Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a stupid thing.My TPMS light came on because the dealer let out air in front tires to 32 like Civics , S/B 35 in front and 32 rear. I filled to 35 in front, TPMS light came on. I seen a Honda video how to recalibrate using steering wheel controls. I couldn't find settings. I found out how to restore to factory settings. I clicked on that and previous oil percentage was at 90%, at 500 miles was restored to 100%. I now have 1500 miles and oil is still at 100%. I called service and they said never seen that before. So, is the oil sensor for real or fake? In regard to TPMS , I later found out that the video was for an LX and not Touring. On Touring , on main screen click on settings and click on recalibrate. TPMS finally disappeared.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If it was me I’d probably treat it like it’s reading 10% off and change the oil at 25%. I almost did the same thing on mine...factory reset, but for a different reason. Lots of new stuff to learn on these things!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did a stupid thing.My TPMS light came on because the dealer let out air in front tires to 32 like Civics , S/B 35 in front and 32 rear. I filled to 35 in front, TPMS light came on. I seen a Honda video how to recalibrate using steering wheel controls. I couldn't find settings. I found out how to restore to factory settings. I clicked on that and previous oil percentage was at 90%, at 500 miles was restored to 100%. I now have 1500 miles and oil is still at 100%. I called service and they said never seen that before. So, is the oil sensor for real or fake? In regard to TPMS , I later found out that the video was for an LX and not Touring. On Touring , on main screen click on settings and click on recalibrate. TPMS finally disappeared.
As I've understood the oil reset, the car's computer would treat the oil life as if fresh oil were put in whenever you do the reset. So the car is going to "think" that the oil at 1500 miles is brand new and will adjust to mileage and driving style. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
As I've understood the oil reset, the car's computer would treat the oil life as if fresh oil were put in whenever you do the reset. So the car is going to "think" that the oil at 1500 miles is brand new and will adjust to mileage and driving style. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I think your summary is correct for oil life interpretation after reset. However the concern franko1927 described is that 1k miles after reset, the oil life is still reading 100%.

I think this is occurring because the "100%" reading is really a range from 91-100%, rather than a actual measure of life remaining. If oil change recommendation (15%) will be triggered at 10k miles as most people are estimating/projecting, every 10% of oil life would correspond to ~1.2k miles driven. So, with 1k miles driven since last reset, franko1927 may have been just under the mileage where the % life range changes, so was still seeing the 100% indicator.

Net, for the question on whether the oil sensor is real or fake -- the oil sensor is a directional rather than exact measure, and represents a range of oil life remaining, rather than a real time % number.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I was recently fiddling around with the maintenance reminder section on my Insight and I accidentally reset all the reminders. This caused by oil life percentage to revert back to 100%. I know that when I reset it, my oil life percentage was at 50%.

Is it safe to assume that I should now get an oil change when my oil life percentage reaches 60%-50%? (This will be my second oil change for my Insight). Also, should I be concerned about all the other reminds I reset, too?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I was recently fiddling around with the maintenance reminder section on my Insight and I accidentally reset all the reminders. This caused by oil life percentage to revert back to 100%. I know that when I reset it, my oil life percentage was at 50%.

Is it safe to assume that I should now get an oil change when my oil life percentage reaches 60%-50%? (This will be my second oil change for my Insight). Also, should I be concerned about all the other reminds I reset, too?

Thank you!
Did you just reset the oil life or ALL DUE ITEMS? If it's just oil life then replace the oil when it gets to 60-50% again.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,237 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Thank you!
The oil life indicator goes off at 15%, so that would be 65% on your reset minder. If you haven't had your first oil change yet, you can go my mileage. If you're a normal, non-severe driver, just about all of us have had our change light come on at about 10K-10.5K miles.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts

Helpful that you already have one oil change under your belt as an indication. At what mileage / time / conditions did your first oil change occur? If your current driving conditions are similar to the ones leading up to your first oil change, you could use a combination of info from your first oil change and the oil life indicator to estimate when you're due for next oil change.

The oil life % shows a single number, but represents a range. If 50% oil life was what you recall seeing, the range that covers is 50% to 41% (p556). If you want to be conservative to offset the uncertain of the situation, you could assume the worst case in the range (41% life) - and you'd want to change the oil when indicator reads 74% life (i.e. 26% from 41% estimated life to 15% oil change trigger).

When you hit 74%, compare the mileage driven to when your last oil change occurred. If in the ballpark (1k miles?), I'd proceed to change the oil at that point. If not, maybe you can wait a little longer (e.g. 65% as hasarad suggested). However waiting until 50% life would be too long, as it goes past the 15% point where the car would normally alert you for oil change.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I "resetted" all maintenance settings to "new"...

How do I recalibrate to its original sensing? I did it bc the emission light went on due to a gas-door not working. Completely not in line with the fluids internally (transmission fluid, oil...etc....)

Do i have to goto the dealership to recalibrate my on going maintenance per Honda manufacturer?

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts

How do I recalibrate to its original sensing? I did it bc the emission light went on due to a gas-door not working. Completely not in line with the fluids internally (transmission fluid, oil...etc....)

Do i have to goto the dealership to recalibrate my on going maintenance per Honda manufacturer?
By resetting everything, the on-board computer thinks ALL required maintenance was performed. This dealer site FAQ mentions a technician can reset the Maintenance Minder using the "Honda Diagnostic System Computer" to do a forced activation.

So unless you know someone with that computer, sounds like you'll need to make yet another trip to dealer. And in case you were going to ask next, forced activation is NOT something covered under warranty, LOL...

There are mentions in forums that this can be reset on older model Hondas, but I've not seen any subsequent mentions on this for recent models. You could test/try these, but unknown if they work for the Gen3 Insight:

·
Super Moderator
1,237 Posts
I would just change the oil again when life is at 25%. You can still go down to 15% when the alert warning comes up. You'll actually be at around 5% when that happens.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I would just change the oil again when life is at 25%. You can still go down to 15% when the alert warning comes up. You'll actually be at around 5% when that happens.
Some of the 'larger' maintenance signals have been lost/cleared though - like the transmission fluid / interval question @RcLab1 asked earlier. If it were me having reset everything at 48k miles, I'd either get the information restored by dealer OR I'd proactively do any/all time based maintenance early (now) to match the MM's reset status.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
What do you mean by reset all maintenance? Did you reset "All Due Items" or did you reset all maintenance items individually on that whole list? If you selected "all due items" it should've just reset the things that were coming up as due. Do you remember what those items were?

If you went and individually reset that whole list I don't think you can recover them. For example, if the maintenance minder is tracking your vehicle stats for the transmission fluid. You reset the stat as if you changed the transmission fluid early. It should now be tracking the vehicle stats for your presumably new transmission fluid.

Force activation if I remember correctly is for the older Hondas with maintenance minder before the infotainment tablet screens. It shows you what maintenance items(other than oil) were due when you do an early oil change(before reaching 15% life) reset. It shouldn't apply to the newer Hondas because you can see other upcoming due items before reaching 15% oil life.

·
Registered
205 Posts
^
I resetted all individual settings :-(

At 48k miles, (besides oil & filter change), what fluids shall I exchange out first & foremost? (ie...Transmission fluid? Coolant? Spark plugs?)

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
At 48k miles, (besides oil & filter change), what fluids shall I exchange out first & foremost? (ie...Transmission fluid? Coolant? Spark plugs?)
The maintenance schedule for the Gen3 Insight is based on Maintenance Minder alerts, not miles/distance driven.

You could pull up and follow a mileage based maintenance schedule for an older (circa 2006) Insight, which existed before Honda moved to Maintenance Minders... and try that as a checklist.

But if it were my car, I'd check with the dealer for options to restore the Maintenance Minder first, before investing in potentially extra/early maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
I resetted all individual settings :-(
o_O

You sort of have 2 options now.
  • Ask Honda customer service.
  • Ask your dealership and hope they don't lie or provide inaccurate information.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
I'm screwed?
Depends on what kind of response you get from Honda and the dealership. If they can't recover or provide you a time/mileage based maintenance schedule then yeah...

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
You sort of have 2 options now.
  • Ask Honda customer service.
  • Ask your dealership and hope they don't lie or provide inaccurate information.
Third option could be do any/all listed maintenance now (early), to match the newly reset settings of the Maintenance Minder.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I'm screwed? How much $ does dealership charge/reset my maintenance reminders for?
I can't imagine it takes long to do, but the hourly rate for Honda techs seems to run ~$140/hr. You could ask your dealer if they can restore it for you as a courtesy. And I'd go to the dealer that's 70 miles out which you had better experience with, than the local dealer who had poorer troubleshooting and higher price.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts