Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Touring come with the auto day/night mirror?

I was thinking of putting this in my EX. I haven't had one in years, but always enjoyed it. You can even get some older models with a compass on the mirror since there is no easy way to show a compass on the car unless you use the ENTIRE infotainment screen. :sad:

The wiring harness is pretty cheap and you can pick up the mirrors and mounts on eBay for very little, especially compared to what Honda wants. Might have to fiddle with the wiring connector since Honda seems to have a proprietary one, but it's only various forms of power.

Anyone put one of these in?

Matthew

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Does the Touring come with the auto day/night mirror?

I was thinking of putting this in my EX. I haven't had one in years, but always enjoyed it. You can even get some older models with a compass on the mirror since there is no easy way to show a compass on the car unless you use the ENTIRE infotainment screen. :sad:

The wiring harness is pretty cheap and you can pick up the mirrors and mounts on eBay for very little, especially compared to what Honda wants. Might have to fiddle with the wiring connector since Honda seems to have a proprietary one, but it's only various forms of power
The Touring comes with the auto day/night mirror with homelink. @Wifey'sInsight was looking at installing, per this thread: https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/470-must-have-accessories-ones-new-buy-not-8.html#post15546

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are all the features of the auto-dim other than auto dimming? I see homelink. Does it have the compass in the mirror? Anything else fancy?

I saw that thread where the option was mentioned, but could not determine if anyone had actually done it.

I tell you, the wiring diagrams are basically non-existent for the 2019 Insight! I'm trying to work out the harness wiring for the auto-dimming mirror and it's nuts! We have this handy 4 pin "accessory port" with no pinout whatsoever. It's only 4 pins and I'm guessing they are all forms of power, but an actual pinout would be great.

Then another connects inline to the fuel door handle. I think that one is getting the always on 12v, but it also has a fully populated 4 wire connector.

Somehow these 8 wires plus a ground slim down to 6 by the time they get to the mirror. I know there's a ground, always +12, ignition +12 on the mirror, but can't figure out what the other two wires would be for.

Incidentally, all this wiring diagram stuff is because I want a slightly different mirror than the one that comes in the kit, so I need do rewire a new connector. :)

Matthew

·
Registered
836 Posts
I plan on eventually doing the OEM mirror swap, if I come across wiring diagrams, I'll do what I can to post them on here when I get the chance.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
What are all the features of the auto-dim other than auto dimming? I see homelink. Does it have the compass in the mirror? Anything else fancy?
Not much else included beyond the auto-dimming and homelink features for the Insight OEM mirror upgrade.

I tell you, the wiring diagrams are basically non-existent for the 2019 Insight! I'm trying to work out the harness wiring for the auto-dimming mirror and it's nuts! We have this handy 4 pin "accessory port" with no pinout whatsoever. It's only 4 pins and I'm guessing they are all forms of power, but an actual pinout would be great.
I know it's a little 'riskier' but perhaps 2016+ Civic diagrams would be easier to come by, and related to the Insight platform? The part number for the Insight is different from the Civic, but I think that relates to the type of attachment rather than the mirror/wiring itself.

This video shows install in a 2017 Civic: youtube.com/watch?v=UtzsjRtb7mk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all. Sorry for my delay in replying. Things got a bit nuts around here.

So I bought an auto-dim from eBay, but ran into a mechanical issue that stopped me. Apparently that housing that covers the front camera causes the mirror mounting post to be longer than a 'regular' one. So once I mounted the mirror (didn't even get to the electrical yet) and put the camera cover back on, the mirror would hardly adjust. So it looks like you need to find one out of a car that also has the camera cover. At this point I might wait for one of the 2019 models that has the actual mirror I need to get squished and grab one from the junkyard. Then I don't have to worry about sizes, pinouts, etc. :(

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hi all. Sorry for my delay in replying. Things got a bit nuts around here.

