Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question and wonder if anybody knows the solution. During snow, when the radar is blocked and not working and we have no access to ACC, how can we use regular cruise control? Is it even possible?

·
Administrator
4,316 Posts
I have a question and wonder if anybody knows the solution. During snow, when the radar is blocked and not working and we have no access to ACC, how can we use regular cruise control? Is it even possible?
To activate "regular" cruise control in any driving condition (i.e. snow or not) - press and hold the "interval" button for about 1 second. You'll see a green box appear between ACC and LKAS with the text "Cruise Control" indicating that just "regular" operation is engaged. To switch back to ACC/LSF, press and hold the "interval" button again for about 1 second.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,779 Posts
I haven't had the chance to look through the Insight's owners manual but I remember reading the owners manual on my previous cars to not use cruise control during inclement weather. Found the below article from allstate explaining more about this.

Fact: Don’t Drive With Cruise Control in Wet Weather

While you may believe that driving at a consistent speed in rain or snow will increase your safety, driving with cruise control when the roads are wet may actually be more dangerous. The system’s sensors may be affected by the moisture, which means they may not be as reliable, says Edmunds. Additionally, you may not have the same traction as you would without cruise control. For example, when you take your foot off the gas to step on the brake, some of the car’s weight shifts to the front tires — providing a little more traction. With the cruise control on, you won’t have that shift and may not be able to gain traction as quickly as needed, according to Edmunds. Because cruise control is only disabled when you apply your brakes, it is best to turn it off before the roads are wet. https://www.allstate.com/blog/driving-safety-myth-or-fact/

·
Registered
22 Posts
I recently started using adaptive cruise control and now it’s all I use. I would say around 95% of the time because I feel it keeps that needle
Closer to the green than I could. I still cancel it like when getting off the highway go Into sport with three left pedal hits to recharge faster . Anyway yes the dangerous flaw . Happened to me 3 times now . Driving In the right lane going 70mph . I know you will ask so yes I only
Have the distance set to 1 car length. I’m using my cruise control. When I drive by anyone who gets off the exit my car goes crazy and brakes like
There is someone in front of me. Thankfully the few times this has happened there was no one behind me . I would say the exiting highway car was 2-4 car lengths away . The car slows me down at least 10mph very quickly

·
Super Moderator
2,779 Posts
I recently started using adaptive cruise control and now it’s all I use. I would say around 95% of the time because I feel it keeps that needle
Closer to the green than I could. I still cancel it like when getting off the highway go Into sport with three left pedal hits to recharge faster . Anyway yes the dangerous flaw . Happened to me 3 times now . Driving In the right lane going 70mph . I know you will ask so yes I only
Have the distance set to 1 car length. I’m using my cruise control. When I drive by anyone who gets off the exit my car goes crazy and brakes like
There is someone in front of me. Thankfully the few times this has happened there was no one behind me . I would say the exiting highway car was 2-4 car lengths away . The car slows me down at least 10mph very quickly
Maybe the car slowing down to exit is still in the field of view of the radar sensor?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Is there a way to shut off the advanced cruise and just use the regular cruise? I found even the shortest distance way too far away. It was so annoying, I shut it off.

·
Super Moderator
2,779 Posts
Is there a way to shut off the advanced cruise and just use the regular cruise? I found even the shortest distance way too far away. It was so annoying, I shut it off.
Yep, you can have it on regular cruise.

Instructions for that start at 2:24 in the video above.

·
Administrator
4,316 Posts
3:08 to 3:15 of the above video may also provide comment/context to the braking issue @Magikhat wrote about, when driving by exiting cars: "[ACC] may mistake [...] vehicles beside you as preceding vehicles, especially on curves."

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks. I will just turn off the acc next time I’m on the highway. It is fun to use that feature on back roads under 50mph. If the car is going slower than my cruise it works great keeping me 1 car length behind without having to do anything but steer

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks. I will just turn off the acc next time I’m on the highway. It is fun to use that feature on back roads under 50mph. If the car is going slower than my cruise it works great keeping me 1 car length behind without having to do anything but steer
If I see someone getting off to turn left or right in front of me, I usually goose the accelerator pedal just a bit to prevent it from slowing down or hitting the brakes too hard.. After it stops tracking that car, it resumes it's normal operation. Just have to learn to drive with it..

·
Registered
47 Posts
I find myself using ACC either when there’s an empty highway or stop and go traffic not in normal highway traffic. It’s inconsistent and sometimes dangerous. It can brake hard at the last minute and when someone sneaks into your lane. The car can’t see what other cars are doing so sometimes it inadvertently stays in someone’s blind spot. (Almost been hit that way twice). None of this is a fault of the car, it’s just the tech is in its infancy. ACC is marvelous in heavy stop and go traffic.

As a result I use lane keep assist and manage throttle and braking on my own most of the time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So after owning this car for about a year I was thumbing through the manual looking for something and I noticed you can turn off ACC and use the old fashion cruise control, that they call Cruise Mode. Here is how...

So here are my thoughts on the matter. It seems to me that the ACC technology is just not quite there yet with all the yo-yoing I get and being as OCD as I am the little things have been bugging me.

The first thing I noticed is that when in cruise mode the car actually reaches the speed you set it to rather than hanging out 1-3 mph below your target. It also seems that the car is far more aggressive on the throttle while in Cruise Mode over ACC, but I could also be imagination as my gas mileage has not gone down. I am finding myself liking the Cruise Mode far better than ACC when the moron count on the road is not excessively high, but most of my miles are open highway.

Maybe give it a try yourself, just keep in mind you cannot change on the fly. If cruise control is on, you have to turn it off to switch between the two.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,304 Posts
I have tried both, but it was an accidental control change that disabled the ACC for standard CC. I saw no difference in how the car maintained speed. I believe the only difference is the lack of collision avoidance since standard CC only takes the radar and camera out of the equation - similar to as if you had gunk blocking the front radar. CC will still work, just not adaptively. Low-speed follow would also be disabled.

I've never seen yo-yo-ing with ACC. It's been rock steady unless I come up behind another car.

·
Administrator
4,316 Posts
So after owning this car for about a year I was thumbing through the manual looking for something and I noticed you can turn off ACC and use the old fashion cruise control, that they call Cruise Mode. Here is how...
As an owner of many older Honda cars/technology, I honestly de-activated ACC within first week of ownership and only use "regular" cruise control because it feels more 'familiar' and translates between old and new models. "Regular cruise" just follows the speed set point you've entered, without engaging the radar for distance feedback or speed adjustment.

At some point CMBS features will kick in, but at speeds >62 mph, the Honda Sensing system only monitors for same-direction traffic flow and is less responsive (versus stationary, oncoming, and same direction monitoring <62 mph). In theory, running with ACC should help mitigate collision, since it proactively manages your following distance via radar.

And as @hasarad mentioned, others have found "regular cruise" handy during wintry weather when the radar can get obstructed with snow/ice build up.

·
Super Moderator
2,779 Posts
I prefer ACC due to the radar being active. Helps at night against cars with broken brake lights or during the day where it's so bright you sometimes can't see the brake lights coming on. ACC shouldn't yoyo unless the person ahead of you is a bad driver.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I kept my follow distance at max and no matter what speed anyone who cut in front of me was going, she wanted to slam on the brakes and then accelerate back. The other thing that bothered me was every now and then I would slowly edge up on a car over many miles and it would capture and then a few minutes later I would find myself going 20 in a 60... so most of my issues are because of other people getting their license out of a gumball machine, but I still do not feel the technology is quite there. Maybe when LiDAR starts making its way in to cars...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Being in Florida, especially with our weather lately - I do CAUTIOUSLY use the ACC when driving in heavy rains - but only when seeing the car in front of me becomes difficult and speeds are low.. All other times I use it with confidence.. It's saved my booty a number of times from the crazy 75 - ? mph changes that can happen. I also LOVE it in traffic back ups. Honestly - I am spoiled by all the features.. I learned recently - to have even the ACC feature on a Tesla, you need to upgrade your Tesla and it costs thousands vs what's already baked into our Honda's and other manufacturers. Pretty cool!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I regularly use ACC, never standard CC, but do so cautiously. I too have had some unusual behavior when car ahead turns, or someone passes and pulls in front too close. However, I understand how that works, and in situations where that may happen I just keep a finger near the cancel button to eliminate the problem quickly. Small tradeoff for much improved mileage and ease of driving, both on back roads and highways. I never use any cruise control in very wet or snow conditions.....that's asking for trouble.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts