Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked too close to a tree last weekend, and they moved into my car doors and undercarriage. I've done 2 thorough car washes, and they keep appearing.

They are burrowing into the car door where the rubber meets the doors. They are coming out of the top corners of my windshield. It's more than a nuissance, I'm really worried that they are eating the rubber, and I keep reading that they're attracted to batteries.

Any insight-safe treatments you can think of??

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
Try treating it with ant bait and repeated vacuuming. The ants take the bait back to the source without you having to locate it yourself.

I've used these Terro liquid ant baits in my yard with great success; they contain liquid, but maybe you can place on top of a shallow disposable pan and/or tape down so it doesn't move while driving. Or if you're not planning to drive for a few days, you could leave the bait out in an idle car and remove before moving/driving.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,457 Posts
Ants need water to survive. Along with any recommendations, keep your Insight in a hot, dry place to help. It goes without saying to keep the car clean to not give them a reason to stay.

I have not heard of anyone bug-bombing a car before, but you may just want to check with an auto detailer for advice. In the long run, the money of probably worth it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I hadn't thought of water keeping them alive! Perhaps the carwashes weren't the best, in that case. I do a drive-through car wash and dry the exterior myself. The car has a lot of little places where fluid puddles up! So perhaps there were some reservoirs left behind for them. I do plan to drive out to the desert this weekend, so hopefully a week of borax and a weekend in the heat gets them out of here!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try treating it with ant bait and repeated vacuuming. The ants take the bait back to the source without you having to locate it yourself.

I've used these Terro liquid ant baits in my yard with great success; they contain liquid, but maybe you can place on top of a shallow disposable pan and/or tape down so it doesn't move while driving. Or if you're not planning to drive for a few days, you could leave the bait out in an idle car and remove before moving/driving.
Thankfully they haven't gotten inside. It seems like they've planted within the door panel itself. I got some of these Terro traps yesterday, and I don't see any climbing around today. I'll leave them out for a few days to really make sure they're gone!

The package says to repeat doing it every few months... Do you find that you needed to reset the traps?

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
The package says to repeat doing it every few months... Do you find that you needed to reset the traps?
Honestly, I've only used once (2 baits set out per ant hill outside). I haven't repeated treatment, and there hasn't been a return of the pests - highly effective after one use. The Terro product includes/contains borax as an active ingredient.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts