Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to only be one post about upgrading the horn on this car, but it was made 3 years ago and it doesn't seem like any definite conclusion was made, except for Verdier who later realized that he could've made the upgrade far more straightforward if he had used the Horn Adapter Harness. Is there anyone who has successfully changed the horn since then with the adapter who can provide some insight on this?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I traded in a Buick Encore with a horn that HONKS, the Insight is more like neep. pitiful sound
The problem is that the Insight only has one horn. Most cars have two horns, a low and high-pitched one. If I were to buy a dual horn kit the first horn would be plug and play but the other horn would have to be DIY mounted somewhere close to the other one. The only resource I really have to work with are Civic videos since that car is the most similar to the Insight.

·
Registered
2021 Insight EX
125 Posts
Aren't there single unit horns that play both pitches? It looks like there's something out there for the Civic, not that it sounds like Detroit from the '60s. But it's at least marginally better than the tin can currently sitting under the hood.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aren't there single unit horns that play both pitches? It looks like there's something out there for the Civic, not that it sounds like Detroit from the '60s. But it's at least marginally better than the tin can currently sitting under the hood.
That horn only plays a low-pitch sound. I've asked around and numerous people have told me it's impossible to get one that plays 2 pitches. At the very least no one has been able to provide me with an example, so there's that. I'm probably just going to try and find a good-sounding single unit horn.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'll probably just end up getting this one. I trust College Hills more than some random Amazon horn + it already comes with the adapter. Don't think I'll find one that is somehow better but if I do I'll make sure to let you guys know.
The Marco air horn I got is still running strong and is still putting out a nice dual tone. It's like a mini-air horn in a small package.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Marco air horn I got is still running strong and is still putting out a nice dual tone. It's like a mini-air horn in a small package.
I was actually just watching that older horn video you made trying to see if you could somehow fit two horns in that area. Interesting to know that dual horns exist, I was beginning to get the notion that they didn't. My only gripe with that horn is that it's too high-pitched, though the sound is definitely unique and I can see why you like it. Most of the dual horns I see have a low pitch of around 350-400hz and a high pitch of 450-500hz. Yours has a low of 520hz and a high of 660hz. I've seen some low-profile disc horns like these, and considering how small they are I don't think I should run into much trouble mounting them. The problem would just be the wiring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Update: looked around for a bit and found a splitter on the collegehills website. Seems like it would work pretty well, but the supported vehicle list hasn't been updated in a while and doesn't show the 3rd gen Insight or even a 10th gen Civic. This would only matter if the connector had changed since then which I doubt it has.

I also found this Y-splitter on Amazon which would make the whole process even easier. Although it doesn't seem too suspicious and has good reviews, I can't really find another splitter like this from any other brand. I don't really know what to make of it.

Edit: Well I was wrong. The 9th gen and 10th gen civic harnesses look completely different.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'll probably just end up getting this one. I trust College Hills more than some random Amazon horn + it already comes with the adapter. Don't think I'll find one that is somehow better but if I do I'll make sure to let you guys know.
Fair enough, but just for the record I'm pretty sure it's Italian made so I don't think it's a random amazon horn. I figure when you say random amazon horn you mean some odd Chinese made horn from some unknown company in far Asia. Uh oh, did I just try to protect my fragile horn ego. 😉

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fair enough, but just for the record I'm pretty sure it's Italian made so I don't think it's a random amazon horn. I figure when you say random amazon horn you mean some odd Chinese made horn from some unknown company in far Asia. Uh oh, did I just try to protect my fragile horn ego. 😉
You're right, according to the listing it is indeed made in Italy. It seems I'm gonna be eating those words I said. That Y-split adapter is basically the only way you can get two horns in this car, at least from my knowledge. Oh look, it's from a Chinese company. It is at least sold and shipped by Amazon, which makes me a bit more confident.

The most frequent method I've seen for adding a second horn is with a relay. It would look something like this:
Product Rectangle Font Line Parallel

Since the Insight's 12V battery's '+' terminal is oddly shaped and also covered, I don't think this is something you'd want to do. If it's even possible.

My (hopefully) final resolution on this is buying the Y-splitter adapter along with 2 OEM 2018+ Honda Accord Horns (Part # 38100-TVA-D01 and 38150-TVA-D01). The connectors are the same and the Accord horns draw ≤ 10 amps, the same as the Insight. Theoretically, no relay or inline fuse should be necessary. I just hope the Accord horns actually fit in the car. You'd probably also need some brackets as well since the Accord's are oddly shaped and might not work.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I was actually just watching that older horn video you made trying to see if you could somehow fit two horns in that area. Interesting to know that dual horns exist, I was beginning to get the notion that they didn't. My only gripe with that horn is that it's too high-pitched, though the sound is definitely unique and I can see why you like it. Most of the dual horns I see have a low pitch of around 350-400hz and a high pitch of 450-500hz. Yours has a low of 520hz and a high of 660hz. I've seen some low-profile disc horns like these, and considering how small they are I don't think I should run into much trouble mounting them. The problem would just be the wiring.
You might try looking at the second one I made after I grew a brain and got the college hills horn adapter. It better shows just how tight the area is. I figure dual discs would probably fit there. You might even fit 2 horns there, but the compressor would have to be mounted elsewhere and you would definitely need a relay for it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You might try looking at the second one I made after I grew a brain and got the college hills horn adapter. It better shows just how tight the area is. I figure dual discs would probably fit there. You might even fit 2 horns there, but the compressor would have to be mounted elsewhere and you would definitely need a relay for it.
I'm sure I could get 2 horns to fit in there, the Accord horns are relatively small. I can't find disc horns that have a 2 pin connector. This one has 2 pins according to the answer someone gave, but in the listing's pictures it looks like a single pin.

I'm pretty sure only things like train and air horns need a compressor. The typical disc and snail horns should be fine by themselves.

Also, I'm blind. The Accord horns have a small bracket on them.
Organism Slope Font Elbow Diagram

I was looking at #2 and #5 on the diagram thinking those were the brackets you'd have to use.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm sure I could get 2 horns to fit in there, the Accord horns are relatively small. I can't find disc horns that have a 2 pin connector. This one has 2 pins according to the answer someone gave, but in the listing's pictures it looks like a single pin.

I'm pretty sure only things like train and air horns need a compressor. The typical disc and snail horns should be fine by themselves.

Also, I'm blind. The Accord horns have a small bracket on them.
View attachment 7482

I was looking at #2 and #5 on the diagram thinking those were the brackets you'd have to use.
Well the insight has a bracket as well. I can't remember it well but you might be able to modify it to fit 2 disc horns. The snail horns will be a bit more difficult. I'm pretty sure you'll need a small compressor to push the longer tube horns but your snail horns might have have a mini compressor built in. The Marco unit I used was basically dual snail horns with a mini compressor pushing it. It came with a relay, but the car was able to push the horn without it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I traded in a Buick Encore with a horn that HONKS, the Insight is more like neep. pitiful sound
Where it’s truly awful and dangerous is on the highway. It’s barely audible inside your own car at speed. I can’t imagine anyone hearing it with closed windows and a radio on. It’s only useful at a stoplight where you are right behind someone, magnifying what little sound it makes. Hell, my scooters have louder horns.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where it’s truly awful and dangerous is on the highway. It’s barely audible inside your own car at speed. I can’t imagine anyone hearing it with closed windows and a radio on. It’s only useful at a stoplight where you are right behind someone, magnifying what little sound it makes. Hell, my scooters have louder horns.
I'm amazed that Honda decided it was a good idea to put one small disc horn in a car. Even the Clarity, which is more or less the same size as an Accord, has this crappy thing. Cost-cutting I'm sure, the same reason we only have 1 pocket on the back of the front seats.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts