Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any other Gen3 Touring owners used the Alexa skill that was recently released? Being an owner of several Amazon Echos, I was thrilled to see this was now available. I just activated it tonight and have tested a few of the commands. Seems to work great so far.

The Honda skill allows you to give commands, such as:

Engine Start
“Alexa, ask Honda to start my engine.”

Extend Engine Start
“Alexa, ask Honda to keep my car running.”

Lock Doors
“Alexa, ask Honda to lock my doors.”

Unlock Door
“Alexa, ask Honda to unlock my door.”

Flash Lights
“Alexa, ask Honda to flash my lights.”

Flash Lights & Sound Horn
“Alexa, ask Honda to flash the lights and sound the horn.”

Fuel Level & Drive Range
“Alexa, ask Honda how much fuel do I have?”

Odometer Information
“Alexa, ask Honda how many miles are on my car?”

Oil Life
“Alexa, ask Honda what is my oil life?”

Warning Lamp Information
“Alexa, ask Honda if I have any warning lamps on?”

Maintenance Minder Information
“Alexa, ask Honda is my car due for maintenance?”

Search for Generic Point of Interest (POI)
“Alexa, ask Honda look for nearest (POI).”

Search for Specific POI & Send to Car
“Alexa, ask Honda direction to (POI).

Search for Address & Send to Car
“Alexa, ask Honda to send address to my vehicle.”

Basic Information on HondaLink
“Alexa, ask Honda what is HondaLink?”

Help
“Alexa, ask Honda to help.”

• A Remote package trial or subscription is required to use this Skill

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
Interesting recap... the theme among the commands seems to be that they're typically already accessible by other means (e.g. key fob or HondaLink). Have you noticed any 'surprise' commands that are specialized for Alexa / Honda? What does the Remote Package cost for you as a Touring owner?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting recap... the theme among the commands seems to be that they're typically already accessible by other means (e.g. key fob or HondaLink). Have you noticed any 'surprise' commands that are specialized for Alexa / Honda? What does the Remote Package cost for you as a Touring owner?
It is pretty much the same commands and info that I can get from the HondaLink app. Being a home automation junkie, I like the convenience of controlling things via voice commands though, so this is a welcome addition. The Remote Package is $110/year, which I gladly pay for all of the included features. Amazon Key is my favorite, as there is no secure location at my residence for packages to be left and they would disappear quickly if not brought in immediately.

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
If you have a garage opener integrated with your car, that could be one additional existing command to try out.

I'm also curious as to how/if security alarm controls can be managed thru this interface... and whether additional command options might be listed in a "user guide" somewhere (?).

But I'm not a Touring owner, so living vicariously through your testing. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have a garage opener integrated with your car, that could be one additional existing command to try out.

I'm also curious as to how/if security alarm controls can be managed thru this interface... and whether additional command options might be listed in a "user guide" somewhere (?).

But I'm not a Touring owner, so living vicariously through your testing. :)
Just to clarify, this does not add Alexa capability to the car itself. I would love it if they were able to add that through a software update though. Then I could disarm my Ring alarm when parking. This just allows controlling the car from Echos.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My previous Pioneer head unit, which was a fairly new release from Pioneer, had Alexa built into the head unit. Although you would have to be connected to a hotspot, which was fine because I would connect to my phone hotspot. It had cool features like pay for gas at certain gas stations like Exxon and Mobil with the Alexa app.
Unfortunately, my new Kenwood head unit doesn’t have this technology.

I believe there is Echo for automotive now.

I really enjoyed the “Let’s chat” feature of Alexa, which accessed the AI chat bot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts