Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I've noticed a noise coming from under the hood when I turn on the AC. The noise is usually the loudest when the AC is initially turned on and does usually quiet down within a minute or two. I've also noticed that the noise usually occurs when the engine is cold or after sitting for a few hours after being driven.

In this video you can hear the the AC noise that I am referring to. The gas engine is not on at this point and does not come on at anytime during the video. The noise starts out rather loud and does get noticeably quieter minutes after having the AC on.

Is this noise normal operation?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,102 Posts
Not sure if it's normal sound, but I haven't heard it myself. The video almost sounds like a compressor-type noise and/or similar to a refrigerator condenser fan (?).

Also not entirely related (since you mentioned engine was off), but your mention reminded me of this post where vibration was called out with A/C and engine running. https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/13624-post9.html

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking its a fan of some sort.... I'm not totally sure. Would be interested to see if any other owners had a similar sound. Maybe it's totally normal... Maybe it's not? Either way, inquiring minds would like to know.

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
Mine is nowhere near that loud. If in doubt, visit the dealer. You can always fire up their demo Insight to compare yours to. If theirs is quiet when the AC is running, you have a problem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s just the compressor. It’s electric. Mine sounds the same. Works beautifully.
And it does work beautifully... blows COLD air really quickly! Even today when the air temperature was 82 degrees but the feels like was 93. Can you say HOLY HUMIDITY! :smile: :smile:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is nowhere near that loud. If in doubt, visit the dealer. You can always fire up their demo Insight to compare yours to. If theirs is quiet when the AC is running, you have a problem.
I've been meaning to do that. I just HATE going to the dealer. :sad:

·
Registered
332 Posts
He has his hood open and it's being recorded through his phone. It's impossible to know unless we had two cars next to each other to compare. I wouldn't be alarmed too much.. Take it to the dealership and listen to another car.

·
Registered
332 Posts
And it does work beautifully... blows COLD air really quickly! Even today when the air temperature was 82 degrees but the feels like was 93. Can you say HOLY HUMIDITY! :smile: :smile:
Lol - yes I am in Florida.. I am going to go out and take a video of mine in a minute.

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
He has his hood open and it's being recorded through his phone. It's impossible to know unless we had two cars next to each other to compare. I wouldn't be alarmed too much.. Take it to the dealership and listen to another car.
Good point. He can hear his A/C running from inside the car. I can't tho.

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
I went out and recorded mine for comparison. Even in the garage, it's not that loud - just a little "whirr."

The more I hear other's videos, they are all likely "normal."

·
Registered
332 Posts
Interesting point of comparison. I rewatched hasarad's video and saw the display showed exterior temperature of 69F.
I was fascinated with the ac system since day one. It is pretty neat how it works. It can run really quiet but when it’s hot as heck out it goes full bore. I have noticed until the interior cools down and the fan calms down my mpg is worse. This is no doubt because the compressor is working harder than normal.

·
Super Moderator
4,102 Posts
I was fascinated with the ac system since day one. It is pretty neat how it works. It can run really quiet but when it’s hot as heck out it goes full bore. I have noticed until the interior cools down and the fan calms down my mpg is worse. This is no doubt because the compressor is working harder than normal.
So maybe running the climate control at manual (vs automatic) temperature setting would help manage the cooling/mpg balance? Or if you run the temperature setting on "HI" (vs "LO") I wonder when the fan would stop? We haven't hit hot weather in my area yet, but I planned to run temperature setting as high as possible (or have A/C button off) to minimize A/C usage.

·
Super Moderator
2,713 Posts
I run my AC manually so I can control the fan speed. I like the Insight's AC, it gets cold quickly, and it's quiet.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good point. He can hear his A/C running from inside the car. I can't tho.
I cannot hear it from inside the vehicle. What brought it to my attention is one day I was getting ready to leave, had the garage open and the car was running but I hadn't left yet. I needed to run inside as I had forgotten something on the kitchen counter (go me!) and when I got out of the vehicle I had noticed the noise. I didn't have time to investigate further at that moment but over the past couple of weeks I have been able to get the car going and roll the window down or even be outside of the vehicle enough times to be able to gauge when the noise is present and when it is not.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts