Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an LX. I do not have, want or need a smart phone. Unfortunately the LX does not have sirius radio so I am stuck listening local radio in Rio Grande Valley, seems more Spanish language stations. I Traded in my 2018 HRV LX which had a CD player so I could listen to my old persons (1950/60s) music. It seems no Insights have CD player. At least no cold weather issues here.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I might suggest that you just provided you own justification for needing a smart phone. It can be your Sirius, iHeart, local music player, etc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
can the LX read flash drives in the USB slot? I use that extensively in my EX for music, saved playlists from iTunes

I have an LX. I do not have, want or need a smart phone. Unfortunately the LX does not have sirius radio so I am stuck listening local radio in Rio Grande Valley, seems more Spanish language stations. I Traded in my 2018 HRV LX which had a CD player so I could listen to my old persons (1950/60s) music. It seems no Insights have CD player. At least no cold weather issues here.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
can the LX read flash drives in the USB slot? I use that extensively in my EX for music, saved playlists from iTunes
The LX USB should be able to read flash drive in the same way as you use on your EX. However the LX has fewer USB ports and at lower power ouput. The LX has one 1.0 amp USB audio interface, while the EX/Touring have two 2.5 amp USB ports.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The power output of the USB port isn't relevant to whether the LX will read and play music from USB drives. Power output affects the charging speed of attached devices, like iPhones. A USB drive isn't going to pull more current than it needs to operate.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
Agree with power output/management comments. Was just trying to summarize in response the full the differences between the offerings and confirm that both are designed play audio files from USB flash drive.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might suggest that you just provided you own justification for needing a smart phone. It can be your Sirius, iHeart, local music player, etc.
I understand your suggestion but the music issue is not that important to me, I did not listen to the CD player much. I am retired so I just drive when I have to go to the store, DR, restaurants, errands. I don't take trips. I moved to Texas from Missouri so all my friends live in the senior golf course community where I live. Fortunately I spend lot more time behind the wheel of my golf cart since I can drive from my house to the first tee. Golf cart has no music! I plan to put gas in my Insight once a month. I have tracked gas mileage on my cars for many years, I bought a new 1986 Honda CRX HF model and got 47 MPG for 68,000 miles and it had a carburetor, not FI. My insight had 55 miles on the odometer when I bought it but I do not know if tank was filled at 55 miles or when they got car at zero miles. I guess when I put gas in I can calculate both ways and see what I get. Sine I am just driving short trips I expect by mileage to be in the 40s even with the warm weather here. The comments on flash drives for music was something new for me. My friend uses his smart phone as you suggest in his truck and at home to get music. I may reach that point some day. I also have no kids or grandkids which limits my smartphone exposure. Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
158 Posts
for Bill Bogey: Please try the flash drive music route. Very easy to learn. You'll never regret it. Some techie friend can load as much 50s-60s music as you can want in just a few minutes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can I use the USB ports on the Insight to connect a HD/thumb drive with music? Does the audio system recognize and organize the files for easy playback? If so what file formats are supported?

Thanks for any input.

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
Can I use the USB ports on the Insight to connect a HD/thumb drive with music? Does the audio system recognize and organize the files for easy playback? If so what file formats are supported?

Thanks for any input.
The USB interface is used for playback of MP3, WMA or AAC music files from digital audio players and other USB devices, as well as smartphone data transfer on designated Smartphone/Audio Interface ports. Some USB devices and files may not work.

https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2019/Insight/specs#mid^ZE4F5KEW

Reactions: Wasabi

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
You should be able to connect hard drive via USB port for music. The system should recognize FLAC and WAV files, in addition to the MP3, WMA, and AAC formats mentioned by @andrew28

The Owners Manual has some info on how to use and/or what you'll see: pp 255-257 for LX, and pp 308-310 for EX/Touring. Files on a USB drive are played in stored order, but you should be able to select different playback modes (e.g. random, repeat).

Also attached below is a page listing recommended specs/compatibility for USB flash drives (or hard drives), and error messages that may appear and how to address them.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Awesome info everyone, thank you again. Most of my stuff is in FLAC. I guess I'd just use whatever CarPlay app for my iPhone when connected to manage the music but was wondering for any external storage that me or my passengers may want to use as well.

Total CarPlay newbie here and am still wondering what apps I can even load. Unrelated to this post but is Tidal and/or Quoboz available? Those are my most used but the family use Spotify and Pandora a lot. I know I'm reaching and it may be irrelevant with the capability of the Insight's stock top audio system, but is there an aux jack anywhere so I can use my AudioQuest DragonFly Red DAC via my iPhone?

Thanks again for the input.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
Total CarPlay newbie here and am still wondering what apps I can even load. Unrelated to this post but is Tidal and/or Quoboz available? Those are my most used but the family use Spotify and Pandora a lot. I know I'm reaching and it may be irrelevant with the capability of the Insight's stock top audio system, but is there an aux jack anywhere so I can use my AudioQuest DragonFly Red DAC via my iPhone?
Auxiliary jack isn't available on the Insight. Unsure if the apps you mentioned can be added to the car, but they should be available to you through CarPlay if they're already on your phone. Tidal and Qobuz descriptions say they're compatible with Carplay. There's more experience in the forum with Pandora and Spotify, since they're more common apps.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Auxiliary jack isn't available on the Insight. Unsure if the apps you mentioned can be added to the car, but they should be available to you through CarPlay if they're already on your phone. Tidal and Qobuz descriptions say they're compatible with Carplay. There's more experience in the forum with Pandora and Spotify, since they're more common apps.
Thanks, yes I'm sure I'm good running the apps off my phone but it would be cool to have them available directly via CarPlay if I'm not connected. No biggie on the lack of aux jack as I doubt I'd see any benefit of the stock audio system via a better DAC.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Make sure to use an MFi certified Lightning cable - weirdness was reported in earlier threads using generic cables.

This is the one I have. Short so it doesn't clutter up the center console, and right-angled to reduce strain on the connectors from sharp bends.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=30784

In general, streaming music apps, podcast apps (Pocket Casts, Overcast, Apple Podcasts), navigation apps (Waze, Apple Maps, Google Maps) and streaming radio apps (Tune In) are allowed in CarPlay. Siri will also answer certain questions when it hears you properly.

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
Awesome info everyone, thank you again. Most of my stuff is in FLAC. I guess I'd just use whatever CarPlay app for my iPhone when connected to manage the music but was wondering for any external storage that me or my passengers may want to use as well.

Thanks again for the input.
https://twitter.com/tidal/status/938453112842485760?lang=en
Qobuz is now compatible with CarPlay | The Qobuz Blog

Tidal and Qobuz both support carplay.

Reactions: Wasabi

·
Registered
148 Posts
Based on my experience, USB file playback is terrible. I have yet to find an mp3 file it will play and it doesn't recognize file structures at all. Tried different drives, sizes, and files. Every sub-$100 aftermarket head unit I've had since 2008 or so has supported all these mp3s and folder structures.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts