Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that our Insights have Honda's Active Handling Assist system. I have not noticed any handling differences yet - but I plan to try it on some of my favorite twisty roads this weekend.

Anyone have any thoughts on how well this system works?

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
I just found out that our Insights have Honda's Active Handling Assist system. I have not noticed any handling differences yet - but I plan to try it on some of my favorite twisty roads this weekend.
Anyone have any thoughts on how well this system works?
I found Agile Handling Assist in the press kit but not Active Handling Assist.

Agile Handling Assist
Standard on all trims, Agile Handling Assist selectively uses the vehicle's brakes to improve initial turning response and overall cornering ability. Agile Handling Assist utilizes brake vectoring to improve corner traceability and confident handling feel. By applying braking force to the inside wheels during cornering at high lateral G, the system creates a yaw moment, thus generating more turning force and reducing understeer.

Cornering ability is further enhanced with standard Agile Handling Assist, which applies braking force to the inside wheel while cornering to improve response and overall cornering agility. The sport steering wheel, leather-wrapped in Touring trims, connects to a Dual-Pinion Variable Ratio Electric Power-Assist Rack-and-Pinion Steering (EPS) system. The variable ratio enhances parking-lot maneuverability, while providing stability at highway speeds.
I can't tell if it is working but the Insight handles great on those twisty highway entrance ramps. This system might be why I can't activate sport mode as I'm about to exit those ramps onto the highway...

·
Super Moderator
1,238 Posts
I found Agile Handling Assist in the press kit but not Active Handling Assist.

I can't tell if it is working but the Insight handles great on those twisty highway entrance ramps. This system might be why I can't activate sport mode as I'm about to exit those ramps onto the highway...
I've gotten the "mode unavailable" message when trying to change modes in the midst of a turn. As soon as I straighten out, the mode is available.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sorry - I did mean Agile Handling. I must have had a brain glitch when I first posted.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
I've gotten the "mode unavailable" message when trying to change modes in the midst of a turn. As soon as I straighten out, the mode is available.
Yep, same thing here. It will allow me to change mode once I'm going straight.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Yep, same thing here. It will allow me to change mode once I'm going straight.
I wonder if this mode change limitation relates to an interlock of sorts with Honda Sensing (?). LKAS and RDM require being on a "straight or slightly curved" road. Maybe the car only allows mode switch when in conditions that allow Honda Sensing to stay on (i.e. no accidents while you're pressing the button to switch modes)...

·
Registered
148 Posts
aka torque-vectoring
page 30 of the manual implies that this is a part of VSA. so maybe try some corners with and without VSA on.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
It looks like Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA, p469) is described separately from Agile Handling Assist (p471) - but neither section provides a lot of technical detail in the manual. One difference I noticed is that VSA mentions engine, motor, and brakes can be activated to stabilize cornering and improve traction, while Agile Handling Assist only mentions light braking to help cornering.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Regarding Sport mode engaging in straight stretches only - on a Honda Accord Hybrid, this [url="youtu.be/MxrkXljkjcc?t=136]Sport mode video[/url] mentions it may not engage if driving at a high speed or at a curve, due to the level of shock engagement detected by the car.

The Accord Hybrid sees engine + suspension + steering enhancement in Sport mode; and I thought the Insight only saw engine enhancement in Sport mode. HOWEVER, since both cars are affected by the speed/curve limitation, perhaps the Insight also sees suspension enhancement when Sport mode is on...?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I want to say any mode switch is unavailable during a tight enough of a turn. Might have something to do with the electric steering, as rates can easily be different between the driving modes. It might just be sports mode, I'll do some testing when I get the chance and report back.

I want to say our suspension isn't electronically/hydraulically/or automatically controlled like the Accords.

·
Registered
836 Posts
VSA and AHA, both use independent braking channels to maximize traction, VSA could be at play, or Honda Engineers could have disabled it with software to prevent unexpected loss of control from a rather immediate throttle response change.

A little reading about the Electronic steering in our cars:

Dual-Pinion Variable Ratio Electric Power-Assisted Rack-and-Pinion Steering (EPS)
New for Insight, the Electric Power Steering (EPS) incorporates dual-pinion gears and a variable gear ratio for a comfortable, confident and refined driving experience as well as excellent road feel. Compared to a traditional single-pinion steering system, the dual-pinion EPS utilizes the physical steering input from the driver as well as from a supplemental electric motor. A non-contact torque sensor measures the driver’s steering effort and an ECU determines how much electric motor assist to add, with the result being a seamless, natural feeling steering in all situations.

The steering ratio is variable over a 16.3 percent range with a final full off-center rotation ratio of 12.57:1. This provides 2.54 turns lock-to-lock, providing the optimal initial response with a light feel that is useful in maneuvering and parking along with a firmer feel at highway speeds for added stability. In the low- to mid-speed range, the variable steering ratio has a uniquely linear gain, which makes Insight comfortable, predictable and confident to drive.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Performed a very non-scientific test on a long sweeping off ramp. At 29 mph, it let me switch modes, at >29mph it said unavailable. (Off ramp recommended speed was 25mph)

The reason this is not scientific, is because it doesn't take into account for steering angle. I will continue to test on different curves to see if it's speed disabled, or a combination of speed and steering angle. I unfortunately don't have a good method to test this to see if the relationship is linear (speed + steering angle input), or some type of yaw/gyroscopic sensor measuring cornering forces. I would assume it's a basic interpretation of a set steering angle = x mph for mode selection to be disabled.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Performed a very non-scientific test on a long sweeping off ramp. At 29 mph, it let me switch modes, at >29mph it said unavailable. (Off ramp recommended speed was 25mph)

The reason this is not scientific, is because it doesn't take into account for steering angle. I will continue to test on different curves to see if it's speed disabled, or a combination of speed and steering angle. I unfortunately don't have a good method to test this to see if the relationship is linear (speed + steering angle input), or some type of yaw/gyroscopic sensor measuring cornering forces. I would assume it's a basic interpretation of a set steering angle = x mph for mode selection to be disabled.
Do you think any other sensors (e.g. ABS) are factored in as well for live/dynamic range by the car? Or is it more likely that the car use speed/steering as a proxy estimation for driving conditions?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Do you think any other sensors (e.g. ABS) are factored in as well for live/dynamic range by the car? Or is it more likely that the car use speed/steering as a proxy estimation for driving conditions?
I will need to compile more data to get anywhere near a confident answer. I was no-where near the lateral limit for grip on this particular incident. I normally enter this ramp at 40mph, and let the regenerative paddles slow me down throughout the turn, coming out at ~30mph. I'm pretty confident that I could take this particular ramp at least 10-15mph faster before electronics start acting up. I doubt hp-tuners has anything for data-logging for this car to get a more scientific answer. Nor have I attempted to measure the actual radius of the turn.

Short Answer, At this point in time, I'm under the impression it's a speed/steering relationship. I have to try a tighter ramp to see if it blocks mode changes at a different speed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts