Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to pickup a 2022 Touring. One of the factors in getting it though is how difficult it is to replace the head unit.

I had a 2017 Civic Hatchback Touring before with the "premium" audio system that had a factory amp.. There was something about that whole setup that made it almost impossible to swap out the HU without also installing a new amp. and speakers.

Is the Insight Touring this bad?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,685 Posts
On the plus side, you don't need to worry about the LaneWatch camera anymore with a 2022 model. @Verdier can shed insight on the factory amp. I believe he still used it but needed to disable the ANC to do so. Here I am, still sitting in "stock" land.

Reactions: darien.day

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember now a little bit of the problems with the Civic. Its factory amp. used some digital connection to the HU so you had to either tap into every speakers' wire to get that signal for replacement speaker or just bypass the factory amp. altogether which introduced other issues.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
736 Posts
I have the opportunity to pickup a 2022 Touring. One of the factors in getting it though is how difficult it is to replace the head unit.

I had a 2017 Civic Hatchback Touring before with the "premium" audio system that had a factory amp.. There was something about that whole setup that made it almost impossible to swap out the HU without also installing a new amp. and speakers.

Is the Insight Touring this bad?
You're not going to replace the head unit in the Touring model. It's necessary for using too many of the car's functions. What you need to do for sound enhancement on this car is add equipment after the factory amp. Things such as DSP, speakers, extra sub or amps in order to get your system's sound up to par.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're not going to replace the head unit in the Touring model. It's necessary for using too many of the car's functions. What you need to do for sound enhancement on this car is add equipment after the factory amp. Things such as DSP, speakers, extra sub or amps in order to get your system's sound up to par.
Bummer. With my Toyota, all I needed was an idatalink Maestro RR2 and that enabled the replacement HU to display almost everything the factory HU did (vehicle specific functions too). I see that the RR2 doesn't list many Hondas in its compatibility list, if any at all.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Bummer. With my Toyota, all I needed was an idatalink Maestro RR2 and that enabled the replacement HU to display almost everything the factory HU did (vehicle specific functions too). I see that the RR2 doesn't list many Hondas in its compatibility list, if any at all.
I think the head unit works fine on the car overall. If you're main goal is to get the stereo sounding better then you won't need to replace the head unit at all.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I was fiddling with a Touring months ago and found all the critical controls on the head unit available on the dash console that is controlled by the steering wheel controls. To me, that is just redundancy and you can take advantage of it if you replace the head unit. Unless you absolutely want to control things from the head unit.

if it was me, I would change the head unit out as aftermarket has so many other options. It might be doable. Just check out the thread on changing head units on an LX and you’ll get an idea of what your going to go through if you decide to do it.

Thus thread makes me want to get my hands on a Touring so badly just to change out the head unit.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'm wondering if the telematics or other features present in higher model might be affected by changing out the head unit. Quite frankly I don't know how essential the head unit is on the EX or Touring model. I wouldn't really use the LX as a good example since it's missing a lot of features found in the head unit on EX and especially Touring models. I guys someone with more knowledge is going to have to play with this idea.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm wondering if the telematics or other features present in higher model might be affected by changing out the head unit. Quite frankly I don't know how essential the head unit is on the EX or Touring model. I wouldn't really use the LX as a good example since it's missing a lot of features found in the head unit on EX and especially Touring models. I guys someone with more knowledge is going to have to play with this idea.
Yeah that is a possibility since OP had a problem with a 2017 civic touring .

You should test it and buy an open box head unit from Best Buy and buy the Civic wiring harness to see if it hooks right up. You could always return the head unit and possibly harness.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Oh no wait you have an aftermarket system on your car and OP wants to know if it’ll hook right up to a stock system.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,113 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I was fiddling with a Touring months ago and found all the critical controls on the head unit available on the dash console that is controlled by the steering wheel controls. To me, that is just redundancy and you can take advantage of it if you replace the head unit. Unless you absolutely want to control things from the head unit.
Majority of the vehicle settings can only be modified within the head unit on EX and Touring. (Walk Away Auto Lock, various door lock, lighting, alert options, Honda Sense configs). DII behind the instrument cluster only allows turning on/off RDM or CMBS plus maintenance reset.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Majority of the vehicle settings can only be modified within the head unit on EX and Touring. (Walk Away Auto Lock, various door lock, lighting, alert options, Honda Sense configs). DII behind the instrument cluster only allows turning on/off RDM or CMBS plus maintenance reset.
Thx for confirming the LX is the best trim ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts