. I’m curious to know whether the same is true of the 2022 Insight. How would one find that out?

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Some reviewers have noted that the 2022 Civic has improved driver aids, especially better lane keeping. I’m curious to know whether the same is true of the 2022 Insight. How would one find that out?
[/QUOTE
Franko here- I just purchased a 2022 Insight Touring from a central Florida dealer. Only one in Central florida. None along the coast . Scarce due to chip problem. They attempted to place a dealer surcharge on selling price, like 1 K extra. They say new Civics touring will have a 2K surcharge due to availability. Their MSRP is nearly same as Insight touring. If you can find one at MSRP get it. Dealers are loading them down with extras whether you want them or not. Mine had $990 in extras . I didn't pay that much. As I said on another forum I traded a 2021 touring in on this one and they gave me 26K . I paid 28K plus normal stuff on 2021. Rumor, this may be last year for touring. They stopped making the LX series. Not enough profit. I'll update when I get more miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only thing that I notice with the new Civic is the traffic jam assist. The Insight shares tech with the Accord rather than the Civic.
Franko here- I just purchased a 2022 Insight Touring from a central Florida dealer. Only one in Central florida. None along the coast . Scarce due to chip problem. They attempted to place a dealer surcharge on selling price, like 1 K extra. They say new Civics touring will have a 2K surcharge due to availability. Their MSRP is nearly same as Insight touring. If you can find one at MSRP get it. Dealers are loading them down with extras whether you want them or not. Mine had $990 in extras . I didn't pay that much. As I said on another forum I traded a 2021 touring in on this one and they gave me 26K . I paid 28K plus normal stuff on 2021. Rumor, this may be last year for touring. They stopped making the LX series. Not enough profit. I'll update when I get more miles on it.
Any reason why you traded in for the 2022 model year? Nothing changed between 2021 to 2022...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts