Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in a months long search for a (imo) better looking spoiler than what is currently offered for the insight. I like the Japanese insight one a lot but pricing for importing is very high. I finally found one I really like and I think fits the car well, however it is for a 10th gen Accord. Besides driving down to a Honda dealership with a tape measure later in the week does anyone happen to have an 2018+ accord they could measure the width of the trunk lid?

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Do you plan to install it yourself? If so, here are some instructions posted by College HIlls Honda:
It's not a perfect substitution for measurements, but FWIW, the illustrations in the installation instructions suggest that the mounting surface on the Insight trunk isn't as wide as needed to support the Accord's wider spoiler design.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I’ve seen that accord spoiler in person in black on a white car. Looks real nice.I’ve also seen something similar on an Acura TSX and it looks even better.

Your best bet is to buy it brand new, get a plastic fabricator to make a copy of it with something that fits the dimensions of the Insight and then return it.

Or they may even be able to replicate it without even having a physical copy of it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ty! The one I am looking at is this:
I’m hopeful that based on the mounting points it would actually mount on the parts of our trunk lid that are angled outwards. But I have no idea. I would be mounting myself, I was mainly just worried about the sides sticking to far out to the right and left since I read the accord is wider a bit. Just didn’t know if the trunk lid was wider.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I’m hopeful that based on the mounting points it would actually mount on the parts of our trunk lid that are angled outwards. But I have no idea. I would be mounting myself, I was mainly just worried about the sides sticking to far out to the right and left since I read the accord is wider a bit. Just didn’t know if the trunk lid was wider.
In addition to general width comparison, I think curvature points will also be a factorfor effective mounting. The Insight's trunk surface looks more tapered/narrow at the sides (aerodynamic?), while the Accord's trunk surface looks flatter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m pretty handy I like to think lol, if anything I can make some 3d printed shims or mounting brackets if it’s not perfect or just modify the wing, if it will fit generally I think I’ll make a stab at it, it’s only $100 or so on eBay.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I went to a dealer and measured myself, which was super awkward as I had three salesman watching me, but it was an inch wider on each side or so

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered it regardless, however I am now thinking it wont quite fit how I had wanted. I am now looking at getting a different option in the mean time and maybe ill get lucky and first one fits.

This one:

or this one: (currently really liking this one)

pic from back :

I also really liked this one, and almost ordered however realized it would not fit due to the extra tail light portion on the 2016+ civic

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
The Honda JDM one is great but the carbon fiber one from Mugen is perfect. I love how it wraps around the H badge making it flat there. Just a matter of getting them here....
Just FYI - there might be a typo on the Mugen site above for the Insight air spoiler. When I google the listed part number (84112-XNL-K0S0), a Honda Odyssey spoiler comes up...

Plus I assume import/export shipping is extra and/or not included in the prices, since listed in Japanese yen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
and if they made a fiberglass version for closer to $200 as ¥85800 (JPY) = $809. Cosmetic add ons that cost $809 are not very popular on any car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am a big fan of the mugen stuff, that rear under spoiler is cool too, I wish honda would give us a option to buy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts