Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings- I'm buying a used 2019 EX this week with 83 K miles. I plan on putting a lot of miles on this car, I'm hoping not to have any issues with it being a Honda. I'm wondering for long-term owners, what issues you'vd had? I've looked through threads here and haven't seen too many high mielage Insights. Hopefully won't have to replace the battery anytime soon- any input appreciated. Thanks!

· Registered
2019 EX White Pearl Orchid
89 Posts
Most people log into auto forums with issues/problems... this site is very quiet which is a good sign for problems !!
I have a 2019 EX as well with about/around 116K miles and no issues... just following the MM (Maintenance Minder) for service as scheduled. The biggest issue with most is the head unit of which Honda unfortunately is behind the times with... Congrats on your purchase

· Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,851 Posts
The most common issue I've seen mentioned is the 12v battery. Not extremely common thogh. Many electrical gremlins have had the 12v battery found to be the root cause - odd, unrelated DII warnings and such. Personally, I have not had this issue.

I'm on my second Insight - my son has my first - with total mileage of about 90K between them. No issues here.

· Registered
533 Posts
The most common issue I've seen mentioned is the 12v battery. Not extremely common thogh. Many electrical gremlins have had the 12v battery found to be the root cause - odd, unrelated DII warnings and such. Personally, I have not had this issue.

I'm on my second Insight - my son has my first - with total mileage of about 90K between them. No issues here.
On that note, I noticed a considerable decline in posts about wierd errors after they did the BCM recall/update..

· Registered
2022 Lunar Silver Insight EX
63 Posts
Greetings- I'm buying a used 2019 EX this week with 83 K miles. I plan on putting a lot of miles on this car, I'm hoping not to have any issues with it being a Honda. I'm wondering for long-term owners, what issues you'vd had? I've looked through threads here and haven't seen too many high mielage Insights. Hopefully won't have to replace the battery anytime soon- any input appreciated. Thanks!
There are a few people who have very high miles on their insight so putting on lots of miles should not be an issue.

· Registered
692 Posts
Not sure if you did a PPI ( Pre purchase inspection ), but assuming everything is OK, you should be OK for a long time. If you look at the high mileage thread, I have about 250,000 miles with zero issues.

· Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,349 Posts
The car itself in my opinion is reliable just like any other Honda I have owned.

Just make sure...
  • The previous owner(s) completed the necessary maintenance/recalls
  • The vehicle was not in an accident or damaged by flood water

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure if you did a PPI ( Pre purchase inspection ), but assuming everything is OK, you should be OK for a long time. If you look at the high mileage thread, I have about 250,000 miles with zero issues.
I haven't picked up the car yet, I'm debating about a PPI, wondering if I can trust the Honda dealer's inpsection...

· Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,851 Posts
I haven't picked up the car yet, I'm debating about a PPI, wondering if I can trust the Honda dealer's inpsection...
If it's a Honda "certified" vehicle, I wouldn't worry about a PPI. They would need to stand behind what they sell as being what is stated.

Per Andrew's comment about CarFax not having all details, it's true. I know from experience. My son damaged the front bumper of our '19 Insight. I paid out of pocket for replacement, and CarFax is none the wiser. It was minor damage and completely repaired but goes to prove that CarFax is not the end-all, be-all for historical information.

· Registered
692 Posts
Find a independent shop that specializes in hybrids locally.. check their yelp reviews to see what other people with hybrids have said.. and then call for pricing.. yeah I would be kind of weary of Honda dealership PPI too.

· Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,349 Posts
If it's a Honda "certified" vehicle, I wouldn't worry about a PPI. They would need to stand behind what they sell as being what is stated.
Yeah, if it's certified by Honda and not dealership certified then PPI is not necessary. You have Honda's true certified program benefit to cover you.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for your input everyone! I picked up the car yesterday- everything good w/inspection. But-- today I noticed that there is rust under the seats on the metal frame- the side of the seat actually discolored from it (ivory interior). Wth??
This has me buggin a bit...Wondered if it's from the car being up north for a year with salt getting inside, etc??

· Registered
533 Posts
Thanks for your input everyone! I picked up the car yesterday- everything good w/inspection. But-- today I noticed that there is rust under the seats on the metal frame- the side of the seat actually discolored from it (ivory interior). Wth??
This has me buggin a bit...Wondered if it's from the car being up north for a year with salt getting inside, etc??
Any pictures?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts