Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Ohio, our new Governor, in office for 2 months has proposed an 18 cent increase in the state gasoline tax. The Legislature, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to support the new tax, ( both houses and the statehouse is controlled by the same party) but wants to cut it back to about half and then increase it over several years. Interesting part is the proposed bill, which my legislator supports will charge a "user fee" of 200 bucks for electric cars and a 100 a year user fee for Hybrids. I wrote him about this bill, which he supports of course, and he replied that the user fee for hybrids is for road use " similar to internal combustion engines" I don't think this guy has any idea what a hybrid is, but he supports the user feel anyway. Are other states using this tactic to soak energy efficient hybrids? I wrote my legislator back, but it is like talking to a wall. He doesn't dare not support it, of course. Do other states have this "user fee"?

·
Super Moderator
2,686 Posts
Here in Ohio, our new Governor, in office for 2 months has proposed an 18 cent increase in the state gasoline tax. The Legislature, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to support the new tax, ( both houses and the statehouse is controlled by the same party) but wants to cut it back to about half and then increase it over several years. Interesting part is the proposed bill, which my legislator supports will charge a "user fee" of 200 bucks for electric cars and a 100 a year user fee for Hybrids. I wrote him about this bill, which he supports of course, and he replied that the user fee for hybrids is for road use " similar to internal combustion engines" I don't think this guy has any idea what a hybrid is, but he supports the user feel anyway. Are other states using this tactic to soak energy efficient hybrids? I wrote my legislator back, but it is like talking to a wall. He doesn't dare not support it, of course. Do other states have this "user fee"?
https://www.twincities.com/2019/02/20/republican-led-tax-on-hybrid-and-electric-cars-would-be-highest-in-u-s/
https://wbhm.org/feature/2019/states-proposed-gas-tax-bill-places-fees-on-electric-hybrid-car-owners/
https://www.pressherald.com/2018/02/13/maine-hybrid-electric-car-drivers-fume-about-proposed-tax/

Minnesota, Maine, and Alabama were some of the states that have implemented or considered doing this. Automakers have stated that they plan on producing mainly vehicles with some sort of electrification going forward. Lawmakers see the writing on the wall and the loss of gas tax revenue(less gas purchased = less gas tax revenue). This is sort of like when they found out people are shopping online more which means less sales tax.

I'm already paying more on my motor vehicle excise tax so I would be pissed if MA implemented something similar...

·
Super Moderator
1,232 Posts
Your legislator has a little "too much yardage between the goalposts." Your car runs on gasoline! Let's say, hypothetically, that someone produces an ICE-only car that gets 50mpg. That owner should skate while the hybrid owner pays. This seems like something that will be challenged in court eventually. I get the EV-only crowd that buys no gas, but soaking the hybrid owner is not fair. For the fairest way, they should go my miles travelled. That would even the playing field. Except some would argue that out-of-state miles should not count. Okay, so there's no perfect method. I still think miles traveled would be the fairest.

Reactions: FRR

·
Super Moderator
2,686 Posts
Personally I think the best way to handle this for the state to spend less. But you guys know what a doofus I am.🙄
I don't know about other states but here in MA. The money is definitely not being spent... at least not on the roads and bridges. I just want them to fix the potholes. I saw a guy on Monday trying to dodge a pothole on the highway only to hit another one lol. Thankfully I kept my distance and saw his tire bounce to know a pothole was there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the legislature in Ohio has finally acted. At first the State Senate decreased the hybrid fee from 100 bucks down to 75 but in the conference committee it was raised again back to 100 dollars. So, unless something changes, hybrid owners in Ohio will start paying 10 cents a gallon more for gas in July, like everyone else plus a $100.00 a year "user fee". Our state is controlled by one political party that has never been a big fan of the environment anyway, but this legislation to punitive to hybrid owners at best. Based on 8000 miles of driving per year, and compared to my Civic that I owned previous to this purchase, my savings with this ludicrous "user fee", will save me a whopping 50 bucks a year! I wrote my state senator and informed him that, even though he could care less, I'd vote for anything that walked on 2 legs before I'd vote for him. I'm amazed more hybrid owners in Ohio aren't more concerned about this, but I will bet few even know. The legislators have worked hard to keep this section of the purposed law under wraps, and they have succeeded.

·
Super Moderator
1,232 Posts
Well, the legislature in Ohio has finally acted. At first the State Senate decreased the hybrid fee from 100 bucks down to 75 but in the conference committee it was raised again back to 100 dollars. So, unless something changes, hybrid owners in Ohio will start paying 10 cents a gallon more for gas in July, like everyone else plus a $100.00 a year "user fee". Our state is controlled by one political party that has never been a big fan of the environment anyway, but this legislation to punitive to hybrid owners at best. Based on 8000 miles of driving per year, and compared to my Civic that I owned previous to this purchase, my savings with this ludicrous "user fee", will save me a whopping 50 bucks a year! I wrote my state senator and informed him that, even though he could care less, I'd vote for anything that walked on 2 legs before I'd vote for him. I'm amazed more hybrid owners in Ohio aren't more concerned about this, but I will bet few even know. The legislators have worked hard to keep this section of the purposed law under wraps, and they have succeeded.
They'll differentiate a hybrid car from a non-hybrid car at the pump? I can't see them making that happen. What is your state senator smoking? I live in New Jersey. We have mandatory full-serve gas and have lower prices then Pennsylvania (a mile away). Our gas tax went up last year, but we're still crazy cheap. I guess being in a blue state has its advantages even though I'm a "red" voter.

·
Registered
642 Posts
They'll differentiate a hybrid car from a non-hybrid car at the pump? I can't see them making that happen. What is your state senator smoking? I live in New Jersey. We have mandatory full-serve gas and have lower prices then Pennsylvania (a mile away). Our gas tax went up last year, but we're still crazy cheap. I guess being in a blue state has its advantages even though I'm a "red" voter.
To be honest I think this has less to do with blue or red state and more to do with the fact none of these bozos seem capable of balancing a budget or spending money without paying for the highest bidder in the end. Just my non-political 2 cents on this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The neighboring state of Alabama (I live in GA) has also proposed/passed gas tax increases as well as the "user fees" for electric and hybrid vehicles. The legislation specifies plug-in hybrids. My guess is because like an all-electric vehicle, you could theoretically not use gas or certainly use less gas as long as the vehicle was kept charged and you only used the vehicle's electric range. Not sure how Ohio's legislation is worded.

·
Super Moderator
2,686 Posts
The additional gasoline tax is expected to cost a motorist who drives 15,000 miles a year and gets 25 miles per gallon an extra $63 per year. https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/local/ohio-drivers-set-pay-cents-per-gallon-gas-tax-increase/58FYUkaPpHgIF1PSlMuj9M/
That is just messed up, a 25mpg vehicle will only pay $63 more per year, while your Honda Insight will be $100 in the hole before you even pay for a drop of gas.

Pennsylvania has the highest state gas tax rate at 58.70 cents and that is even before you add the 18.40 cents federal gas tax. They pay 77.10 cents/gallon in taxes alone to fuel up. Why haven't PA residents get rid of those idiots that allowed this to happen?

You would think they have the best roads and bridges with that high gas tax.... I agree with @Verdier.

·
Registered
312 Posts
They are charging everyone more for gas, and for the crime of not purchasing gas, they're charging hybrid owners more on top?

It strikes me that these politicians would probably be all for letting free market forces work, if we were talking about an industry that didn't have a lobby.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The neighboring state of Alabama (I live in GA) has also proposed/passed gas tax increases as well as the "user fees" for electric and hybrid vehicles. The legislation specifies plug-in hybrids. My guess is because like an all-electric vehicle, you could theoretically not use gas or certainly use less gas as long as the vehicle was kept charged and you only used the vehicle's electric range. Not sure how Ohio's legislation is worded.[/QUOTE The way the law will work in Ohio, and our new Governor signed it 2 days ago, is that hybrids will pay an extra 100 bucks at vehicle renewal time and all electric will pay 200. And of course we will pay for extra 10 cents per gallon like everyone else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The neighboring state of Alabama (I live in GA) has also proposed/passed gas tax increases as well as the "user fees" for electric and hybrid vehicles. The legislation specifies plug-in hybrids. My guess is because like an all-electric vehicle, you could theoretically not use gas or certainly use less gas as long as the vehicle was kept charged and you only used the vehicle's electric range. Not sure how Ohio's legislation is worded.[/QUOTE The way the law will work in Ohio, and our new Governor signed it 2 days ago, is that hybrids will pay an extra 100 bucks at vehicle renewal time and all electric will pay 200. And of course we will pay for extra 10 cents per gallon like everyone else.
That's totally messed up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As a followup I stopped by my local Honda dealer and asked the sales force if they were aware of this new law. They said they were not, but they sure wouldn't tell prospective customers about it since it might hurt hybrid and all electric sales. I found out my local State Senator voted against the bill for the very reason I raised, but my state rep voted for it. He was the guy that didn't seem to know what the **** a hybrid was. And of course out new pipsqueak Governor signed it since he wants the extra money starting in July. My county Engineer convinced the County Commissioners to add 5 bucks to the license feel last July to " help care for county roads". Nothing like getting hit from all sides in one year. I would be willing to bet that not more than 10% of hybrid owners even know this part of the law was passed. Most press releases during the budget hearings never said a word about it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If we are not careful we may see a proposal to have sales tax on food based on our weight, the lighter weight people will have a surcharge.
One way to publicize this situation is to write a letter to the editor of your newspapers as well as post to social media sites that seem to be read quite a bit. It does seem we have the best political leaders money can buy. In the Ohio case it would be interesting to see what kind of business entities (lobbyists) contributed to the campaign of the legislator who started this idea as well as the governor. I am curious who planted the seed for this idea for him or does he claim to have thought of it all by himself while sitting on the home throne Since hybrid vehicle owners are such a minority of voters, state and local leaders can feel highly insulated from any push back by this voting segment. In my case, I bought my Insight Dec 30 2018 and have less than 600 miles on it, so I would benefit by being charged on my miles driven. I can't see any car companies getting involved in this fiasco.

·
Registered
455 Posts
There’s no doubt that the gas tax isn’t going to cut it as a way to finance highways in the future. It’s been flawed all along. The most equitable fee would be based on miles driven, possibly factoring in vehicle weight. But the problem has always been in how to go about doing it. Minnesota is trying to sneak in a hybrid annual fee of $125 this year. I’ll be writing my congressman this week!

·
Super Moderator
4,072 Posts
It seems like just a matter of time before all states adopt something like this (hopefully LATER rather than sooner... and hopefully with a grandfathering of cars purchased before a certain date). Most car manufacturers (including Honda) have committed to increasing the % of their "electrified" car sales by 2025-2030. Leave it to government to figure out how to capitalize and tax on something that could otherwise be a positive environmental and industry trend...

·
Registered
6 Posts
A North Carolina Senate committee recently proposed a bill to charge hybrid car owners a registration fee to offset the gas tax money they are saving. The bill also more than doubles the current fee that full EV vehicles owners must pay.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article229072449.html

"Owners of electric vehicles have paid a special annual registration fee since 2013, and it was raised to $130 two years later. But this would be the first time hybrid vehicle owners would face such a fee. Under the bill, it would start at $87.50 a year in 2020 and rise to $112.50 the following year and $137.50 in 2022."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today (April 26) wral.com reported that the North Carolina House has proposed a similar bill but it does not include a fee for hybrid cars (but plug-in hybrids would be charged).

https://www.wral.com/dmv-headquarters-move-to-rocky-mount-included-in-house-budget/18349552/

"Plug-in hybrid registration fees would start at $87.50 and eventually increase above $137. This proposal initially included hybrids that generate electricity from their gasoline engines, but those vehicles were dropped from the language Friday morning so the fee would hit only plug-in hybrids.
The House proposal is similar to one with support in the Senate, but the House's fees are lower."

·
Super Moderator
4,072 Posts
In supplement to the preceding post, I found this map showing fees by state on electric/hybrid cars, as of 3/21/19.
- About half (21) of the states have an incremental tax listed.
- Utah fee doubles in 2 years
- Oklahoma tax was overruled by State Supreme Court
- South Carolina's fee is every 2 years
- 8 states also add a separate fee for hybrids

http://www.ncsl.org/research/energy/new-fees-on-hybrid-and-electric-vehicles.aspx

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts