Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume all Insights have all 4 identical wheels, such that the patterns rotate in the opposite direction depending on whether they are on the left or right side of the car?

I assume this is so you can rotate them in the usual manner. I imagine it's typical of most cars with wheels that have designs that aren't radially symmetric. Or do some cars have two pairs of wheels that can only be rotated side-to-side and front-to-back in pairs so the patterns always rotate the same on all 4 wheels?

I also notice the asymmetric vent under the left headlight and the offset radar in front. Those would have been pretty easy to make them appear more symmetric, though I know some people prefer asymmetry.

·
Super Moderator
4,102 Posts
Yes, all Insights have the same wheel cover on each of the 4 tires, so the 'visual effect' is different from left to right side. Similar comments from EX owner are posted in 'Show Off Your Car' thread, and the Touring pictured in the Gen3Insight header shows the same. It's a 'feature' of mass production, and to me means that the part should be cheaper and easier to swap.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, all Insights have the same wheel cover on each of the 4 tires, so the 'visual effect' is different from left to right side.
I hadn't even noticed until yesterday when I saw another Insight and noticed that the wheels that looked like they were the mirror image of what I thought were on mine. Then I realized it depended on whether I was looking at the left or right side. In fact, I just now noticed it in the header logo image for the forum above lol.

·
Super Moderator
4,102 Posts
I hadn't even noticed until yesterday when I saw another Insight and noticed that the wheels that looked like they were the mirror image of what I thought were on mine. Then I realized it depended on whether I was looking at the left or right side. In fact, I just now noticed it in the header logo image for the forum above lol.
Ha, yes. The way I think of it is that I can only see one side of the car at a time... and at least they look the same direction from that perspective. Would for sure drive me nuts if the 'rotation look' were different from front to back on a single side.

On the topic of the asymmetry due to radar placement, perhaps in the future Honda can place the radar in the center logo (as with some of their other models). However, I think there's measurement benefit by having the radar placed lower and at a different vantage from the camera which is center-ish mounted as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,713 Posts
I kind of like the regular Honda emblem better than the one with radar built-in. Mainly cause the regular emblem has some depth instead of having that flat look to it.

Reactions: PHILBERT

·
Super Moderator
4,102 Posts
I kind of like the regular Honda emblem better than the one with radar built-in. Mainly cause the regular emblem has some depth instead of having that flat look to it.
Yes, agree. I prefer the "genuine" Honda emblem we have on the front of the Insight. There's always a design trade-off of some sort, I guess - asymmetric radar placement, or shiny/plastic radar emblem.

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
I've seen a few people replace their stock emblems with the red, Type-R ones. Not my thing, but if it floats your boat...

Can't do that if it's got radar in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts