Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
You’re going to have to narrow that down a bit. What year and model Accord? And what size rims? 16, 17, 18...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My apologies. I was looking at the 2015 accord sport rims in the 18" or the 2019 accord rims in the 19"

·
Registered
454 Posts
2015 Accord Sport wheel size is 18 x 8
2019 Accord Sport 19 x 8 1/2
2019 Insight Touring 17 x 7
2019 Insight EX/LX 16 x 7

·
Registered
159 Posts
I know the lug pattern is the same just not sure if i will encounter any problems.
Check the offset for the wheels to be sure, but other then a significant drop in gas mileage, the 18” should be fine. Not sure about the 19 though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I put my wife's 2019 Accord Hybrid wheels with Michelin tires on my Insight and I went from 38 - 39 mpg to 42 - 43 mpg. I drive about 70 to 80 miles round trip to work, gym and home doing about 70 to 80 mph on the interstate. 60 miles of that trip is interstate. I keep my tires at 36 psi.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,358 Posts
I put my wife's 2019 Accord Hybrid wheels with Michelin tires on my Insight and I went from 38 - 39 mpg to 42 - 43 mpg. I drive about 70 to 80 miles round trip to work, gym and home doing about 70 to 80 mph on the interstate. 60 miles of that trip is interstate. I keep my tires at 36 psi.
View attachment 6048
If you went from the Touring's 17" Continentals to Michelins, that's totally plausible. What size the the Accord wheels/tires?

·
Administrator
4,510 Posts
You own a 2020 Insight Touring with 17" wheels, right? If so for comparison, your original OEM tire spec was 215/50 R17 91H, Continental ProContact TX. Recommended Touring tire pressure is 35 front / 32 rear per 2019 Insight owners manual.

Honda specs indicate the 2019 Accord Hybrid has 225/50 R17 94V, Michelin Energy Saver tires on all offered trims. Recommended tire pressure is 33 front / 33 rear (or 35 front / 33 rear psi for high speed driving) per 2019 Accord Hybrid owners manual.

Aside from the material/manufacturer difference, the Accord Hybrid OEM tires are a bit wider than the Insight Touring OEM tires. In theory, if the tire/material was constant, there should be more rolling resistance and air drag from the (slightly) fatter tires. But perhaps the 'better' material of the Michelins makes up for that, plus running at higher (36 psi) than the Accord Hybrid recommendation (?).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I usually run 34 to 36 psi on all my wheels because of all the interstate driving I do. I remember reading an article somewhere that you can get better mpg's on the interstate by adding a couple more psi than the suggested by the manufacturer. Yes the tires on the Accord are wider which should in theory cause more traction / drag causing the mpg to go down but, I've found that Michelin makes some of the best tires on the market and have run them since my first car which was an 83 Toyota Supra Celica. Tires are one of things that I believe you buy once you cry once and you get what you pay for. Also, I have noticed the Michelin's provide a smoother and quieter ride then the Continentals that were originally on my 2020 Insight Touring.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you went from the Touring's 17" Continentals to Michelins, that's totally plausible. What size the the Accord wheels/tires?
The Accord Hybrid wheels are 17s also and they run 225/50 R17 94V, Michelin Energy Saver as mention by Insightfully. Much better tires then the Continentals in my opinion and experience.

·
Administrator
4,510 Posts
The Accord Hybrid wheels are 17s also and they run 225/50 R17 94V, Michelin Energy Saver as mention by Insightfully. Much better tires then the Continentals in my opinion and experience.
Do you think the rims themselves are different weights? Did you by chance weigh the tires from each before installing? Was wondering if the Accord Hybrid rims are lighter than the Insight rims, and helping mpg.

Oh... and if you took the tires from your wife's 2019 Accord Hybrid, is she rolling on the tires from the 2019 Insight Touring, or something else?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do you think the rims themselves are different weights? Did you by chance weigh the tires from each before installing? Was also wondering if the Accord Hybrid rims are lighter than the Insight rims, and helping mpg.

Oh... and if you took the tires from your wife's 2019 Accord Hybrid, is she rolling on the tires from the 2019 Insight Touring, or something else?
I didn't think to weigh the wheels before I put them on but, if I have time this weekend and if it doesn't rain I can bust out the scale and check the weight difference between the wheels. Also, my wife got some new wheels for her ride so I took the chance to take her stock wheels and put them on my Insight lol...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts