Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 2022 Touring and after the first 2000 miles, I noticed I'm getting an MPG in the low 40s (40/41). The most recent trip is 38.6 MPG. Should I take it in to get it checked? I live in an urban city with mixed city/highway driving.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,205 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Are you sitting in bad traffic while using the AC set at a really low temp?" In the last week or so, yeah.

"Tire pressure at recommended levels?" Looks ok here

I will check the average distance, but I have been getting around 375-400 miles per tank. Taking the range down to <5 miles remaining just to get over 400 miles...

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,771 Posts
38.6 is awful unless you're on low tire pressures and hauling a**. I haven't found a/c to be that much of a hit to numbers over the last few years. Taking it to the dealer to get checked out won't do much if there are no warning lights on. They'd just scan it and tell you all is well - which it probably is. Tire pressures is #1 on the list to check. By "looks ok," does that mean visually only, or did you actually put a pressure gauge on to verify? Next on the list would be the speeds you drive - faster is worse.

Question - what driving mode are you in primarily? If you're in sport mode and driving it like you stole it, there would be the culprit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
When I am driving over 70 MPH, it is difficult to get over 40mpg, and at 80+, difficult to keep it in the 30s mpg. But today's trip, traffic kept me down to 60 MPH, and I got 53.3 MPG. You can see my life time average in my signature line.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,205 Posts
I haven't found a/c to be that much of a hit to numbers over the last few years.
For me it really depends how long of a trip and if I'm sitting in gridlock like traffic. Short trip(5 miles) + gridlock traffic with AC set at 70-72 I would get about 40-45mpg(EX - Insight) depending on how hot it is outside. If traffic was repeated stops for a couple seconds and moving along at a decent pace then AC usage doesn't seem to have much impact. A moving vehicle helps push air over the condenser which allows the AC to work more efficiently.

In the last week or so, yeah.
If it was gridlock type of traffic then 39mpg in a Touring doesn't seem that surprising to me. It's sort of like idling with the AC on since you're barely moving.

·
Registered
2021 Insight EX
99 Posts
Just drove to NY and back to Detroit. Going east, I was able to get 62mpg on my first half tank. I spent most of the time drafting behind semis doing around 65. Geezer that I am, I made sure every rest stop was well maintained. Getting back on the x-way, I used Sport mode to merge with traffic. Second half tank dropped by 10 mpg, mostly because I couldn't find trucks going the right speed. Also, it rained cats and dogs once I got into NJ.

On the way back, I had a hard time getting to 55mpg, same tactic. I think the difference was wind direction. Trailing vs head winds makes a huge difference. Eco vs normal made no difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not to be too much of a jerk, could be the driver, not the car. This was my first hybrid and it took me a bit to stop driving it like a regular car.
My wife drives the Insight differently from me and we see a 10 mpg difference with the driver being the only variable. she does not let the car recuperate as much energy during braking, and she pushes the engine rpm higher which is less fuel efficient.

All this is saying, you can check tire pressure and everything about the car, but the biggest factor on mpg is the driver.

·
Registered
Silver 2021 Insight Touring
4 Posts
There is a lot of great advice on this site for getting the most out of your Insight. I've learned a lot reading through the different posts. The great thing about the Insight is you can drive it like a normal car and you will get decent mileage for a "normal car." My experience is if you drive it with the goal of getting better mpg and still being comfortable and driving posted speed limits, the car will reward you with quite good mpg. My normal commute is 32 miles round trip with gently rolling hills, some stop and go traffic and a top speed of 45-50. It usually takes 35 to 40 minutes for the commute. In other words perfect for my '21 Insight Touring. I average low to mid 60's for the round trip commute. My wife and I took a trip from North Carolina to Bonita Springs, Florida so the vast majority of the mileage was highway miles. With both my wife and I driving and keeping it at 70-72MPH and using cruise extensively as well as the airco on we averaged 50.63 mpg for the trip. We had 5054 miles on the odometer when we started out on the trip. We've owned the Insight since the beginning of March this year. We have been very pleased with this great little car. Up next is a visit to my family in Indiana which means going over the Blue Ridge Mountains.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Just drove to NY and back to Detroit. Going east, I was able to get 62mpg on my first half tank. I spent most of the time drafting behind semis doing around 65. Geezer that I am, I made sure every rest stop was well maintained. Getting back on the x-way, I used Sport mode to merge with traffic. Second half tank dropped by 10 mpg, mostly because I couldn't find trucks going the right speed. Also, it rained cats and dogs once I got into NJ.

On the way back, I had a hard time getting to 55mpg, same tactic. I think the difference was wind direction. Trailing vs head winds makes a huge difference. Eco vs normal made no difference.
Traveling on wet roads and heavy rain will reduce your mpg. Tires don't roll as easy since it needs to work harder to eject the water.
I checked the pressure on the tires today, rear-right seemed a bit low.... Specs on the car frame said 35/32. I added air to all to 38/38, will update after next fill up.
There is a lot of great advice on this site for getting the most out of your Insight. I've learned a lot reading through the different posts. The great thing about the Insight is you can drive it like a normal car and you will get decent mileage for a "normal car." My experience is if you drive it with the goal of getting better mpg and still being comfortable and driving posted speed limits, the car will reward you with quite good mpg......
I really appreciate this thread as it neatly summarizes stuff that I've found to improve mpg.
Here on the Oregon coast wind (to 35 mph) is a frequent mpg challenge as is wet roads. Either one can have a 3-5 mpg impact on a 50 mile drive at around 40 mph.
I've made two round trips to Eugene over the past month. Usually I can manage the low 50's mpg for the roughly 250 mile round trip. But this time I focused in on my battery management for hill climbing (crossing the coast range between the coast and the Willamette Valley) and was able to make to the the upper 50's mpg. With the help of a strong tail wind (and no vehicles directly behind) on the second trip I came in with an amazing 59.8 mpg !!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts