Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The top 10 vehicles listed below account for ~65% of 2019 new car sales, based on summary from Auto Guide. The #1 model (F-Series) selling 3 times as many cars as the #10 model (Corolla)... and 38 times as many Insights sold in 2019 (23.7k units sold in 2019; 36.2k units sold in 18 months since launch).

The data/ranking includes total sales (including hybrid trim) for listed models; but Insight hybrid sales weren't included with the Civic since sold as different trims (though same platform). - https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2020/01/the-10-best-selling-cars-of-2019-mostly-weren-t-cars.html

10 - Toyota Corolla (305k units)
09 - Honda Civic (326k units)
08 - Toyota Camry (337k units)
07 - Chevy Equinox (346k units)
06 - Nissan Rogue (350k units)
05 - Honda CR-V (384k units)
04 - Toyota RAV4 (448k units)
03 - Chevy Silverado (576k units)
02 - Ram Pickup (634k units)
01 - Ford F-Series (897k units) --> 43rd year as 'best selling truck' and 38th year as 'top selling vehicle'

·
Super Moderator
1,243 Posts
I'm surprised to see the Nissan Rogue beat the Civic.

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm surprised to see the Nissan Rogue beat the Civic.
I think fleet sales have something to do the Rogue's extra sales volume. I see Nissan Rogues (and other domestic small SUV models listed below) constantly available at car rental places.

And if it weren't a 'between' year for the Civic (almost 4 years since 2016 Civic release date), I think the Civic may have beat the Camry, Equinox, and Rogue handily. I was surprised the Accord didn't make the list; but I think it's gotten to be too big/boat-like a car.

Only 3 sedans made the list, and the bottom 3 positions at that and 'only' ~21% of total sales on the list.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Look at all those gas guzzlers of 1, 2, and 3. . .

'nuff said. (Okay, if you're working construction and needing a truck that's one thing. But you see most of those big honkers in Denver that never see mud).

·
Super Moderator
2,712 Posts
Look at all those gas guzzlers of 1, 2, and 3. . .

'nuff said. (Okay, if you're working construction and needing a truck that's one thing. But you see most of those big honkers in Denver that never see mud).
The newer trucks don't gas guzzle as much and the fuel economy numbers are comparable to mid-full size SUVs now.

I would consider going for a truck if I was shopping for a mid-full size SUV. The bed of a truck is a great place to toss stinky and dirty items you don't want inside the vehicle. It's also easier to clean by just hosing it down. The safety aspect of being a bigger and heavier vehicle on the road is another benefit. Most guys would go for a truck due to SUVs being driven by so many soccer moms now. :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts