Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We negotiated a good price on a 2021 EX earlier in the week and signed a contract for it. Assuming we'd have our new car, we've given away our old '09 Civic and are without a car.
Now we are told that it may take about two weeks to get the CO. Evidently due to having furloughed workers,
Honda is behind on their paperwork. Go figure, they can move the cars across the country, but not the paperwork.
This is going to be a long two weeks! Anyone else run into this?
I asked about a loaner car. The dealership offered me an '08 V8 Buick. How does a dealership offer a 12-year-old V-8 to someone buying a compact hybrid?

·
Administrator
4,260 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Is the dealer not able to release the car to you, because the Certificate of Origin is needed to register the car and/or transfer title with DMV? Hopefully your paperwork gets cleared up soon. Was any ETA provided?

Honda did put administrative folks on the production lines, so possible/plausible that your documentation is in backlog. Used cars are also in short supply nationally, so it's a little surprising they didn't offer you something newer from inventory.

Feel free to brag/share your EX pricing in the following thread: EX Pricing :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Insightfully, and thanks for the welcome.
Yes, the dealer is unable to release the car until the paperwork comes in. The ETA is about two weeks. :oops:
Very unexpected.
I'll post the price we got in the pricing thread as you suggest.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
It could be the pandemic or your dealership is playing games... Contact Honda or even another dealership to see what they've to say about waiting 2 weeks for a CO.

·
Administrator
4,260 Posts
I was reading in a Civic forum that Certificate of Origin requirements vary by state (not a federal requirement), so some states (like TX) don't require them at all. But I double checked MA and confirmed that the Certificate of Origin is a requirement for new vehicles in your state. For a minute, I was thinking the dealer might be intentionally delaying your sale to record the transaction in October rather than September...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Can someone explain what the Certificate of Origin is exactly. Don’t think we have anything like that in Canada

·
Administrator
4,260 Posts
Can someone explain what the Certificate of Origin is exactly. Don’t think we have anything like that in Canada
It's like the 'birth certificate' equivalent for the car. It's the manufacturer's confirmation that the car is new and has never previously been registered, and the original/official form is needed (versus copy). It's required documentation in some states (but not a national/federal requirement) to register a new car with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for the new owner to obtain title and registration.

An example of one from a Civic forum is pasted below. The forum mentions it's required in some states but not others and as a sidebar, mentions that among other data, it shows the specific production date (8/30/17 in example below) rather than MM/YY on door jamb sticker. The forum discussion also mentions that the specific build date can also be obtained from American Honda (800-999-1009) vehicle inquiry option and VIN.

It's a little geeky, but I recognize from the first few digits (2HG) of the VIN below that this particular car (Civic SI coupe) was produced in Alliston, Ontario, Canada, even though it's titled under American Honda Motor Company.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Interesting. Never seen one of those before and definitely not a requirement in Ontario Canada

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
I live in MA and I've never see the CO before. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
4,260 Posts
I live in MA and I've never see the CO before. :rolleyes:
That's the thing... in states where the Certificate of Origin is required for new vehicle registration, the owner will never see it because it goes directly from manufacturer to DMV, for the title document to be issued from DMV to owner. I hadn't seen one either until I found the online picture in Civic forum. Only in states where it's not required to file for new car registration, owners are likely to find this among the documentation they receive at purchase... because it didn't need to be filed anywhere else.

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
That's the thing... in states where the Certificate of Origin is required for new vehicle registration, the owner will never see it because it goes directly from manufacturer to DMV, for the title document to be issued from DMV to owner. I hadn't seen one either until I found the online picture in Civic forum. Only in states where it's not required to file for new car registration, owners are likely to find this among the documentation they receive at purchase... because it didn't need to be filed anywhere else.
Okay that make sense now. It would've been nice to see my Insight's birth certificate. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts