Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My existing power inverter, which was perfect for my 2008 Prius, is pretty much useless in my Insight.

The Prius had a 12V port hidden inside the center console, and my inverter is a bulky blue box that perfectly fits inside that center console, which makes it's 2' cord more than sufficient. However, when I plug it into my Insight, it dangles clumsily in the passenger footwell. :)

So, I'm in the market for a new one. Obviously I need a longer cord. Curious if anyone has found one that integrates into the Insight's cabin well.

(I need it to power my laptop, which unfortunately only supports AC wall chargers. Silly Lenovo...)

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
My existing power inverter, which was perfect for my 2008 Prius, is pretty much useless in my Insight.
[...]
So, I'm in the market for a new one. Obviously I need a longer cord. Curious if anyone has found one that integrates into the Insight's cabin well.
@Insightfu1 mentioned running a 150W inverter (plus dash cam and phone charger) using a 3-in-1 cigarette lighter adapter, and might have a lead on a part/page for the 150W inverter that works with the Insight - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/26178-post10.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been using this inverter in my car when I work certain jobs and often times I could be in my car 8-12 hours. I use this for my laptop, charging my iPhone and AirPods all at once. I have not had problem thus far. This is pretty compact yet durable and I just carry in my backpacks without taking up a lot of room or making the backpack bulky.

BESTEK 300W Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC
Car Inverter with 4.2A Dual USB Car Adapter
$29.99 Amazon

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I've been using this inverter in my car when I work certain jobs and often times I could be in my car 8-12 hours. I use this for my laptop, charging my iPhone and AirPods all at once. I have not had problem thus far. This is pretty compact yet durable and I just carry in my backpacks without taking up a lot of room or making the backpack bulky.
Is it correct to assume your car is running while the inverter is in use? If so, the HV battery would keep the 12V battery charged via DC-to-DC converter (versus alternator). Do you notice any mpg impact after 8-12 hours of inverter use (i.e. less HV battery available for EV)?

·
Registered
51 Posts
You are correct, I am leaving my car running the entire time and did not notice any impact at all for my mpg. My commute is about 145 miles one-way and when I returned home my tank was slightly under half and I avg about 45 mpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I’m in the market for a new power inverter for my car specifically a 2020 Honda Insight. As you know it is a hybrid so I want to know how manny watts on a power inverter can I safely run without damaging my battery engine? I have trouble finding more information on the alternator or what amperage it can handle if I connect a beefy power inverter.
I understand I cannot use it a home generator as is but would be interested to know how much power I can connect to it safely! Connecting a power inverter to battery seems a logical next step but the question now is how many watts can it safely use while the car is on?
Thank you and am looking forward to your reply!
Many cheers,
Alfredo

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I’m in the market for a new power inverter for my car specifically a 2020 Honda Insight. As you know it is a hybrid so I want to know how manny watts on a power inverter can I safely run without damaging my battery engine? I have trouble finding more information on the alternator or what amperage it can handle if I connect a beefy power inverter.
Welcome to the forum. 300W inverter is the highest power mentioned here so far.

·
Registered
194 Posts
No alternator on this car. It uses something called a DC to DC Converter. You can read up on them and be thoroughly confused with "new" technology. I would say you can ask Honda, but their reply will just be "Do Not Do It." As the most common power inverter plugs in to the cigarette lighter ports, I would not go above the fuse rating for those, even if you attach it directly to the battery. The lighter fuse appears to be 20 Amps. So any inverter that draws less than that is a safe bet. If you do not have a sunroof, that system also has a 20 amp fuse. And if you do not have heated seats, each one of those is rated at 20 amps. So there is a possibility of at least 80 amps {960 watts} there that the car is capable of.

Safe? No, by no means would I suggest anything close to that. What are you hoping to power?

·
Registered
2 Posts
No alternator on this car. It uses something called a DC to DC Converter. You can read up on them and be thoroughly confused with "new" technology. I would say you can ask Honda, but their reply will just be "Do Not Do It." As the most common power inverter plugs in to the cigarette lighter ports, I would not go above the fuse rating for those, even if you attach it directly to the battery. The lighter fuse appears to be 20 Amps. So any inverter that draws less than that is a safe bet. If you do not have a sunroof, that system also has a 20 amp fuse. And if you do not have heated seats, each one of those is rated at 20 amps. So there is a possibility of at least 80 amps {960 watts} there that the car is capable of.

Safe? No, by no means would I suggest anything close to that. What are you hoping to power?
I was hoping to power enough for maybe a tailgate event. Given 300w that should be no trouble.
Or it would be interesting if someone managed to use the Insight car work as like a backup home generator..it is a Honda...for example, just enough to keep the refrigerator on so the food won’t spoil after a blackout

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I was hoping to power enough for maybe a tailgate event. Given 300w that should be no trouble.
Or it would be interesting if someone managed to use the Insight car work as like a backup home generator..it is a Honda...for example, just enough to keep the refrigerator on so the food won’t spoil after a blackout
One note is that @BN2LAZY used the 300W inverter with the car fully powered on and running. Running it in accessory mode puts the 12V battery at risk, and the car also limits accessory mode to ~30 minutes max to prevent battery drain.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would not think there would be any issue with a 300 watt inverter. In case you do not know Watts = Amps x Volts. So 300 Watts at 12 Volts is over 20 amps. You would want to buy one that is hard wired in, rather than a plug in version. I would chase it down to where ever on the engine or cabin fuse box the Ign+ {vehicle running} power comes from. Tap into that to actuate a relay that is capable of the 25 amps with a direct lead to the battery to power your inverter. That way there is no chance to drain the battery when the vehicle is not running.

Again, if you do not have heated seats and the wiring is still there. You can use them to to trip the relay. One of these days I will get around to stealing the vehicle's manuals and wiring prints and will be able to be more helpful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts