Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Got my new Modern Steel metallic EX this last weekend, but due to a snafu, don't have the plates (and dealer did not think I would want to pay for the temp plates, so it is sitting in the driveway teasing me. Meanwhile the 2011 CR-V is still getting the love on my 80 mile round trip commute. The CR-V is staying in the family, daughter is learning to drive in it.

Busted my hybrid cherry driving a leased CR-Z for 3 years (2012-2015). I liked the car, was fun, but not as good in terms of mpg as I had hoped.

The ride home from the dealer, ~25 miles, mixed driving returned just over 60mpg. Fantastic start.

Been lurking for the last two weeks, got some good ideas for enhancements/changes from reading the forums. Tuxmats on the way, front seat covers after that.

Once I get to driving the Insight I hope to contribute some as well. My commute seems perfect to get the best out of the Insight and take advantage of all the tech goodies it provides; back roads, interstate (with some slow and stopping traffic - construction, and merging interstates), some state routes, 2 big bridges, 1 toll, some minor suburban/city roads. Hoping that the mix will double the CR-Vs mpg, currently averaging just under 25mpg on this route.

Updates to follow.
MG

·
Super Moderator
3,320 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry that you don't have plates yet for your car, but hopefully it's just a few more short days before they arrive and you're on your way!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi all,

Got my new Modern Steel metallic EX this last weekend, but due to a snafu, don't have the plates (and dealer did not think I would want to pay for the temp plates, so it is sitting in the driveway teasing me.MG
Welcome!

Temp Plates? You mean the "White w/BLK letters & numbered temp plates" that you see on all new cars? Your dealer charges for those? I don't recall being told or seen a charge for that.

·
Super Moderator
3,320 Posts
Looks like the charge in Rhode Island is 'only' $10 for temporary paper plates but only last 5 days (?), and may be offered at a marked-up service fee if done by dealer:

Q. What do I need to do if I am buying a new car?
A. If you are buying the car from a dealership, they may offer a service to register and title the vehicle for you. The dealer must provide you with the MSO (Manufactuturers' Statement of Origin), bill of sale and RI Dealer Tax Form. If the vehicle was purchased from an out-of-state dealer, a RI Sales Tax form must be used. If you are buying a car from out of state, bring the title (signed over to you by the previous owner), proof of insurance, and a bill of sale to any DMV location. You will have to buy a temporary plate ($10.00) as well.

State of Rhode Island: Division of Motor Vehicles: Frequently Asked Questions

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I got my actual plates on the same day I picked up my car(same with all my previous cars). I don't think MA does temporary plates because I have never seen temporary plates here except cars from NH.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, as I said snafus. If I had gone in person, I would have been done already.

But as a dealer service, RI seems to slow down the process. Dealer drops of pile of requests, then gets packet later in the day.
The big snafu that really delayed everything is that no one noticed the Insurance binder was only good to 5/20/19 ( my renewal date for policies on all the cars) and the DMV ended up rejecting because it did not show a year's worth of coverage.... Sigh. So the process started over again after the dealer notified me, another business day gone. Yesterday. Will see tomorrow, 5/23, if I get to pick up my plates from the dealer.

Yeah, process is a lot easier when done in person... Can correct stuff and get back in fast line... but, have to take off from work.

Looks like MA does not do temp plates. Interesting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts