Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to share a secret to get better then epa mpg. Ive averaged 48-50mpg most of it's 22k life and that's driving very conservatively. So what's the trick? I bought new engine and cabin filters from Amazon, the old ones very dirty at 22k, and that helped increase to 55 mpg average driving conservatively. The other variable was my alternate commute to work I try not going over 55 mph and try to cruise on Ev mode downhill and flat roads as much as possible. Another trick is to buy ethanol free gasoline, and so far Ive been getting 62 MPG average along with the before mentioned driving habits. It's incredible the increase in mpg from these simple changes. Wish y'all luck on the roads!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Insight EX
25 Posts
Another trick is to buy ethanol free gasoline...
Looks like the most likely place to find ethanol-free gasoline is at a marina or small airport. IOW, it's not widely distributed, since automobile ICEs are designed to burn ethanol mixed gas. But there's no question that ethanol has fewer BTUs than gasoline, thus affecting fuel efficiency.

So, my question: where are you finding pure gasoline and how does the price compare to ethanol-mixed gasoline?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in central Texas and a few select gas stations offer it. Price is similar to premium. Ethanol free is 90 octane and premium is usually 93. I always get premium anyways as it makes the Insight a quiet and smooth ride.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Looks like the most likely place to find ethanol-free gasoline is at a marina or small airport. IOW, it's not widely distributed, since automobile ICEs are designed to burn ethanol mixed gas. But there's no question that ethanol has fewer BTUs than gasoline, thus affecting fuel efficiency.

So, my question: where are you finding pure gasoline and how does the price compare to ethanol-mixed gasoline?
In Florida, most Wawa gas stations carry ethanol free 89 octane at 1/3 of their pumps. It’s price is usually between 91 and 93 octane gas. I use it on my motorcycles and lawn mowers. The lawn mower runs much smoother and the motorcycles get better gas mileage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just purchased a 2022 Insight EX. The intent is to practice basic hypermiling. I have already boosted the tire pressure to the max 44 psi. Also, some O.Z. Ultraleggera wheels have been ordered, and they only weigh 14.7 lbs each.

The MPGs on the first tankful were already 58.7, hand calculated by Wayne Gerdes method. I cannot wait for this engine to get broken in, and for myself to get a better feel for how to massage the foot on the gas pedal.

Will stay tuned.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,643 Posts
I just purchased a 2022 Insight EX. The intent is to practice basic hypermiling. I have already boosted the tire pressure to the max 44 psi. Also, some O.Z. Ultraleggera wheels have been ordered, and they only weigh 14.7 lbs each.

The MPGs on the first tankful were already 58.7, hand calculated by Wayne Gerdes method. I cannot wait for this engine to get broken in, and for myself to get a better feel for how to massage the foot on the gas pedal.

Will stay tuned.
Your tire pressure should be a good balance of higher pressure versus the condition of the roads. High pressure and potholes don't mix well. That said, I run at 40psi and put up numbers on the low-to-mid-60s easily. Also, speed kills (mpgs).

·
Registered
392 Posts
Years and years ago when ethanol first came in I compared the mpg hit for my '96 Saturn. I found my highway mpg was about the same with ethanol, but that in town driving took most of the mpg hit.

. ......and try to cruise on Ev mode downhill and flat roads as much as possible.
I do the nearly exact opposite. I use EV to climb hills and to standing start accelerate. I use the gravity boost from the downhill to charge battery and/or increase speed, and flat roads at steady speed for low rpm battery charging (with or without Sport mode).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm jealous now granted I only have 650 miles on mine thus far I am sitting right around 45mpg on average

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm jealous now granted I only have 650 miles on mine thus far I am sitting right around 45mpg on average
Not too bad. Biggest single thing one can do to get higher mpg is to put some extra air in the tires (over the recommended levels). Hasard runs 40 front 40 rear. I run 40 front 39 rear (for better back end grip during hard cornering). Then check and adjust pressures once a month, especially as it gets colder in the months to come.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hand calculate only. The big variable is exactly how much fuel is used.
Wayne Gerdes of hypermiling fame uses a technique whereby the accordian evap piece at the nozzle is pinched, and fuel is filled up right to the edge.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,643 Posts
Do you have a pic of your trip recorder to validate? Had my highest mpg on a tank fill-up recently at 73.2 mpg over 550 miles:
Why would he need a pic of his trip meter to validate? Miles_driven/gallons_used manually (or fuelly.com) calculated at fill-up is the only accurate way to get a number.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts