Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting idea. Phones tend to have a lot of sound settings that change highs and lows as a normal setting without equalisation. I might try this out of curiosity, however, I find it hard to run the music from my phone without using some app through Android auto. I'd rather have full control using Honda's built in system and I've had trouble in the past doing this. I will look further into it. Another caveat is I'm running about 500 watts and I have the center channel which makes a tremendous amount of difference in sound. Honda's DSP seems intent on pushing all voice and as much highs it can into that center making it blare like a banshee in heat. I listened to an ex model and it was way less intrusive without the dang center channel but much less detailed considering the tweeters were different. I'm hoping the new speakers with sound dampening will help this problem. If not, I can slave off the amp with an audio control unit and maybe sum the center into the left right front speakers using a new amp. The only problem I might run into is the fact the GPS and voice control run through this speaker and by summing it the music volume may not drop enough when the GPS speaks. Sheesh. What a pain.

Final note. You should complain to Honda about your dealer. They sold you a new car with rattles in it. They should darn well fix it!
With Apple car play the music app and podcasting apps give you full control pretty much of everything that you can do with your phone save for searching..

I'm kinda hurt that you think the EX sound system doesn't sound good though lol.. I think it sounds great for a stock sound system. I even drove the Accord with the same 10 speaker system with the center channel and honestly besides being louder, I thought it sounded horrible.. It broke up badly when you did play it loud and like you were saying - they were trying to do too much with the DSP..

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
702 Posts
Interesting idea. Phones tend to have a lot of sound settings that change highs and lows as a normal setting without equalisation. I might try this out of curiosity, however, I find it hard to run the music from my phone without using some app through Android auto. I'd rather have full control using Honda's built in system and I've had trouble in the past doing this. I will look further into it. Another caveat is I'm running about 500 watts and I have the center channel which makes a tremendous amount of difference in sound. Honda's DSP seems intent on pushing all voice and as much highs it can into that center making it blare like a banshee in heat. I listened to an ex model and it was way less intrusive without the dang center channel but much less detailed considering the tweeters were different. I'm hoping the new speakers with sound dampening will help this problem. If not, I can slave off the amp with an audio control unit and maybe sum the center into the left right front speakers using a new amp. The only problem I might run into is the fact the GPS and voice control run through this speaker and by summing it the music volume may not drop enough when the GPS speaks. Sheesh. What a pain.

Final note. You should complain to Honda about your dealer. They sold you a new car with rattles in it. They should darn well fix it!
With Apple car play the music app and podcasting apps give you full control pretty much of everything that you can do with your phone save for searching..

I'm kinda hurt that you think the EX sound system doesn't sound good though lol.. I think it sounds great for a stock sound system. I even drove the Accord with the same 10 speaker system with the center channel and honestly besides being louder, I thought it sounded horrible.. It broke up badly when you did play it loud and like you were saying - they were trying to do too much with the DSP..
I don't think the ex sound system doesn't sound good, I think it has less detail in the sound due to lower end tweeters. Not a diss just an observation. Also from the research I did with the parts people at honda, the insight has a unique amp not used in any other Honda at this point. Not sure what amp set up the Accord is using but based on your observation it sounds like they are using a similar DSP. I need to find out where on my Android phone I should put the music so when I plug it in the Honda sees the music and I can play it right off the phone like on my USB drive. I haven't found an app that works with Android auto that I like, and personally I don't like Android auto's interface.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dude, just about anything is going to improve this system. I heard JBLs are good for high volume without blowing but as far as fidelity is concerned I would try to get on a car stereo forum or do a search on ratings. I'm trying to get my thoughts together and stop coughing for five minutes so I can review the difference I have heard in my system so far with only the front speakers replaced.
I have an EX. The Touring may be better. I've avoided weighing in until now because I didn't have a clear enough impression of the car's stereo and I'm an audiophile owning a VAC tube amp and B&W 802D speakers in my home system, so I'm biased to think all car systems suck.

Even factoring in that bias, the Insight does have a crappy system--worse than the OEM system in my '06 Civic, and worse than the Alpine front/Sony rear aftermarket system in my '93 Civic. The only strong point is the mid-bass but that's not really a compliment as this is the easiest range to get right. The treble is awful and the deep bass is too weak

Reactions: Wasabi

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an EX. The Touring may be better. I've avoided weighing in until now because I didn't have a clear enough impression of the car's stereo and I'm an audiophile owning a VAC tube amp and B&W 802D speakers in my home system, so I'm biased to think all car systems suck.

Even factoring in that bias, the Insight does have a crappy system--worse than the OEM system in my '06 Civic, and worse than the Alpine front/Sony rear aftermarket system in my '93 Civic. The only strong point is the mid-bass but that's not really a compliment as this is the easiest range to get right. The treble is awful and the deep bass is too weak

This might be a base where ignorance is bliss, because I'm not an audiophile, and I came here to say the exact opposite. Had my 2020 Insight EX for a week now, and I'm amazed how good my mp3s sound. It sounds much better to me than what I normally expect from an economy class vehicle with stock speakers.

·
Registered
836 Posts
This might be a base where ignorance is bliss, because I'm not an audiophile, and I came here to say the exact opposite. Had my 2020 Insight EX for a week now, and I'm amazed how good my mp3s sound. It sounds much better to me than what I normally expect from an economy class vehicle with stock speakers.
The EX's base sound system has generally been much more well received by members, than the Touring's. The Insight sound system in any trim is far from perfect, but it seems that the expectations, and overall performance of the EX system has been satisfactory to most.

I'd have to concur, that for radio/satellite/CarPlay etc... at normal volumes the EX is acceptable. Turned up it gets muddy quick, but part of that is due to the speakers actually rattling door panels.

Reactions: odigity

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
702 Posts
The EX's base sound system has generally been much more well received by members, than the Touring's. The Insight sound system in any trim is far from perfect, but it seems that the expectations, and overall performance of the EX system has been satisfactory to most.

I'd have to concur, that for radio/satellite/CarPlay etc... at normal volumes the EX is acceptable. Turned up it gets muddy quick, but part of that is due to the speakers actually rattling door panels.
With the lack of a center speaker that the touring has the ex owners were spared the horrid DSP design implemented in the touring's amp. In the ex you get a more standard sounding system. Consider yourselves lucky.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone removed an EX radio? Looks like the amp is part of the head unit, because there is no amplifier in the passenger kick panel or under the center console.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im considering changing out my harsh sounding tweeters for something a bit more softer. Im also considering swapping the rear speakers which seem useless anyhow for a pair of small 6.5" mid woofers for a little more low end extension , has anyone done so and what are your thoughts on the install / quality in sound ( keeping factory amplifier intact) thanks in advance for any feedback

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,904 Posts
Here are some speaker upgrade discussion threads that might help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts