Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was one of those 2019 Insight buyers who wished that the car had come with real Blind Spot Monitoring. You know, where the side mirrors -- on both sides -- show icons and beep at you if any vehicle is getting close.

I even commented at one point that it'd be worth several thousand to me to upgrade to a future version of the Insight that had it.

Well, turns out that I'm utterly spoiled by Lane Watch. It's so easy to see what's on the right when driving or turning by simply glancing quickly at the center console. It saves me from having to turn my neck and peer at the right side mirror, which means less attention to what's ahead.

While I would still like Blind Spot Monitoring, especially as Honda adds the useful Rear Cross Traffic alert, I'd now be hard pressed to give up Lane Watch. It's so convenient.

Wish that Honda would have kept Lane Watch when it added the BSM and RCTA!

Now, the upgrade I'd like to see would be a new version with, say, 4-5 miles on EV battery power rather than only one. That would cover most of our local errands. If that doesn't materialize, we may have to consider a full EV at some point... except, would they have something like Lane Watch?! :cool:

·
Registered
2021 Insight EX
64 Posts
I'd be shocked if they didn't. EV has adopted autonomous level 2 or 3, many with the goal of supporting level 4 at some point. Part of the sex appeal for EV is advanced electronics and safety features.

As far as BSM, my side view mirrors yell at me when the car senses I may be wanting to move into crowed space on either side. Isn't that the same thing?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,685 Posts
Provided that one actually signals their lane change, the car will indeed yell and flash yellow on the mirror. Lanewatch will require one to look at the center console and think "is that a car there?" In this regard, BSM is the clear winner with its "Hey, idiot" beeping and flashing warning. Lanewatch is only a video with no automated interpretation. I've owned both a Lanewatch (2019) and BSM (2021) Insight and can tell you BSM is superior.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,113 Posts
Another negative about lanewatch is that you can't see anything with it at night.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts