Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all!

A friend recommended that I buy a portable jump starter for my 2019 Honda Insight as I road-trip around America. He thought that I should check out a forum for other Honda Insight owners since my car is a hybrid and has a keyless ignition.

What portable jump starters have you been using for your 2019 Honda Insight? I want to make sure I get one that is compatible.

This is one that I have been looking at. I understand that I should get a 12 Volt one, but want to see if anyone has recommendations.

NOCO Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter Box, Car Battery Booster Pack, Portable Power Bank Charger, and Jumper Cables For Up To 6-Liter Gasoline and 3-Liter Diesel Engines

Thanks all!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I bought an Audew. Watched a bunch of reviews and Youtube videos. Audew started a dual battery diesel tractor in 40 degree weather with no effort. Have not had a chance to use it yet other than my lawn mower. Works great for that.

If you chose them, they are based in Europe. You get no notification that the item has shipped or tracking information and due to being in Europe it takes a while to get here, but they are not a fraud and it will show up.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi all!

A friend recommended that I buy a portable jump starter for my 2019 Honda Insight as I road-trip around America. He thought that I check out a forum for other Honda Insight owners since my car is a hybrid and has a keyless ignition.

What portable jump starters have you been using for your 2019 Honda Insight? I want to make sure I get one that is compatible.

This is one that I have been looking at. I understand that I should get a 12 Volt one, but want to see if anyone has recommendations.

NOCO Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter Box, Car Battery Booster Pack, Portable Power Bank Charger, and Jumper Cables For Up To 6-Liter Gasoline and 3-Liter Diesel Engines

Thanks all!
Id say that one is a little overkill but it would work. You only need one strong enough to start up the electronics in your car as the big high voltage battery is what starts the Insight, not the 12 volt battery. My suggestion would be to maybe look for a cheaper model that says it can start engines up to 5.0 gas and 2.0 diesel. I was gonna provide a link for one I bought that I’ve used to jump start motorcycles and my roomie’s 2.4 Cherokee but it’s been discontinued. Keep in mind that these lithium battery powered jump starters do lose their charge over time so you have to remember to charge them once every 3-4 months or before a major cross country trip.

Reactions: pc77

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,205 Posts
^This is the cheapest model NOCO offers and it works up to 4L engines (Insight is 1.5L).
Storage Temperature: -20ºC to +50ºC (Avg Temp.)
The storage temp is up to 50C(122F) but I would be careful storing this inside the car if it's really hot.

You can ask a Honda dealership for a 12v battery health check if you're curious what condition your battery is in. If it's in good condition you shouldn't need to worry about needing to jump start as long as you don't accidentally drain the 12v battery while the car is not running.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Insight EX - Platinum White Pearl
78 Posts
Jump-N-Carry is one of the most reputable brands of portable jump starters in the US. I've noticed several tow truck/AAA service providers carrying their larger models, so ten years ago, I bought their smallest model for my car and it was a great decision as it has saved me on a number of occasions. It is built like a tank and the sealed lead acid battery inside still holds a full charge after ten years (something that is unlikely to be true of most inexpensive lithium ion jump starters). In fact, I had to use it just a week ago on my Insight when the 12V battery was mysteriously dead one morning (nothing had been left on that we could find). They still sell the same model, though the price has risen quite a bit since I bought it. However, based on my experience, I can wholeheartedly recommend this model. https://a.co/d/940GlFa

If you are set on a compact lithium charger, I would still recommend going with Jump-N-Carry's just based on my experience with their lead acid model and their stellar reputation. https://a.co/d/j6itb8X

1 - 5 of 5 Posts