Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all!

My tire pressure was fine until I got my car serviced at a Honda dealership (for a tire rotation service too!) and then the low tire pressure light went on. I took it back to the dealer and they "fixed it." I re-callibrated the TPMS so the low pressure warning went off.

A few hours later, the low tire pressure light went on again so a kind man at a gas station helped me fill the air when we realized the tire pressure was low. I re-set the TPMS so the warning would go away.

I was going to go buy an air compressor as I am nervous about having tire issues as I road trip around America.

My friend checked my air pressure and we used the tire repair kit that Honda provides to inflate air only as the tire pressure was still low (I kept it on the air mode, NOT the repair mode). It's hard to get accurate gas station tire pressure readings....

My friend thought I'd be ok just using the tire repair kit as an air compressor and that I didn't need to buy a separate one, but I wanted to get your thoughts. I'm nervous that it might accidentally blow the sealant everywhere instead of just air...

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Think you have to push a button to get the sealant to blow. Pretty sure you can take the cartridge out entirely and still use it. I keep the pump in my car and would use it as a pump if needed. Would never use the goo. Have a tire plug kit and a spare with my tire.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi all!

My tire pressure was fine until I got my car serviced at a Honda dealership (for a tire rotation service too!) and then the low tire pressure light went on. I took it back to the dealer and they "fixed it." A few hours later, the low tire pressure light went on again so a kind man at a gas station helped me fill the air.

I was going to go buy an air compressor as I am nervous about having tire issues as I road trip around America.

I just had a friend check my air pressure and we used the tire repair kit that Honda provides to inflate the air only (I kept it on the air mode, NOT the repair mode).

My friend thought I'd be ok just using the tire repair kit as an air compressor and that I didn't need to buy a separate one, but I wanted to get your thoughts. I'm nervous that it might accidentally blow the sealant everywhere instead of just air...

Thanks for your help!
I use my Honda compressor all the time for this purpose. No need to get a different one. I do suggest you get a simple mechanical pencil tire pressure gauge, keep it in the center console and check the pressure periodically for best tire life and fuel economy. Honda’s tire monitoring system is very simplistic and will only tell you if one tire is at least 5psi lower than the others or if all the tires fall 5 psi or so below the recommended pressure.

Reactions: pc77

·
Registered
574 Posts
I’m out of the sealant and since they don’t sell it anymore, I still keep it in my trunk just as an air compressor just in case I get a flat so I can drive it to the nearest tire shop for possible repair.

A couple of months ago when I had sealant left, I tried to use it on my tire but it had an unrepairable hole which I didn’t know about. America’s tire was about 10-15 miles from me so I ended up using the tire compressor about three or four times on the way to America’s tire. When I got there, I found out that the tire was not repairable, which they repair for free, so I Uber’d home and got my extra tire and Uber’d back and had them fit it on.

Surprisingly, with all the driving that I do, I’ve barely experienced any flat tires. I’m gambling but I’m hoping the next time I get a flat tire, I can just use the aforementioned strategy and take it to a tire shop for repair, assuming they are open.

The back up plan if tire shops are closed is to just park my car in a safe neighborhood and Uber back home and Uber back the next morning to take it to a tire shop when they are open, which I’ve done once.

With 210k miles on my car and only 2-3 flats, I think I’m good without a spare tire.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,205 Posts
Place the kit, face up, on flat ground near
the flat tire, away from traffic. Do not
place the kit on its side.

Make sure the car is running and not just in accessory mode. You don't want to kill the 12v AGM battery while using the air pump.

Do not operate the temporary tire repair kit
compressor for more than 15 minutes. The
compressor can overheat and become permanently
damaged.

Press the pressure relief button until the
gauge returns to 0 psi (0 kPa). <---Do this before you stow the kit after using.

Activate TPMS calibration on the infotainment system after adjusting tire pressure.
You should be good as long as you keep in mind the above while using it.

Reactions: pc77

·
Registered
97 Posts
With the Honda pump supplied with the car, you will need the sealant tank in place even it is is empty. There is a selector on the pump that is used to choose either the sealant or else just air When you choose air, the sealant tank is bypassed but the air passes through a short hose to your tire. The selector valve is part of the sealant tank configuration so you need that tank in place just to be able to access the selector or diverter and the associated hose. As mentionedin the earlier post, it is important to have the car running and in neutral or park mode when the pump is in operation. If you are in accessory mode you risk stressing or depleting the 12 volt AGM battery.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi all!

My tire pressure was fine until I got my car serviced at a Honda dealership (for a tire rotation service too!) and then the low tire pressure light went on. I took it back to the dealer and they "fixed it." A few hours later, the low tire pressure light went on again so a kind man at a gas station helped me fill the air.

I just had a friend check my air pressure and we used the tire repair kit that Honda provides to inflate the air only (I kept it on the air mode, NOT the repair mode).

Thanks for your help!
It could have been they did not recalibrate the tire pressure monitoring system, which in owners manual says to perform when ever you make adjustments to tire pressure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yesterday I just used Insight and its compressor to blow up about 50 balloons for Father's Day + Birthday party. Other than letting the little machine cool down once in a while, it worked like a champ. On the back side of the machine, Honda even included attachments for bicycle, balls and other things. I think you'll be fine using it in the air mode, as we have done in the past a few years.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Insight EX - Platinum White Pearl
78 Posts
As others have said, the Honda inflator will work just fine so there is no need to buy a dedicated inflator. That being said, you should be checking your tire pressure every month, and most tires lose 1-2 psi per month, which means you will probably need to inflate some of your tires each month. I did this for two decades with a typical corded inflator and it was just fine. However, two years ago I decided to splurge on a Milwaukee cordless compact inflator and it was a game changer. No more wrestling the power cord around the vehicle. The small battery lasts a few months of typical use before needing to be charged. No more overfilling the tire, then using my handheld gauge to bleed air until it was in spec. With the Milwaukee, you set the target pressure and hit start and it stops automatically at the right pressure every time. I don't even bother checking the pressure with my handheld gauge first anymore because the Milwaukee's built-in gauge is so much easier to use. I added a quick connect fitting to the hose so I don't even have to screw it onto the valve stem. It made what use to be a necessary chore into an enjoyable task that takes only five minutes a month. I cannot recommend this device highly enough to anyone who wants a little more convenience in their life.

Air chuck quick connector:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Completely agree on the Milwaukee 12 V compressor. I have the same one. Tried others that weren't nearly as useful.

On the Insight, we have nitrogen filled tires, so I don't use it. It works well on our other vehicle, which has 20 inch wheels (275/40 R20 tires).

The good news on the nitrogen filled tires is that they've only needed air once in the three+ years we've had the Insight. And no TPMS errors when transitioning between winter and summer temperatures.

Equally amazing tool is the Milwaukee Fuel 3/8" impact wrench. It takes lug nuts off our vehicles with ease. I tighten them on position 2 on the tool when remounting the Insight wheels. It only takes about a quarter turn with the torque wrench after that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love the idea of a cordless air compressor - I lost so much air after using the Honda tire repair kit as an air compressor when I unscrewed it. Thanks for the wonderful suggestion!

·
Registered
2021 Insight EX
99 Posts
I love the idea of a cordless air compressor - I lost so much air after using the Honda tire repair kit as an air compressor when I unscrewed it. Thanks for the wonderful suggestion!
I fill the tires to about 44 psi and then check to make sure I'm at 40 psi. The 4 psi buffer is about right if I'm as quick as possible unscrewing the hose from the tire. I thought about getting a third-party compressor, but decided I can live just fine with the one that comes with. But I only check the tires a couple of times a year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts