Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was a abnormally 70 F degree day and sunny. Its been in the 30's and 40's F degrees the past three months.
Today was my 1st time turning A/C ON....
What I noticed was it wasn't very cold. Borderline A/C OFF mode with cold air wind blowing. It wasn't A/C.

Is there a refresher A/C service?
I have a 2019 Touring trim with 78k miles on her馃檪

Administrator
Today was my 1st time turning A/C ON....
What I noticed was it wasn't very cold. Borderline A/C OFF mode with cold air wind blowing. It wasn't A/C.
Have you noticed any leaks, or any damage spots on your A/C condenser? The overall air conditioning system is covered by the Federal Emissions Warranty for 3 yr/36k miles (Base Warranty, pg 17), and the refrigerant is covered for 2 yr/24k miles (Base Warranty, pg 9).

Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
This is why I use the Auto temp setting in the Winter. It runs the heater and occasionally the AC to keep the system properly lubed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately im at close to 79k miles on my 2019 Touring trim馃様.

Im out of warranty?
If so, how much is for a A/C refresher to make it blow a/c cold air again?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was quoted $125 to diagnose Air Conditioner.

$800 To "recharge" freon Air Conditioner

$2k-$3,000 to fix air conditioner馃ぃ馃槀馃ぃ馃槀

馃槻馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槯

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The quote was from a Honda Dealership locally. Is this too high or fair?

Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
The quote was from a Honda Dealership locally. Is this too high or fair?
Dealerships don't do fair pricing for repairs. :sneaky: I would get quotes from other Honda dealerships or well reviewed independent shops. In my area, dealerships start doing specials for AC service around start of Summer.

Registered
I have a similar problem where my AC is on for cold and the fan speed is too weak even on full speed. I am taking it to dealership for service soon. 17k miles 2019 insight ex.

Registered
2019 Touring CosBlu
Will assume here that RcLab1 isn't referring to AC management via being in ECON mode, but other new owners should know that there is a little more temperature range variance allowed when running climate control in ECON mode.

On my 2007 Civic, with my last AC repair I worked with my independent mechanic and price shopped parts against his supplier and sourced one from Rock Auto. Made that repair stick with putting gutter guard mesh in the front grill vents which were notoriously large in allowing road debris.

Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
I have a similar problem where my AC is on for cold and the fan speed is too weak even on full speed. I am taking it to dealership for service soon. 17k miles 2019 insight ex.
If the fan speed / air flow is weak, the first thing to check would be the cabin filter. If you park outside, it could be full of stuff including vermin-related items.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^

Interesting...cabin air filter? I never checked.

I've always denied "cabin air filter change" during my many oil change appointments...hmmmmmm

Super Moderator
^

Interesting...cabin air filter? I never checked.

I've always denied "cabin air filter change" during my many oil change appointments...hmmmmmm
Open glovebox.
Empty glovebox.
Press in on sides of glovebox and rotate downward to expose area behind it..
Press side tabs on filter housing and remove housing cover.
Slide out filter.
Maybe say "eww?"
Post pic of filter here if you said "eww."
Assemble in reverse order with new filter if you posted a pic here.

Registered
If the fan speed / air flow is weak, the first thing to check would be the cabin filter. If you park outside, it could be full of stuff including vermin-related items.
That's weird, because it's a garage-kept car and I am the first and only owner of the vehicle. It's almost impossible to have a bad cabin filter although I am not sure if I have it replaced since I've owned the car for the past two and a half years.

Administrator
That's weird, because it's a garage-kept car and I am the first and only owner of the vehicle. It's almost impossible to have a bad cabin filter although I am not sure if I have it replaced since I've owned the car for the past two and a half years.
Was your area maybe impacted by the smoke/fires earlier this year? Normal cabin and engine filter replacement is triggered at sub-code 2, but Honda advises that the dust/pollen (cabin) filter and air cleaner (engine) filter be changed at 15k miles in heavy soot/urban conditions. - Cabin Air Filter

Super Moderator
It costs nothing to check. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wholly craps. You guys are right. The cabin air filter on them glove box is gross. Maybe that's why my AC blows no Air-conditioning Air...its blowing just air from out side. Its not a/c coming in....

So I took it out and vacuumed the cabin air filter!!!!

Crossing my fingers that will fix my AC. I don't want a new radiator.
I haven't replaced the cabin air filter since getting the car. Its a 2019 touring trim with 80k miles馃榿.

Front and back of the air filter馃槯. There's a fly in it

Attachments

Super Moderator
The Gen X Civi shares the same filter with the Insight. It's a charcol filter, so it won't be pure white. That said, 80K miles is way too long. I replaced mine at 30K and found it "no too bad." I garage my car. The cost of the filter was peanuts, so I will continue to change it every 25K-30K miles.

Reactions: elvin

Super Moderator
Wholly craps. You guys are right. The cabin air filter on them glove box is gross. Maybe that's why my AC blows no Air-conditioning Air...its blowing just air from out side. Its not a/c coming in....

So I took it out and vacuumed the cabin air filter!!!!

Crossing my fingers that will fix my AC. I don't want a new radiator.
I haven't replaced the cabin air filter since getting the car. Its a 2019 touring trim with 80k miles馃榿.

Front and back of the air filter馃槯. There's a fly in it
If it's blowing air, but the air is warm, it's possible you have a bigger issue. Several members have reported road debris has damaged their a/c condenser. I don't believe the filter would cause warm air to blow - only a reduced flow of cold air. Time to get things checked. A good a/c place can quickly diagnose the problem. Your warranty does not cover damage due to road debris.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts