Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the thought on people using 0w-16? I've seen 0w-20 all over here and I didn't even know they made lower weight oil...

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
What's the thought on people using 0w-16? I've seen 0w-20 all over here and I didn't even know they made lower weight oil...
There's an article from 2017 that talks about how 0W-16 has been used in Japan since the late 90s and/or planned to be used for 2018 model year in Japan. Using 0W-16 instead of 0W-20 on a Honda Fit yielded 2% fuel savings, and planned standard use in Japan included Honda hybrids and Toyota hybrids. It also became the standard for the US Camry and US Camry hybrid starting the 2018 model year.

https://www.noln.net/articles/2277-the-skinny-on-ow-16-oil
https://www.underhoodservice.com/oil-sn-plus-0w16/

...but that said, I'm a 'purist' and choose to use the 0W-20 Honda recommends for the Insight.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you aren't in a climate that see's extreme high temperatures (regularly in the 100*+ range) I don't see any issue, Although I'd probably play it safe and only consider it for people that face truly cold starts (freezing and below).

Downside is for someone like me, 6 month oil changes, I could probably get away with it for the fall-spring oil. But we do see 100*+ rarely in the summer.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,532 Posts
I had thought about 0w16 as well, but I'm not willing to take the risk of voiding a warranty for 2%. Honda may come out with a formal statement in the future. I'd wait until it's "official" before making that change.

Reactions: andrew28

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had thought about 0w16 as well, but I'm not willing to take the risk of voiding a warranty for 2%. Honda may come out with a formal statement in the future. I'd wait until it's "official" before making that change.
But dude...2% more fuel efficient....??? lol. Yea. 0W-20 here in the house seems pretty liquidy as it is...I can't imagine what 0W-16 is like. I'd consider DC harsh driving conditions but not extreme...it gets blistering hot in the summer here but not upto 100...mid 90's...+ all the stop and go city traffic can really wear on a vehicle...

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
But dude...2% more fuel efficient....??? lol. Yea. 0W-20 here in the house seems pretty liquidy as it is...I can't imagine what 0W-16 is like. I'd consider DC harsh driving conditions but not extreme...it gets blistering hot in the summer here but not upto 100...mid 90's...+ all the stop and go city traffic can really wear on a vehicle...
There's even a 0W-8 viscosity spec for the Japanese market, which was targeted for an April 2019 launch by Toyota...

https://www.fuelsandlubes.com/fli-a...rom-the-ashes-of-category-development-delays/

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,963 Posts
I recently purchased Kirkland Full synthetic oil at Costco on sale for $21.50 (normally $25) for the cases of 5 qt (2) jugs. That is an absolute low bottom price for full synthetic oil.
I saw the same price at my local Costco about 2 weeks ago. They're most likely trying to clear out the older ILSAC GF-5 for the newer GF-6 spec.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Does anyone know if the Insight engine requires the GF6 oil?
Honda's recommendation is "API premium-grade API 0W-20 detergent oil" (OM19 pg 653). But GF6-A is backward compatible if you want to use it. Officially, the 'new' oil is GF6-B at 0W-16.

Per Pennzoil:
  • GF-6A: Backward-compatible standard for SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-30, and SAE 10W-30, but not SAE 0W-16. This standard will continue to utilize the starburst symbol for licensing.
  • GF-6B: New standard for SAE 0W-16 ONLY, developed to meet the needs of specific modern engines. This standard will not be backward-compatible to previous categories and will have a new licensing symbol for bottles.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,963 Posts
Does anyone know if the Insight engine requires the GF6 oil?
It's not like you have a choice. 😛 GF5 oils won't be sold after the current inventory clears out. No reason to use GF5 when GF6 is available.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The reason I ask is because I was wondering if I should return one of the cases of the Kirkland oil that I bought to buy the GF6. I’m thinking just use up all the GF5 that I have now since it was so darn cheap.

I’m even wondering if the oil I have now is GF6.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,963 Posts
The reason I ask is because I was wondering if I should return one of the cases of the Kirkland oil that I bought to buy the GF6. I’m thinking just use up all the GF5 that I have now since it was so darn cheap.

I’m even wondering if the oil I have now is GF6.

Check the label on the back.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,963 Posts
Interestingly, Costco Canada, 0W-20 Full Synthetic is still GF-5 only

View attachment 5687
Motor oil manufacturers have until 5/1/2021(1 year from when GF6 became a standard) to get rid of their GF5 inventory. I think Costco will get GF6 soon if not already due to the high volume amount they sell. Here's what the new label looks like.

Amazon has Idemitsu 0w-20 GF6 right now. Also seen Vavoline GF6 at Advance Auto Parts recently.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interestingly, Costco Canada, 0W-20 Full Synthetic is still GF-5 only

View attachment 5687
Hmm curious and i know nothing of the specs but I am in Buffalo, NY and get my oil changed at a small local chain that uses Petro Canada "0W-20" oil and it is the ONLY oil that my car "likes" everything else even Honda dealership it runs like bogged down crap. It loves that oil I wonder if this is why??" Also bonus, 3.5 quarts and a filter for $44.95!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
So typically I get better mpg with mild weather. Worst mpg in cold weather(short trips less than 10miles). During summer I averaged 50mpg and 45mpg in winter. This was with 0w20 mobile. Then I used 0w16 mobile last September and so far I averaged 54mpg through the winter. Soooooo...what about 0w12.....thoughts?

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Then I used 0w16 mobile last September and so far I averaged 54mpg through the winter. Soooooo...what about 0w12.....thoughts?
The Gen3 Insight's 0W-20 standard already 'feels' too thin to me, compared to the 5W-30 I use in my Gen6 Civic... so I'm personally just sticking with Honda's standard spec/reco for the Insight.

@Wifey'sInsight suggested that temperature extremes and oil change interval are a couple factors to consider when deviating from the manufacturer spec. Toyota even planned to deploy a 0W-8 spec for the Japanese market... so why stop at 0W-12? :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ha probably won't stop. But I imagine 12 is more readily available. Quick thought....does an engine especially like this one even need thicker oil when cold.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,963 Posts
So typically I get better mpg with mild weather. Worst mpg in cold weather(short trips less than 10miles). During summer I averaged 50mpg and 45mpg in winter. This was with 0w20 mobile. Then I used 0w16 mobile last September and so far I averaged 54mpg through the winter. Soooooo...what about 0w12.....thoughts?
"Oil that's too thin can fail to develop a consistent lubricating film, inviting metal-to-metal contact that causes wear. Extreme stress and heat add to the challenge. Since oil thins as it's heated, the already-too-thin oil becomes even thinner under extreme heat, worsening the problem."
You probably know this but just a heads up in case you don't. ^

1 - 20 of 24 Posts