Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So being new to hybrids I'm learning its a different beast from normal cars. In my old car I rarely ever shifted beyond Drive or Reverse. So I'm reading all t he wonderful tips and testing things out on my drives. But was wondering if there was any good YouTube videos that show hybrid driving (on an insight would be best) and how to use all the modes at their best times? I like reading what people have learned and will also add what I've learned after I put a couple thousand miles on her.

·
Registered
836 Posts
There are plenty of general "hyper-mile-ing" tutorials on youtube.

I'm still baffled, the significant other drove home last night (she hardly wants to drive), and her style is much more aggressive than mine, and the **** car loved it. If I drove like that, I'd end up sub 50mpg. When we pulled into the driveway, she was just shy of 60mpg.

Sometimes this car annoys the crap out of me, the more I learn to manipulate my driving habits, and routes, the more consistently I average 55+mpg trips. She gets in, accelerates hard at every light, brakes late, and the car ate it up, just to spite me (at least I feel like Cornelius "the car" hates me sometimes).

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
So being new to hybrids I'm learning its a different beast from normal cars. In my old car I rarely ever shifted beyond Drive or Reverse. So I'm reading all t he wonderful tips and testing things out on my drives. But was wondering if there was any good YouTube videos that show hybrid driving (on an insight would be best) and how to use all the modes at their best times? I like reading what people have learned and will also add what I've learned after I put a couple thousand miles on her.
I haven't seen Insight-specific youtube videos on mode-management and even ones specific to optimizing the Accord Hybrid are limited. Since the car is new, most of the "Insight" videos provide general overviews rather than specific hypermiling tips.

These videos are more along the lines of informational/descriptive about modes on the Honda Accord Hybrid, but had some interesting nuggets that were even new to me:
ECON - youtube.com/watch?v=a6M84cexlZA
SPORT- youtube.com/watch?v=MxrkXljkjcc​
The Accord Hybrid gets more 'graphics' than the Insight for each mode, and the Insight (1.5L) only sees transmission/engine performance (vs engine + suspension + steering as on the Accord Hybrid 2.0L).

I also like this video posted in this Insight Touring review thread. It's a little long, but the driver takes the Insight on his 'standard test route' in Econ mode, and ends up with 68 mpg by driving the car normally (i.e. brake pedal vs regen paddles) rather than switching modes or using the paddles. It's a philosophy I've used, after seeing the result.

Since Gen3 Insight hypermiling videos are in short supply, I've learned the most about modes by reading what people have shared in the forum. These are a few threads with relevant discussion on modes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts