Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried doing this with my Insight LX and it is almost near impossible. Contacting Crutchfield. Best Buy. And also chinese aftermarking ones like Joying, and none of them have it.

Hard for me to believe since the Civic does. Although the civic headunit is different dimensions.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Is your goal to change out the Insight LX "color audio" head unit to match the Insight EX/Touring "display audio" one? Or are you wanting to replace it with something else (non-Honda/non-OEM)?

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
I'm going off-topic here... Does that small lcd screen on the LX work with lanewatch and the backup cam?

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
I'm going off-topic here... Does that small lcd screen on the LX work with lanewatch and the backup cam?
The Insight's LX trim doesn't get LaneWatch as an included feature. The LX back-up camera displays on the color audio screen, but only shows fixed guidelines (vs dynamic steering-adjusted guidelines on EX and Touring).

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
The Insight's LX trim doesn't get LaneWatch as an included feature. The LX back-up camera displays on the color audio screen, but only shows fixed guidelines (vs dynamic steering-adjusted guidelines on EX and Touring).
Didn't know the LX doesn't come with lanewatch. Will keep an eye out on that as I'm spotting Insights. :smile_big:

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
I am surprised a Honda Civic GPS/Radio Headunit doesn't work on an Insight. I wanted to install something like this so I can use android apps and install a front view camera on it.
I don't think there are any physically-common head units across current Honda models.
- The Insight's head unit interface and standalone frame are like the Accord, but is narrower than the Accord's.
- The GenX Civic has the older generation interface and the head unit has 'shoulders' rather than being rectangular like the Insight's.

Not sure what to suggest as aftermarket alternative for the head unit, but wanted to flag the physical differences between Honda head units (attached).

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
I think John k is trying to put an aftermarket Android unit into his lx model insight. In one of his videos he tried putting in an ex or touring screen in his lx but it didn't have the proper connections to work. I'm thinking with more research he'll have better luck with the aftermarket Android head unit in the lx since it doesn't start with the more complex color system unit so less proprietary stuff to bypass.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
If I'm reading the Japanese Insight press kit and spec sheets correctly, all Japanese trim levels (LX, EX, EX Black) come with 8" monitor and navigation standard.

The display controls are different (alternate buttons, opposite side, Japanese display, Japense navigation system), but maybe this suggests that US LX should be retrofit-able with the same display as the US EX and Touring...?

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
do you mean you want to get an aftermarket headunit for the LX? if so, i want to as well.. i have a Pioneer 4500NEX touchscreen display that i want to put in its place, but not sure how that would work.. so if one were to remove the OEM headunit, will it just be a flat surface behind the unit or will there be an "opening" where you can fit in something? i figure, for my situation atleast, if there is an opening, its not going to be 7" ( which is roughly the size of the Pioneer unit) so i would probably have to make modifications to get it to fit..

I pulled out all the audio components on my previous car before i sold it so i have a complete sound system (minus sub) ready for my car... i want to do an audio build thread but want to know if the headunit can be swapped out in place of aftermarket..

Since were on topic on aftermarket components for the Insight, does anyone know the effects of running an amp in this car with the hybrid system? will it affect it negatively? of course, nowadays you can get a super efficient class D amp and have peace of mind that theres not too much current being drawn from battery..

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
do you mean you want to get an aftermarket headunit for the LX? if so, i want to as well.. i have a Pioneer 4500NEX touchscreen display that i want to put in its place, but not sure how that would work.. so if one were to remove the OEM headunit, will it just be a flat surface behind the unit or will there be an "opening" where you can fit in something? i figure, for my situation atleast, if there is an opening, its not going to be 7" ( which is roughly the size of the Pioneer unit) so i would probably have to make modifications to get it to fit..

I pulled out all the audio components on my previous car before i sold it so i have a complete sound system (minus sub) ready for my car... i want to do an audio build thread but want to know if the headunit can be swapped out in place of aftermarket..

@johnkhaz tried installing an EX/Touring head unit in the LX, but found the LX wiring wasn't sufficient for the connections. He's instead ordered an aftermarket head unit and plans to show how that install turns out.

(video has an abrupt ending, but see comments/replies below the video for context...)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=reaCKbhx6MY

·
Registered
143 Posts
@johnkhaz tried installing an EX/Touring head unit in the LX, but found the LX wiring wasn't sufficient for the connections. He's instead ordered an aftermarket head unit and plans to show how that install turns out.

(video has an abrupt ending, but see comments/replies below the video for context...)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=reaCKbhx6MY
Worse comes to worse.. I can always sell my Pioneer and buy a model that tucks away and has a touch screen that “pops” out.

I rarely ever leave the stock head unit in any of my cars. In fact , on crutchfield , there are 3 units that they recommend for the Insight that pops out (which suggests it can be done). Only thing I’ll miss from the stock headunit is the back up camera view change, which most likely an aftermarket will not support (unless you start talking about reprogramming an aftermarket unit).

·
Registered
558 Posts

Since were on topic on aftermarket components for the Insight, does anyone know the effects of running an amp in this car with the hybrid system? will it affect it negatively? of course, nowadays you can get a super efficient class D amp and have peace of mind that theres not too much current being drawn from battery..
I have seen no Ill effects of running amps on the insight. I currently run an 8 channel DSP/amp at 85 watts per channel and a sub amp running about 175 watts at 4 ohms with no loss of milage or any problems with power.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Anyone know where I can source an 8” stereo from Insight?

So I really like the 8 inch radio on the EX and above models and would like to retrofit it to my car.. the only biggest problem is it’s still new and dealer wants a lot for it (over 2k for everything, front panel and unit)..

Anyone might know a dealer or source I can get it for around 500-600? Or even cheaper? Seems like I checked everywhere already..

Maybe I just have to wait around for an EX or Touring part-out.

I’m kinda thinking I should’ve went with an EX but I got such a good deal on the LX and it was in white orchid pearl (the only color I wanted and the EX was another color)..

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
So I really like the 8 inch radio on the EX and above models and would like to retrofit it to my car.. the only biggest problem is it’s still new and dealer wants a lot for it (over 2k for everything, front panel and unit)..

Anyone might know a dealer or source I can get it for around 500-600? Or even cheaper? Seems like I checked everywhere already..
The following thread has links to damaged Insights. Perhaps you can use the site(s) to find a damaged Insight at a junkyard near you, and strike a deal on stereo -? https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/22-2019-honda-insight-photos-videos/2074-heres-one-didnt-live-long-life.html

·
Registered
143 Posts
I went to a stereo shop that does a lot of custom work and they said they could fit my stereo and make a custom install kit for it but thing that is missing is an interface that will allow me to use steering wheel controls.

I’ve been trying to actually sell my Pioneer stereo but having trouble (maybe because it’s kind of pricey), so I’m kind of thinking about keeping it. The thing I really love about it is it uses a WiFi connection so your audio is better quality than Bluetooth (even the latest version)..and the unit displays Waze directly from your phone to unit screen.

I have this WiFi audio connection on my stereo receiver at home and it is way better than Bluetooth. Almost as good , if not as good, as a wired connection.

It’s one of Pioneers best units at the moment.

Here it is :

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/AVH-W4500NEX

I guess it will just be a waiting game for aftermarket audio accessories (and many other accessories) being released for the 3rd gen Insight.

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
I went to a stereo shop that does a lot of custom work and they said they could fit my stereo and make a custom install kit for it but thing that is missing is an interface that will allow me to use steering wheel controls.

I’ve been trying to actually sell my Pioneer stereo but having trouble (maybe because it’s kind of pricey), so I’m kind of thinking about keeping it. The thing I really love about it is it uses a WiFi connection so your audio is better quality than Bluetooth (even the latest version)..and the unit displays Waze directly from your phone to unit screen.

I have this WiFi audio connection on my stereo receiver at home and it is way better than Bluetooth. Almost as good , if not as good, as a wired connection.

Here it is :

I guess it will just be a waiting game for aftermarket audio accessories (and many other accessories) being released for the 3rd gen Insight.
I'm surprised they don't sell the adapter for your steering wheel controls - they're the same as the Accord's. I had to do that when I replaced the radio in my wife's Hyundai several years ago. That car absolutely sucked and turned me off on the brand for life, but the aftermarket radio was nice.

·
Registered
558 Posts

Here it is :

If it's an lx I have no comment. If you're driving an ex or a touring I think changing the head is going to lead to problems. Until super pros come out and figure out how to make other head units talk properly to the insights computer, I think it's best to leave that part alone. With time and experimentation other items might be able to be added to the current interface once the data lines have been interpreted by smarter folk than us.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts