Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Longtime Honda owner here.
My love affair with Honda goes back to the beginning of my driving days.
My first car was a 1978 Honda Civic hatchback (Hondamatic).
After the Civic was hit by MUNI (MUNI is the public transportation system in San Francisco and it was not my fault, I swear!), I had a brief dalliance with VW in the form of a 1963 ragtop (three or four speed manual, can't recall); the thing caught on fire and I ended up selling it for a two grand profit, if you can believe that.
I took that profit and got a “modern” car in the form of a red 1984 Civic hatchback S (five speed manual). This was perhaps my favorite car ever. Dunno why, but I think it's got something to do with it being so friggin' awesome!

Then I had a 1989 CRX Si (five speed manual).
Next up, I went "high class" and got a 1998 Acura Integra GS (five speed manual).
I bought a couple of motorcycles in the interim, a 2007 Kawasaki Ninja (250) and, after I got more comfortable riding, a 2010 Honda CBR 600.
After I became a Dad and decided that I needed a “family car”, I got a 2004 Element (automatic).
And now, after eight vehicles – six of which were Honda and all were bought used – I decided -- based on the very recent understanding that I will in fact die one day -- to carpe the mother effing diem and by a brand new car. (Fun fact: I just now learned that don’t like the new car smell. All my life, everyone would talk about loving the “new car smell.” They’d gush about the “new car smell” and how great it was and how they wish their car still smelled like that. Blah, blah, blah. When I finally got my own new car with its own “new car smell”, I could not help but wonder what crack the rest of America is smoking. A new car smell, you see, is not too different from sticking your face in a brand new Tupperware with a lightly perfumed carpet tile taped to the bottom. It does not smell bad, mind you, but it definitely is not worth of the “Oh my God, I love the new car smell” comments I’d hear over the years. Either that or Americans need to leave the house more and smell more stuff.)
Anyway, I got a 2020 Honda Insight EX. Silver. Because it’s the best color – scientific fact – and I chose the EX because philosophically, I like everything I own to be refined down to the bare essence and closest approximation of its true essence. Nothing less and nothing more. The Touring had too many bells and whistles and the LX was just plain boring. Philosophically, I don’t like bells and/or whistles and can’t stand boring. So the EX it was. I also wanted the 2020 over the 2019 because 2020 seems balanced to me and, philosophically, I like balance.

I’ve had the car for several weeks and so far I love it. I have nothing bad to say about it. It’s does what it’s supposed to do and does it perfectly. Hybrids, while not a fun as a stick shift or a motorcycle, add a layer of interaction that approximates a certain degree of fun. The stylings of the car are subtle and refined, almost classic. And the ride, especially compared to my previous car, the Honda Element, feels like a butter-soaked luxury.
All in all I love this car and I hope to have it for many more years to come.
Look forward to reading more from all of you.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Everything about the Insight is a nice balance(Price, features, fuel efficiency, power, etc.) so I agree with you on that. I don't like the new car smell(it's actually bad for you) either. I like my car to smell like... nothing. You can still "interact" with the Insight via the regen paddles and different drive modes. Most of us find enjoyment trying to achieve the highest mpg possible or just driving in Sport mode without caring about fuel efficiency. :wink:

Welcome to the forum! Feel free to ask any questions you may have about the car.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Anyway, I got a 2020 Honda Insight EX. Silver. Because it’s the best color – scientific fact – and I chose the EX because philosophically, I like everything I own to be refined down to the bare essence and closest approximation of its true essence. Nothing less and nothing more. The Touring had too many bells and whistles and the LX was just plain boring. Philosophically, I don’t like bells and/or whistles and can’t stand boring. So the EX it was. I also wanted the 2020 over the 2019 because 2020 seems balanced to me and, philosophically, I like balance.
Umm, of course... Lunar Silver rulez! ;)

I hadn't thought about the 'roundness' of 2020, but you're right that it's a pretty balanced number. I mean... you now own a car from the 'new' decade. The model is essentially unchanged from 2019, so given the choice, why NOT opt for a 2020.

Glad to have you as part of the forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome, guys.

Preaching to the choir here, but the Insight’s such a good car, and it’s a shame that the model is not as popular as it deserves and that there is talk of Honda consolidating the line into Civic/Accord. It’s so good that even if people prefer lesser colors than the Lunar Silver Metallic (scientifically proven to be the best!), those persons, as wrong as they may be ;), are still driving around in one of the best looking quote/unquote normal cars on the road!

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, guys.

Preaching to the choir here, but the Insight’s such a good car, and it’s a shame that the model is not as popular as it deserves and that there is talk of Honda consolidating the line into Civic/Accord. It’s so good that even if people prefer lesser colors than the Lunar Silver Metallic (scientifically proven to be the best!), those persons, as wrong as they may be ;), are still driving around in one of the best looking quote/unquote normal cars on the road!
I love driving the Insight everywhere I go because it's a Honda that most people never seen before. It also makes spotting one kind of fun when you do see another one. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts