Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to switch to accessory mode on the Insight's push-button ignition without having to power down first?

This CivicX forum (for cars with push-button start with traditional gear shift lever) mentions that pushing the shift lever release button before power button will switch from RUN to ACCESSORY... but the Insight has push-button gear selector & no shift lever release. The post also suggests switching to Neutral before powering down as an alternative, but I honestly haven't attempted yet.

I'm deterred from trying based on the attached page for the Insight, which implies that getting to ACCESSORY mode is "one-directional" from when the car is off... BUT on on older/traditional keyed ignitions, before powering the car down from “3 / RUN”, you could switch to “2 / ON” (all electronics) or “1 / ACCESSORY” (some electronics) before totally turning the car off at “0 / LOCK" - and I'd like to replicate this.

Does anyone have experience with these steps working on newer push-button Civics or Accords, or know of better/different way to get to ACCESSORY mode on the Insight without powering down?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
Is there a way to switch to accessory mode on the Insight's push-button ignition without having to power down first?

This CivicX forum (for cars with push-button start with traditional gear shift lever) mentions that pushing the shift lever release button before power button will switch from RUN to ACCESSORY... but the Insight has push-button gear selector & no shift lever release. The post also suggests switching to Neutral before powering down as an alternative, but I honestly haven't attempted yet.

I'm deterred from trying based on the attached page for the Insight, which implies that getting to ACCESSORY mode is "one-directional" from when the car is off... BUT on on older/traditional keyed ignitions, before powering the car down from “3 / RUN”, you could switch to “2 / ON” (all electronics) or “1 / ACCESSORY” (some electronics) before totally turning the car off at “0 / LOCK" - and I'd like to replicate this.

Does anyone have experience with these steps working on newer push-button Civics or Accords, or know of better/different way to get to ACCESSORY mode on the Insight without powering down?
This has been an issue with push button start for awhile even with other automakers. You have to sort of trick the system by putting it in reverse/neutral while pushing the start button. I think requiring your foot on the brake while pushing the start button to turn the car off similar to starting up would fix this issue. So you can then push the start button once during engine on to put it in accessory mode. I'm not sure why automakers still have not implement this solution but they probably have a good reason to not "fix" it. I'm just assuming they worry if they require a foot on brake plus pushing the start button after driving will result an increase of people just pushing the start button thinking the car is fully off.

The owners manual not mentioning a solution to this probably means they don't recommend tricking the system to go into accessory mode either...

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Civic and Accord (gas-driven) show multi-directional arrows between "ON" and "ACCESSORY" - suggesting that you can get to accessory mode without powering down. These cars have push-button start but ALSO have a traditional 'stick' gear selector... so maybe that's the key? Snapshot from the Accord and Civic manuals are attached.

The Clarity, Accord Hybrid, and Insight manuals show only one one-way direction to get to "ACCESSORY" mode. They also have push-button start but push-button gear selector. If this is the limiting factor, it's one of the first negatives I'd count against having the push-button gear selector.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
If you press the button and the shift lever is not in Park, the vehicle goes into Accessory mode.
The car went into park automatically and shut down instead of going into Accessory mode when I tried earlier.

If the POWER button is pressed while the vehicle is in car wash mode, the power mode will change to ACCESSORY.
This one worked but if I shift to park the car will shut down.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you press the button and the shift lever is not in Park, the vehicle goes into Accessory mode.
The car went into park automatically and shut down instead of going into Accessory mode when I tried earlier.
Thanks for verifying. It seemed a little odd that the diagram didn't show the "reverse direction/arrow" option to go from ON to Accessory. I'd still LIKE for it to work, though... and misleading that the Owners Guide mentions it but it doesn't hold true.

If the POWER button is pressed while the vehicle is in car wash mode, the power mode will change to ACCESSORY.
This one worked but if I shift to park the car will shut down.
I'll try this next time when I want to shut down the car but continue a phone conversation. Since the car was in Neutral vs Park when you pressed the Power button, I assume you needed to leave your foot on the brake until you wanted to exit accessory mode...?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Going from power on to accessory on

I know how to put the Insight into Accessory mode (one or two presses of the power button), but after the car has been running, is there a way to switch to Accessory mode without turning the car completely off?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know how to put the Insight into Accessory mode (one or two presses of the power button), but after the car has been running, is there a way to switch to Accessory mode without turning the car completely off?
Not sure if this is correct but I believe I made it happen this afternoon by mistake. I think, while the car was running and in park, I pressed the start button without my foot on the brake, and the car went into accessory mode.

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
Pushing the power button while in car wash mode makes the car go to accessory mode but your foot has to be on the brake pedal otherwise your car could move due to it being in neutral(engaging the parking e-brake might work, too). Putting the car into park after you push the power button in car wash mode will turn the car off though. This is the only one I have discovered so far.

Not sure if this is correct but I believe I made it happen this afternoon by mistake. I think, while the car was running and in park, I pressed the start button without my foot on the brake, and the car went into accessory mode.
Odd... That's how I shut off my car. :confused:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Pushing the power button while in car wash mode makes the car go to accessory mode but your foot has to be on the brake pedal otherwise your car could move due to it being in neutral(engaging the parking e-brake might work, too). Putting the car into park after you push the power button in car wash mode will turn the car off though. This is the only one I have discovered so far.

Odd... That's how I shut off my car. :confused:
I think you are right and my info is incorrect. I am going out to try this in a few minutes.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Added/merged your question to existing thread on same topic. See earlier posts for prior discussion/info...

Pressing the "Power" button while in "Car Wash Mode" (press/hold Neutral button twice - see pg 461 in Owners Manual) switches the car to accessory mode, and requires your foot to stay on brake (or parking brake?) while accessory mode is in use, until finally powered down.

Other than that, there's no known option for going from ON to Accessory mode. The diagram in the Owners Manual (pg 190) only shows one-directional progression OFF to Accessory to ON to OFF with each button press.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts