Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice - your fuel efficiency should be amazing then! If you read some of the recent "MPG" postings, we're just recently starting to warm up to ~68F in the US; today is the first day of spring. U.S. winter temperatures were 32F and below. The cold temperature can cause a 10+ mpg difference over the same route, especially since the gas engine runs to warm up the cabin and recharge battery for other cold-weather accessories.
I think the a/c does the same damage to MPGs as the heater does. In the mornings when the temperature is at 72-74 , take my kid to school and got consistently 52 MPG. In the afternoon when the temperature is 89-92 , the same drive and I'm getting 43-44 MPGs. I'll keep investigating

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
I think the a/c does the same damage to MPGs as the heater does. In the mornings when the temperature is at 72-74 , take my kid to school and got consistently 52 MPG. In the afternoon when the temperature is 89-92 , the same drive and I'm getting 43-44 MPGs. I'll keep investigating
Believe it or not, the A/C isn't as bad as the heat. At least, that's my observation from last summer. Heat kicks in the ICE when the coolant temp drops below a certain level. A/C uses battery that's available. It may sound similar, but battery is more avaialble in summer when A/C is used vs. the ICE.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Living in Florida I’ve noticed when it’s warm, the first 10 minutes of driving (so far) the ac does use a little more battery in city driving and fuel economy is hurt a little, after that it’s not really an issue. What I do LOVE is the fact that I no longer can tell I’m running the ac like I could in my civic or my girlfriends corolla when it comes to accelerating quickly. No drag from the ac compressor. Also one of my former Civics was a 2008 hybrid with a hybrid electric/mechanical ac compressor that went out at 110,000 miles (very expensive repair). Drove the last two years I had her without ac in Florida. The fact that this system is fully electric actually gives me hope that it will hold out for a longer amount of time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Used the AC for the first time yesterday, pretty impressive! I measured the outlet air was at 32°F, which is the minimum an AC system can go. Whisper quiet... Lost about one bar of battery in something like 3 minutes (at full blast).

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
I turned mine on last night. My daughter turned it off a few minutes later because she was cold. Wuss...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts