Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone able to get auto-headlights/ auto-highbeams to work? Specifically, I am asking if you are able to get the system to automatically fluctuate between low and high beams? I know there are a lot of caveats with the system, however, even on a very dark road, no cars coming and with auto on, the system does not power up the high beams!!!???

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is anyone able to get auto-headlights/ auto-highbeams to work? Specifically, I am asking if you are able to get the system to automatically fluctuate between low and high beams? I know there are a lot of caveats with the system, however, even on a very dark road, no cars coming and with auto on, the system does not power up the high beams!!!???

Works great on mine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
455 Posts
Goldy, thanks for the instructions. I did previously read them and yet have not found the system to automatically change to/from low-high beams. Will have to try on different roads to see if it adjusts at all...
I was thinking maybe they were somehow disabled...like in the third attachment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Goldy, thanks for the instructions. I did previously read them and yet have not found the system to automatically change to/from low-high beams. Will have to try on different roads to see if it adjusts at all...
One thing that's not quite clear and I discovered by accident, is that if you manually activate the high beams while on auto, you will need to pull the lever toward you to put it back into auto mode. Give that a shot. Mine "stopped working" for about 15 minutes until I figured this out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Suddenly find out When drive at night time ,the auto high beam indicator is no more show up on the dash , used to show up when head light on at night . My head light switch is always on auto .I try to holding the switch 30s to active the function just like Honda says . The indicator flash once, which should be turn on the auto high beam function. But still no indicator pop out when outside is dark . By the way my auto low beam is working fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have to toggle my switch back like I am going to flash my high beams at someone, then the indicator on the dash will show that the auto brights are on to the left of the auto head lamps indicator. I turn mine on and off often because on some of the roads I drive with curves I think they are on and off in weird spots. I always just use the stalk like I am flashing someone and it turns the auto brights on and off.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I suppose you tried disabling the system (on purpose), then re-enabling it? It might just need to cycle.

Here's the relevant page of the manual, for anyone reading. Fun fact: if you manually engage the high beams, the auto high beam system turns off until you reactivate it. I suppose that way the beams don't automatically turn themselves off when you've commanded them to be on...

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
LED headlights offer great illumination - but the cost of replacing a burned out LED headlight can be considerable...I have not found any estimates for the 2019 Insight but, WITH LABOR, I have seen other cars having the replacement cost being $200 or even much higher. It's likely the Insight headlight cluster with all the bulbs in it is actually a single integrated unit (one bulb goes, all have to be replaced).

What shortens the life of LED bulbs is actually turning them off and on repeatedly (true, for even the bulbs used in household use). It seems to me that a lot of cars I see at night with only one headlight operating are disproportionately those cars with LED headlights. You would think these LED headlights would be engineered to last the lifetime of the car, but apparently this is not always the case.

Drive safe, but something to think about with this automatic on-off high beam feature. I would also be interested to know if anybody has any idea how difficult/expensive it is to replace the headlight bulbs in this car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So glad to have this forum to ask questions. You guys are so knowledgeable! Here's one for you: My auto high beams have all of a sudden stopped working. They were doing a great job in the beginning, but now will not automatically sense when they should go on and off and I have to do it manually. Do you think I inadvertently turned the option off somehow?

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
You may have inadvertently disabled the system. Try re-enabling the auto high beam operation by pulling the lever toward you and holding for ~30 seconds until the auto high beam indicator on the driver's information interface display blinks once.

Also, the auto high beams can be turned off temporarily manually when the lever is pulled forward to a click sound/point or when the high beams are flashed. Repeating the step reverses the setting to restore the auto functionality.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Look for the A symbol on the dash that indicates you are in Auto Mode. What is not obvious, is this symbol does not show all the time. You must be be in condition to have the head lights on for the indicator to show. Meaning, you won't see it during the day, you must wait for dark for the indicator to show up.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
I know the auto high beams sometimes don’t work right when going around curves, which makes sense as the camera is in a fixed location. But has anyone encountered their high beams turning on despite being only 1-2 car lengths behind another car?? I was behind a white Jaguar F type coupe and the high beam went on and then went off when a car came from the opposite direction. I was hoping it was a fluke but it did it again a minute later so of course the Jag driver thought I was irritated with him going slow so he put on the brakes and came to a complete stop in the middle of the road. Since it was my stupid car that caused him to wig out, I didn’t honk but I really wanted him to say something so I could make him feel stupid for being a jerk when I didn’t do it on purpose. I don’t understand why the camera couldn’t see his car, but inadvertent high beam flashing could become dangerous with the wrong person.

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
Haven't had this happen since I run my headlights in manual (and maybe this run-in example is another reason why?), but can see how auto high beams could lead to road rage issues with the wrong person.

Were any of the following maybe at play to cause the auto high beams to flash:
  • Following Jaguar too close (blocking camera visibility to detect oncoming car/headlights)
  • Bright street lights (preventing camera from fully detecting change in lighting level)
  • Jaguar tail lights too dim (or too bright) to be detected by camera
  • Bumpy road (changing camera detection angle)
  • Windshield area in front of camera dirty

·
Super Moderator
2,712 Posts
I know the auto high beams sometimes don’t work right when going around curves, which makes sense as the camera is in a fixed location. But has anyone encountered their high beams turning on despite being only 1-2 car lengths behind another car?? I was behind a white Jaguar F type coupe and the high beam went on and then went off when a car came from the opposite direction. I was hoping it was a fluke but it did it again a minute later so of course the Jag driver thought I was irritated with him going slow so he put on the brakes and came to a complete stop in the middle of the road. Since it was my stupid car that caused him to wig out, I didn’t honk but I really wanted him to say something so I could make him feel stupid for being a jerk when I didn’t do it on purpose. I don’t understand why the camera couldn’t see his car, but inadvertent high beam flashing could become dangerous with the wrong person.
Your Insight seems to like to start trouble with you(water dripping on you) and now other cars. :wink:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Haven't had this happen since I run my headlights in manual (and maybe this run-in example is another reason why?), but can see how auto high beams could lead to road rage issues with the wrong person.

Were any of the following maybe at play to cause the auto high beams to flash:
  • Following Jaguar too close (blocking camera visibility to detect oncoming car/headlights)
  • Bright street lights (preventing camera from fully detecting change in lighting level)
  • Jaguar tail lights too dim (or too bright) to be detected by camera
  • Bumpy road (changing camera detection angle)
  • Windshield area in front of camera dirty
I wondered if I was too close so when they turned on, I backed off (also so the driver wouldn’t think I was intentionally blinding him) but the lights stayed on until an oncoming car made them dim. The Jag had LED strip taillights, similar to the Insight, so they definitely weren’t too dim or bright. The road has bumps but not where the incident occurred. Windshield was decently clear. There are street lights but they aren’t that bright as large trees shade most of it. I’m almost wondering if the white color of his car maybe blinded the camera. The bad thing about the incident was there was no escape if he wanted to get physical as the road is temporarily altered so there was a curb and grass on one side and a raised barrier on the other. I was stuck behind him.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The only problem I have ever had with my auto brights is them getting stuck in bright mode and that has only happened twice. If no ideas before this answers the question then i'd say either you have a real problem, or like my ACC problem that I always talk about, you have run into a scenario where there might be a logic failure or limitation in the system. If they can't reproduce the problem at the dealer they won't likely help you. I've shown nearly 20 minutes of video footage of fails and Honda doesn't care about it. If it doesn't happen with their dealers then it's not a problem.

Car freak you amaze me. Not only is your insight hacking lougies at you, but it's also trying to get your butt kicked by a pissed off jag owner. If I were you, I'd reconsider complaining about the car's failings anymore and give your baby a massaging handwash while whispering sweet nothings in her ear with some Rachmaninoff playing in the background. 🤪

1 - 20 of 27 Posts