Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It looks like Carplay now... Instead of scrolling right for more apps in CarPlay, you scroll down in the new Android Auto. The navigation bar is on the bottom instead of on the left like in CarPlay. Should make my transition to Android Auto easier once I pick up an Android phone. Nice to have Android Auto/CarPlay as an option instead of only one or forced to use the automaker's in car system. :smile:

• Get on the road faster: As soon as you start your car, Android Auto will continue playing your media and show your navigation app of choice. Simply tap on a suggested location or say “Hey Google” to navigate to a new place.
  • Stay on top of your apps: With the new navigation bar, you’ll be able to see your turn-by-turn directions and control your apps and phone on the same screen.
  • Do more with less taps: With the new navigation bar, you'll be able to easily control your apps with one tap. Get turn-by-turn directions, rewind your podcast or take incoming call all on the same screen.
  • Easily manage communications: The new notification center shows recent calls, messages and alerts, so you can choose to view, listen and respond at a time that’s convenient and safe for you.
  • A color palette that’s easy on the eyes: We’re evolving Android Auto’s design to fit in better with your car’s interior. A dark theme, coupled with colorful accents and easier to read fonts, also helps improve visibility.
  • A screen fit for more cars: If you have a car with a wider screen, Android Auto now maximizes your display to show you more information, like next-turn directions, playback controls and ongoing calls.
https://blog.google/products/android/android-auto-new-look-io19/

·
Super Moderator
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Google announced the Pixel 3a today and I just bought one for Android Auto. I remember buying the Nexus phones years ago due to the reasonable price from Google until they scrapped them. The Google Store is selling the 3a with a $100 gift card and are giving out high trade in values for old iPhones like my backup iPhone SE at $250.

https://store.google.com/category/phones

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I finally had the chance to test out Android Auto on my Insight. I'm loving the turn by turn arrows popping up on the DII along with how many feet before the turn. Since the arrow only shows up as a turn is coming up, I can still have the power flow screen on the DII. Thank you Honda for allowing this feature on the EX trim with Waze/Google Maps and not locking it to the Touring trim! Just push out an update for the digital speedometer showing MPH and I would be satisfied. :grin:

One surprise feature, that I didn't expect was multi-touch... I can actually pinch to zoom in/out on waze/google maps. This whole time, I thought it was a hardware limitation with the display audio tablet, but it was just a software limitation with Apple CarPlay. :plain:

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
So I finally had the chance to test out Android Auto on my Insight. I'm loving the turn by turn arrows popping up on the DII along with how many feet before the turn. Since the arrow only shows up as a turn is coming up, I can still have the power flow screen on the DII. Thank you Honda for allowing this feature on the EX trim with Waze/Google Maps and not locking it to the Touring trim!
Very cool. Maybe my next phone will be an Android version for this purpose. This AA/DII finding also helped me notice that the "Navigation" section of the manual is worth reading since it isn't just for Touring trim ("Models with Navigation System").

Some of the pages describing Navigation mention that the only requirement is "Models with Display Audio" which totally applies to the EX. Re-reading the Navigation sections now knowing this explains (in a non-direct way) that the turn-by-turn directions intentionally show up on the driver information interface for any trim with Display Audio. I hope there are more nuggets/learnings like this to be found as we go!

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
The nexus 5x was an awesome phone until it bricked. Google strung me along for a few weeks saying they had shipped a new phone. It never shipped. I like Googles Android a lot more than iOS. Google needs to make there phones more accessible.

·
Super Moderator
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The touring has its own integrated GPS so there's no reason to lock out Android auto. You can use whichever you like. 😊
Just want to clarify, I meant that I was happy that Honda didn't make the DII turn by turn navigation arrow function exclusive to the Touring(I have the EX). :wink:
Very cool. Maybe my next phone will be an Android version for this purpose. This AA/DII finding also helped me notice that the "Navigation" section of the manual is worth reading since it isn't just for Touring trim ("Models with Navigation System").

Some of the pages describing Navigation mention that the only requirement is "Models with Display Audio" which totally applies to the EX. Re-reading the Navigation sections now knowing this explains (in a non-direct way) that the turn-by-turn directions intentionally show up on the driver information interface for any trim with Display Audio. I hope there are more nuggets/learnings like this to be found as we go!
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/258-honda-insight-features-equipment/2088-honda-garmin-navigation-vs-google-apple-maps-2.html#post10464
I wouldn't have known about it if @fernandocolon didn't mention and confirmed it in the above post.

The nexus 5x was an awesome phone until it bricked. Google strung me along for a few weeks saying they had shipped a new phone. It never shipped. I like Googles Android a lot more than iOS. Google needs to make there phones more accessible.
Google customer service is pretty bad if something goes wrong. I think it's because they outsource customer service instead of it being in house. Actual google employees just develop the products and don't really interact with customers outside of the community forums. So far my experience with the Pixel 3a has been great but I still use my iPhone 7 as primary due to most of my apps being bought on the ios app store.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts