Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got 58.48 MPG on my last tank. Keep in mind that I own the "Touring" model which is a little heavier ! I went 557 miles. I love this car !

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not quite there yet. I've owned a Touring for about 3 months (3500 miles), but just now breaking 51 mpgs. No complaints here, love the car and the great gas mileage!! I may just make the 500 club in the coming weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, that's about the mileage, 3500 - 4000 miles, that I started getting much better MPG. every tank since has gone higher and higher. I just went over 7000 miles this week.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Your route is the number one problem I find when getting gas mileage. Some of you have watched my videos and I have a route to work that involves a back road with rolling hills and then about a 24 mile stint on the expressway. If you've seen my videos then you've seen my back road part of the drive in the VERY mediocre droning video I made and in the touring I average 55.6mpg on that part. Once I hit the expressway to work (which seems to be in a downhill slope overall) my average drops to 51.5mpg. when I drive the expressway home I'm down to about 47.8mpg until I hit the back roads then I pop back up to about an average of about 51mpg. Unfortunately this is the best route I can find so I'm averaging about 49 to 51mpg in a touring at about 60 to 70 degrees outside. Sorry for the long rant, but just wanted to point out how a route alone can really downgrade your mpg. Speed kills 😉

·
Registered
123 Posts
Your route is the number one problem I find when getting gas mileage. Some of you have watched my videos and I have a route to work that involves a back road with rolling hills and then about a 24 mile stint on the expressway. If you've seen my videos then you've seen my back road part of the drive in the VERY mediocre droning video I made and in the touring I average 55.6mpg on that part. Once I hit the expressway to work (which seems to be in a downhill slope overall) my average drops to 51.5mpg. when I drive the expressway home I'm down to about 47.8mpg until I hit the back roads then I pop back up to about an average of about 51mpg. Unfortunately this is the best route I can find so I'm averaging about 49 to 51mpg in a touring at about 60 to 70 degrees outside. Sorry for the long rant, but just wanted to point out how a route alone can really downgrade your mpg. Speed kills 😉
Exactly the reason why I will never make the 500 club :sad:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My drive to work is 60% highway with speeds of 65 to 70 and 40% city. And I get around 52 to 57 mpg and my way home if the same but I get stuck in traffic jams on my route and the mileage is around the same maybe slightly higher. The temperatures in the morning is around 60 to 70 and on the way home it’s around 80 to 90.
I also do a side gig called amazon flex and I use my insight to deliver packages to customer homes. Depending on the area I can get 52 mpg to 63 mpg in temps of 80 to 90 I do about 50 to 110 miles a day. I owned my insight for about 3.5 weeks so far.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
I would love to drive on that scenic back-road with no traffic lights as my daily commute. :surprise::grin:

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-KzajZFWwE
I would love to drive on that scenic back-road with no traffic lights as my daily commute. :surprise::grin:
That's pretty much what my 50-mile daily commute consists of. :D
I also have similar 'scenic' rolling hill daily drive on backroads with posted speed limit of 40 mph, but with a few added/unwanted factors hurting mpg:
- 2 potential stoplights (i.e. at the mercy of stoplight timing)
- variable congestion depending on time of day
- 500 ft hill on one end of drive (which results in ~20 mpg difference going vs returning)

On perfect 'stopless' drives I've gotten 75+ mpg including the downhill, and 55 mpg on the return uphill climb.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
I deal with...

• bumper to bumper traffic
  • construction
  • pedestrians
  • bicyclists
  • poorly timed traffic lights
09 Civic (25-28mpg) 17 fusion AWD (20-23mpg) 19 Insight (52mpg)

The Insight being designed for stop and go helps a lot with preserving gas and oil condition. Still would love to have the scenic back roads since I love driving where as in the city it feels like I'm crawling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I commute ~1hr/~50 miles from the Atlanta Falcons training camp area to the U of Georgia area. The drive is moderately hilly (Google maps indicates a one way 1355ft ascent and 1900ft descent and vice versa for the return trip roughly based on bicycling a similar route).
Average 60mpg+ each way (2019 EX). Dash indicates my overall average since owning the car is ~58mpg. Car stays in Eco mode, I typically stick to the right lanes, make every effort to feather the gas, obviously coast when possible, and basically drive like a granny with slow acceleration and staying slightly under the speed limit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
how to do trip odometer and monitor fuel effeciancy

Super basic question here. Sorry. How do I set a trip odometer with a new tank of gas? And how do I monitor and effect the fuel economy I'm getting?

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
Super basic question here. Sorry. How do I set a trip odometer with a new tank of gas? And how do I monitor and effect the fuel economy I'm getting?
The car provides a few options for tracking via "trip" meters. There are two trip meters (A, B) that can be reset in different ways (when refueled, when ignition turns off, or manually). The default for both trip meters is the manual setting.

To set the ' Trip A' meters for automatic reset when refueled, use the rolling dial on the left side of steering wheel to scroll to and select the following:
  • Vehicle Settings --> Meter Setup (NOTE: push the scroll button to select the desired menu option after finding it via scrolling)
  • Scroll to and select 'Trip A Reset Timing'
  • Scroll to and select 'When Refueled'
  • Scroll to and select 'Exit' until out of all menus
Check out the attachments below and this thread on "Trip Summary" for perspective on different ways forum members manage their Trip A and Trip B meters. Note that there isn't a "lifetime" mpg tracker on the car; miles traveled is the only lasting measure; other measures can get reset/lost (e.g. software update).

For fuel economy feedback, I suggest the "Range & Fuel" option on the Drivers Information Interface. It displays average fuel economy and instant fuel economy for Trip A or Trip B. You can toggle between Trip A and Trip B by using the "TRIP" button located to the left of the steering wheel, below the side air vent.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think your biggest worry is people texting while trying to drive. 2 lane roads enhance head on collisions. Please be alert and be safe.

·
Registered
836 Posts
The car provides a few options for tracking via "trip" meters. There are two trip meters (A, B) that can be reset in different ways (when refueled, when ignition turns off, or manually). The default for both trip meters is the manual setting.

To set the ' Trip A' meters for automatic reset when refueled, use the rolling dial on the left side of steering wheel to scroll to and select the following:
  • Vehicle Settings --> Meter Setup (NOTE: push the scroll button to select the desired menu option after finding it via scrolling)
  • Scroll to and select 'Trip A Reset Timing'
  • Scroll to and select 'When Refueled'
  • Scroll to and select 'Exit' until out of all menus
Check out the attachments below and this thread on "Trip Summary" for perspective on different ways forum members manage their Trip A and Trip B meters. Note that there isn't a "lifetime" mpg tracker on the car; miles traveled is the only lasting measure; other measures can get reset/lost (e.g. software update).

For fuel economy feedback, I suggest the "Range & Fuel" option on the Drivers Information Interface. It displays average fuel economy and instant fuel economy for Trip A or Trip B. You can toggle between Trip A and Trip B by using the "TRIP" button located to the left of the steering wheel, below the side air vent.
I use trip b for lifetime (until she accidentally resets it someday), and trip a for refills.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts