Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Independent of the Maintenance Minder information, adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 if they are noisy. (owner's guide)

Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 if they are noisy. (owner's manual)
What does Honda mean by adjust the valves? What does the noise sound like?

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Valve clearances are the space between the top of valve stem to the part pressing on them to open on the ICE. Sample types of valves involved include exhaust and intake valves. Mechanics have micrometers and shims to help adjust distances, but they can also be checked by a DIY'er with the right tools and skill.

Valve clearances (lash) are checked on an interval specified by manufacturer/design (maintenance minder), engine noise (clicking or tapping), and whenever the cylinder head/cover is removed. As part of normal wear/use, the clearances can change and cause more noise and engine vibration.
- The clearance can get smaller (exhaust valves) as things seat or wear.
- Too much valve clearance can cause rough idle and possibly damage engine components.
- Too little valve clearance can prevent valves from fully closing, possibly causing loss of engine power.

A few reference articles:
- Is valve adjustment needed - https://www.cars.com/articles/does-my-engine-need-a-valve-clearance-adjustment-1420682596763/
- Adjusting your own valves - https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a8289/lost-art-the-valve-adjustment/

And a sample video of before/after sound and adjustment on a Gen1 Insight:

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will pay more attention to clicking and tapping noise from the engine. As of right now I don't hear those engine noise. Looks like a $150-$200 job at the dealership. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
It's usually a 30k+ mile interval recommendation for checking valve clearance on a conventional engine. With less uptime on the ICE, the Insight in theory shouldn't need a valve adjustment until well over the traditional interval. Perhaps this is why Honda suggests adjusting on early service timing, if they sound 'noisy.'

Will be interesting to hear what mileage/time interval forum members start seeing sub-code 4 (replace spark plugs, inspect valve clearance).

·
Registered
836 Posts
I will pay more attention to clicking and tapping noise from the engine. As of right now I don't hear those engine noise. Looks like a $150-$200 job at the dealership. :eek:
200$ is actually super cheap. Every time you had to take the valve cover off of my last vehicle it was at least $1000, and the 700$ front rotor changes kept me from ever bringing it to the dealership.

If anyone is curious as to what it sounds like, it's usually best heard at cold start, and it's a slight tapping, most people in super cold weather attribute it to oil being too viscous. At least Honda has a service interval and the wherewithal to make it serviceable.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
200$ is actually super cheap. Every time you had to take the valve cover off of my last vehicle it was at least $1000, and the 700$ front rotor changes kept me from ever bringing it to the dealership.

If anyone is curious as to what it sounds like, it's usually best heard at cold start, and it's a slight tapping, most people in super cold weather attribute it to oil being too viscous. At least Honda has a service interval and the wherewithal to make it serviceable.
I'm going to ask my dealership how much it actually cost next time when I'm in there. The $150-$200 estimate I found was from a few years ago.

·
Super Moderator
1,070 Posts
My 1999 Civic had its first valve adjustment at 220,000 miles. My mechanic said they weren't that bad. He would not have done it if he hadn't needed to replace the leaky valve cover gasket. If was a great car. I traded it with 280K miles. The only reason I gave it up was because the window seals leaked and it had mushrooms growing on the rear floor mats. That, and I could afford a new car after 19 years of owning the Civic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts