Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, all! Like some others, I have been perusing this forum for a couple months now and have learned a lot about my new Insight from all the postings. I finally decided it was time to "jump in the deep end of the pool" and join.

Back in mid-May, I purchased the 2019 EX model in modern steel with black cloth interior. So far, the only thing I have done is to apply pinstripes. Due to my having co-owned a body shop for 25 years, I chose to do this myself instead of paying the dealer $140.00.

I'm still getting used to an automatic that has to be driven like a manual transmission. Not only is it fun but its also a challenge learning to be as efficient as possible with push button shifting and using the regen paddles. :grin:

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
My dealer adds pinstripes to all their cars, and I was surprised mine got that treatment even though I purchased mine before delivery and didn't pay for the add-on. They offered to remove them, but I figured they were already on and free to me. I noticed the front tip/edge of the pinstriping was lifted on one side of the car, but seemed to smooth down (like a sticker) with a little bit of pressure.

Could you comment more about getting used to driving the car like a manual transmission? Do you mean managing throttle level to control the gas engine being on/off? Or using the regen paddles for a downshifting-like effect?

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
Good day, all! Like some others, I have been perusing this forum for a couple months now and have learned a lot about my new Insight from all the postings. I finally decided it was time to "jump in the deep end of the pool" and join.

Back in mid-May, I purchased the 2019 EX model in modern steel with black cloth interior. So far, the only thing I have done is to apply pinstripes. Due to my having co-owned a body shop for 25 years, I chose to do this myself instead of paying the dealer $140.00.

I'm still getting used to an automatic that has to be driven like a manual transmission. Not only is it fun but its also a challenge learning to be as efficient as possible with push button shifting and using the regen paddles. :grin:
I'm noticing the Insight is attracting lots of different types of car owners (first hybrid, first new car, first Honda, previous truck owners, and previous manual car owners). The Insight can be as engaging as you want it to be where you can choose to actively use the paddles, switch between the 3 modes, try to aim for the highest MPG numbers, or just drive it like a normal car depending on your mood. Congrats on your new Insight and see you around the forum @LowRider!:smile:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Regarding my comment about driving car as if it had a manual transmission, I have been mostly in-town and suburb driving. I live in a county just outside of the city of Richmond so my trips have typically been 3 to 10 mile trips. The roads I take have quite a bit of ups and downs but nothing major. Since they are short trips, I find myself, as others have mentioned, planning ahead to make the most of EV and ECON modes with the occasional SPORT mode to quickly build up the battery. By no means am I disappointed in the car! I absolutely love the car but am still "playing" with the different "modes" to see what works best for my road conditions. Use of the regen paddles has become almost second nature to me now and I fully understand how to use them.

I only have just under 1000 miles on the car and only 2 fill-ups but I am averaging about 44 mpg. When I purchased the car, it already had 64 miles on it from people test driving the car. If test drives by others, in my car. were like mine, it was only 2-3 miles of driving so with my first fill-up the mileage was not good because the trip odometer had not been reset. With time, I'm sure my mpg will improve. Recently, on a few of my short trips the Power Flow Meter on the infotainment screen was showing I am getting anywhere between 50 and 60 mpg for those individual trips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts