Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved from Android to Apple due to a chronic battery overheating issue with my last to Android phones. I'm happy to say to move was worthwhile. Carplay totally blows Android Auto out of the water. While I am aware AA is getting a refresh soon, the battery issues forced me to change now, and I can't be happier. Carplay is much faster, and the interface makes more sense. I was a rabid anti-Apple person until now, but I've evolved. Sure, it's only an iPhone7 (I'm cheap), but it works much better/smoothly than the Samsung phone I just decommissioned. When it gets to the point you can't even pick up the Samsung phone because it's too hot, things need to change. IMO, Carplay > AA.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
I just moved from Android to Apple due to a chronic battery overheating issue with my last to Android phones. I'm happy to say to move was worthwhile. Carplay totally blows Android Auto out of the water. While I am aware AA is getting a refresh soon, the battery issues forced me to change now, and I can't be happier. Carplay is much faster, and the interface makes more sense. I was a rabid anti-Apple person until now, but I've evolved. Sure, it's only an iPhone7 (I'm cheap), but it works much better/smoothly than the Samsung phone I just decommissioned. When it gets to the point you can't even pick up the Samsung phone because it's too hot, things need to change. IMO, Carplay > AA.
I'm still adjusting to my new pixel 3a. Android has a lot of options within options where you will need to dig to find what you need. The best way I can describe it is that iOS is more intuitive to use. I'm still using an iPhone 7 as my primary, Apple does a good job with iOS updates, and the A10 chip is still powerful enough for what I use my smartphone for. I haven't use an S7 with Android Auto but the Pixel 3a runs it smoothly. Not sure if it's because Google has the pixel 3a hardware optimized with Android similar to how Apple hardware is optimized for iOS. I'm looking forward to the more CarPlay like UI of the new Android Auto and I'm enjoying the gimmicky turn by turn arrows in the DII.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought an iPhone 5 and it works fine for the car. I still use Android though.

Apple maps are far superior to Waze or google in practically every aspect.

If there was dual bluetooth phone connection I would have both. I don't have service for the iPhone, so I just turn the hotspot on, on the android and everything works great.

Everything else, music, and messaging are equal to me, so mehhh.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone had a problem with Apple Carplay becoming "unable to start"? I've had my Insight for almost 9 months, and this has happened to me twice in the last month. I found the attached picture off of an Apple Discussion Thread - it started with an older version of iOS and also was only shown as affecting Accords (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8266287 and https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8173876), but it appears to have affected a lot of folks. Of note, when I update my Garmin maps, my system shows up in the Garmin app as being an Accord, so I have no doubt there are similarities (with similar problems).

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tried Android Auto (thought I would be a big user) but I didn't like it taking up the "big" screen. I just use an old phone as a GPS and set it on top of the car's display... then I can still use the car's display without having to mess with Android Auto. For me this works better.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
I recently learned an interesting tidbit about Google Maps on Android Auto. It uses the vehicle's GPS instead of the phone's GPS(to reduce battery drain and for a better lock on nearby satellites). It requires GPS hardware on the vehicle and app support(Google Maps only, Waze hasn't add support yet) for it to work. You can tell by looking to see if the GPS icon is showing on your phone. If it doesn't show then Google Maps on Android Auto is using the vehicle's GPS. From what we know, the EX trim does have GPS hardware (probably for SiriusXM), and Android Auto maybe. Going to confirm this when I bring my Pixel 3a with me tomorrow.

I also saw a Apple Maps car today and I think it snapped a picture of my Insight. :grin:
Has anyone had a problem with Apple Carplay becoming "unable to start"? I've had my Insight for almost 9 months, and this has happened to me twice in the last month. I found the attached picture off of an Apple Discussion Thread - it started with an older version of iOS and also was only shown as affecting Accords (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8266287 and https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8173876), but it appears to have affected a lot of folks. Of note, when I update my Garmin maps, my system shows up in the Garmin app as being an Accord, so I have no doubt there are similarities (with similar problems).
Have you try the following?
Turning bluetooth off on your phone?
Deleting the HondaLink app if you have it installed?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
I was able to confirm my findings today. As you can see, no GPS icon with Google Maps, but on Waze the GPS icon does appear. It's interesting that Honda unlocked the turn by turn arrows on the DII and vehicle GPS hardware on the EX trim for Android Auto(without having to pay extra for the built-in Garmin maps like the Touring). SiriusXM worked at the same time as Google Maps while vehicle GPS was being used, too.

Google Maps on CarPlay did show the GPS/Location arrow icon being on when I tried so I don't think CarPlay supports vehicle GPS just like the turn by turn arrow on the DII.

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
I was able to confirm my findings today. As you can see, no GPS icon with Google Maps, but on Waze the GPS icon does appear. It's interesting that Honda unlocked the turn by turn arrows on the DII and vehicle GPS hardware on the EX trim for Android Auto(without having to pay extra for the built-in Garmin maps like the Touring). SiriusXM worked at the same time as Google Maps while vehicle GPS was being used, too.

Google Maps on CarPlay did show the GPS/Location arrow icon being on when I tried so I don't think CarPlay supports vehicle GPS just like the turn by turn arrow on the DII.
2 things, I don't think iOS displays a gps icon ever.

Google maps won't display a gps icon in all scenarios. If you have downloaded maps, or google is satisfied with the cellular triangulation of your location it doesn't need gps verification at all times for your location.

Also you gave Waze permission to use gps on your phone.

Last comment, Honda has the ability to unlock that feature for iOS devices, but it isn't natively supported. The infotainment is an android based system, and CarPlay is simply an app for that system. AndroidAuto is a total integration, whereas CarPlay is more like a virtual machine, or remote. I hate to say this, but it was probably a penny cruncher that didn't want to pay to license that feature for iOS.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
2 things, I don't think iOS displays a gps icon ever.

Google maps won't display a gps icon in all scenarios. If you have downloaded maps, or google is satisfied with the cellular triangulation of your location it doesn't need gps verification at all times for your location.

Also you gave Waze permission to use gps on your phone.

Last comment, Honda has the ability to unlock that feature for iOS devices, but it isn't natively supported. The infotainment is an android based system, and CarPlay is simply an app for that system. AndroidAuto is a total integration, whereas CarPlay is more like a virtual machine, or remote. I hate to say this, but it was probably a penny cruncher that didn't want to pay to license that feature for iOS.
On iOS, it displays the location/GPS icon on the status bar for me whenever I use an app that requires location/GPS data, and it will remain there until I close the app. You can even confirm it within settings>privacy which app is currently using location/GPS by the purple arrow next to the app.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidAuto/comments/alyeje/android_auto_wont_use_my_vehicles_gps_antenna/
https://support.google.com/androidauto/forum/AAAA6SY52nIMkX_v2b28Iw/?hl=en&gpf=#!topic/android-auto/MkX_v2b28Iw
https://support.google.com/androidauto/forum/AAAA6SY52nIzGM13DQfP0o/?hl=en&gpf=#!topic/android-auto/zGM13DQfP0o

https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=657&t=255572

I had my Pixel 3a's screen on during my drive with Google Maps running in Android Auto and never saw the GPS/Location pin icon(I do see it when running Google Maps without connecting to Android Auto). Devs and other users from the above links are reporting that Google Maps does use vehicle GPS with Android Auto.

I don't think Honda is to blame for the lack of second screen support (like turn by turn arrows for the DII) in CarPlay when the Honda Insight launched. Apple didn't have this feature in CarPlay until they announced iOS 13. It will need the automaker to update the display audio software to support it (https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/252). I'm not sure if Honda will do that for our Insights considering they haven't push out a single software update for the display audio software yet. :sad:

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
I misunderstood, and stand corrected. Due to the notch I rarely look towards the top of my screen unless something is acting wonky.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts