Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Also while browsing through that guy's youtube channel. I found out that the lower accord trims, that didn't come with remote start can be modified, to have remote start, by just buying the key fob from the higher trims. It seems like Honda had the hardware for remote start built into all the trims, but just gated it with software plus the key fob. Maybe someone with an LX Insight can buy a EX/Touring key fob to get remote start? You just have to pay for the key fob and have the dealer program the key fob with your car.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Also while browsing through that guy's youtube channel. I found out that the lower accord trims, that didn't come with remote start can be modified, to have remote start, by just buying the key fob from the higher trims. It seems like Honda had the hardware for remote start built into all the trims, but just gated it with software plus the key fob. Maybe someone with an LX Insight can buy a EX/Touring key fob to get remote start? You just have to pay for the key fob and have the dealer program the key fob with your car.
Should work to add the remote start on an LX Insight. The CivicX forum mentions success adding remote start to an LX Civic as well: https://www.civicx.com/threads/just-installed-oem-remote-starter.21283/

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife has a 2019 insight LX hybrid and I’ve called everywhere and the dealers state that they don’t offer a remote start for the lx model but all the other trims do. Is this legit info? Had the dealership stated that it wasn’t an option ever she would have purchased a higher trim package. Having a remote start in Michigan is important. Is there any way to buy a module and do it myself? I find it very unlikely that a oem would make a different harness for one trim to not have that option. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
My wife has a 2019 insight LX hybrid and I’ve called everywhere and the dealers state that they don’t offer a remote start for the lx model but all the other trims do. Is this legit info? Had the dealership stated that it wasn’t an option ever she would have purchased a higher trim package. Having a remote start in Michigan is important. Is there any way to buy a module and do it myself? I find it very unlikely that a oem would make a different harness for one trim to not have that option. Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to the forum. The standard info your dealer provided is correct regarding remote start being a feature offered for the Insight's EX and Touring trims, but not on the LX trim. You'll notice that the LX key fob also looks different from the EX/Touring key fob, in that the "circular arrow" button used for remote start is missing for the LX.

Remote start isn't a standard feature on the Accord LX or Accord Sport either (lowest trims offered), but per the example video in original post you should be able to buy a new key fob (with the remote start button) and program it for use. I don't think anyone in the forum has attempted this yet and your mileage may vary, but there is a lot from GenX Civic (similar platform) and GenX Accord (similar controls/interface and hybrid design). It seems worth trying out... and worst case, you should be able to return the extra fob if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Once the key fob is reprogrammed to your car (it may or may not work), it may not be returnable.

also , with the price of buying the fob and reprogramming, it’ll probably come out to the same or more than an aftermarket alarm.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Here are a couple additional videos that illustrate the set up process on the Accord Sport and LX trims, recorded by Honda dealership sales personnel. Also a 'tip' shared in 3rd video is to not mention remote start when requesting the dealer to re-program; just ask for the newly bought fob to be programmed for your car, or visit a locksmith.

SPORT TRIM

LX TRIM

LX TRIM (LX addendum/update to Sport video shared in original post)

·
Registered
431 Posts
The part bag might be open, but otherwise, I think a fob can be programmed and re-programmed... (?)
Honda dealership return policies usually suck. They are not like Best Buy. Especially with special order items, most of the time those are not returnable even if unused.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Honda dealership return policies usually suck. They are not like Best Buy. Especially with special order items, most of the time those are not returnable even if unused.
I wonder if you can open up the current key fob and see if there is a remote start button the PC board, If so, you could test by operating the fob without the cover on and see if it works.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I wonder if you can open up the current key fob and see if there is a remote start button the PC board, If so, you could test by operating the fob without the cover on and see if it works.
From this video showing removal of the top plate from an LX fob, it looks like it's just the one contact point on the underside.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
It looks like pricing for the 5-button fob (with remote start) varies from ~$30 to $200, which seems like a bizarre/wide price range. The same part number is listed for both the GenX Accord Hybrid and Gen3 Insight Hybrid, but pricing seems to run higher for the Accord part number (?). A replacement "physical key" is sold as a separate part number from the 5-button fob.

I see both the following fob part numbers listed for the Insight EX/Touring; the first one is cheaper and is similar to part mentioned two of the Accord example videos. The first video I shared above for Sport Trim shows they programmed it at dealer while still in the packaging; they planned to 'not buy it' if it didn't work for remote start... but ended up having to open the packaging to activate the battery.
  • 72147-TVA-A01 = ACCORD Fob Assembly, Entry Key
  • 72147-TWA-A01 = INSIGHT / ACCORD HYBRID Fob Assembly, Entry Key -- listed as "5" in diagram below" -- $28.89 at hondapartsnow.com
  • 04721-TWA-A10 = INSIGHT / ACCORD HYBRID Button Set, Fob Entry Key -- listed as "1" in diagram below" -- $31.79 at hondapartsnow.com

Looks like you can get the Insight OEM fob for $30 on the low-end (hondapartsnow.com), and the additional programming charge is ~$70 per the first video ($100 total). And if you can use it to connect it to Honda Link, then you can also access those additional features by connecting with your phone.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,532 Posts
I believe the only difference between hybrid and non-hybrid fob is the color of the Honda logo on the back. Hybrid is blue. Non-hybrid is black.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey thanks for all the input. Her and I both think that the key fob with the remote start button should activate it so were gonna buy one, program it and try. I’ll keep the forum posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hey thanks for all the input. Her and I both think that the key fob with the remote start button should activate it so were gonna buy one, program it and try. I’ll keep the forum posted.
Please let us know. I’m thinking about going your route instead.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Although the shop that worked on my steering wheel controls had a tech that was really good with electronics so I may check with them to see if they can install the viper remote start. It seems really cool to be able to start your car with a phone.

·
Registered
195 Posts
... It seems really cool to be able to start your car with a phone.
Yeah, I saw a coworker do that with his GM truck and looked into it. Apparently that option is there in Honda Link if you sign up and have the app. Not sure if it is trim level dependent. Not going to ever sign up for Honda Link, just wish they would give us that option elsewhere.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Yeah, I saw a coworker do that with his GM truck and looked into it. Apparently that option is there in Honda Link if you sign up and have the app. Not sure if it is trim level dependent. Not going to ever sign up for Honda Link, just wish they would give us that option elsewhere.
Remote start via HondaLink phone app is only offered for the Insight Touring trim, and is subscription-based ($110/yr after 1 year trial) - HondaLink: Connectivity for Smart Phones and Honda Vehicles

1 - 20 of 34 Posts