So I bought an auto-dim from eBay, but ran into a mechanical issue that stopped me. Apparently that housing that covers the front camera causes the mirror mounting post to be longer than a 'regular' one. So once I mounted the mirror (didn't even get to the electrical yet) and put the camera cover back on, the mirror would hardly adjust. So it looks like you need to find one out of a car that also has the camera cover. At this point I might wait for one of the 2019 models that has the actual mirror I need to get squished and grab one from the junkyard. Then I don't have to worry about sizes, pinouts, etc. [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Out of curiosity did you get the adapter that Honda sells as part of the auto dimming mirror? I know there is an adapter part you're suppose to buy to connect Honda's auto dimming mirror, I wonder if that'll help your problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm I am not aware of such an adapter. The Honda guys told me there were two things to buy: the wire (with associated stickeys, ties, etc.), and the mirror. And that's it.

I'm on the trail of a mirror out of a squished Touring now, so I might be back in business. haha

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Hmmm I am not aware of such an adapter. The Honda guys told me there were two things to buy: the wire (with associated stickeys, ties, etc.), and the mirror. And that's it.

I'm on the trail of a mirror out of a squished Touring now, so I might be back in business. haha
See attached from College Hills Honda showing attachment kit being needed for LX/EX.

If you can't find a squished Touring, the attachment should be available for purchase.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
The mirror tip definitely helps those who are looking to buy/find as spare parts from more 'common' cars! However I think OP bought a mirror (post #6) and had difficulty attaching. The attachment kit part listings seem to vary by model, so might be worth double checking/measuring the attachment length/placement in a Touring Civic vs Touring Insight at a dealer to confirm -?

·
Registered
455 Posts
The mirror tip definitely helps those who are looking to buy/find as spare parts from more 'common' cars! However I think OP bought a mirror (post #6) and had difficulty attaching. The attachment kit part listings seem to vary by model, so might be worth double checking/measuring the attachment length/placement in a Touring Civic vs Touring Insight at a dealer to confirm -?
OP is now searching for an OEM mirror from a salvage yard. He already knows he needs the wiring harness too. I’m not sure what this kit thing is all about. Do you have a part number for it?

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
OP is now searching for an OEM mirror from a salvage yard. He already knows he needs the wiring harness too. I’m not sure what this kit thing is all about. Do you have a part number for it?
Attachment piece/kit looks to be bundled with the model-specific part number. Post #9 file attachment includes Insight example. Other models are listed and attached here:

Insight = Part # 76400-TXM (attachment 1)
Civic = Part # 08V03-TBA (attachment 2)
HR-V = Part # 08V03-HRV (attachment 3)
Accord / Fit / Odyssey = Part # 76400-THR-A01 (attachment 4)

The Civic version offers a 'standard' or 'homelink' attachment kit. The first few numbers of the Civic and HRV part numbers are similar, but different from the Insight's. The leading digits of the Insight's part number are close to the Accord. The Accord, Fit, and Odyssey are listed under the same part number but different attachment kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
Attachment piece/kit looks to be bundled with the model-specific part number. Post #9 file attachment includes Insight example. Other models are listed and attached here:

The Civic version offers a 'standard' or 'homelink' attachment kit. The first few numbers of the Civic and HRV part numbers are similar, but different from the Insight's. The leading digits of the Insight's part number are close to the Accord. The Accord, Fit, and Odyssey are listed under the same part number but different attachment kit.
If only we had a Honda parts guy on here with access to the actual parts to allow us to measure and figure out the differences.

As far as different attachment kits, it's probably slightly different to clear the camera housings and the different angle of the windshield.

·
Registered
455 Posts

The Civic version offers a 'standard' or 'homelink' attachment kit. The first few numbers of the Civic and HRV part numbers are similar, but different from the Insight's. The leading digits of the Insight's part number are close to the Accord. The Accord, Fit, and Odyssey are listed under the same part number but different attachment kit.[/QUOTE
Wiring harnesses.
03DF97E3-1298-47DE-8AB3-25E24008E4F9.jpg B4E7BCFA-BADC-41DD-8B6C-EC5AA67D4BA4.jpg 6A34B35C-465F-473E-A460-009F61E9F614.jpg 526E1D4A-6712-43AF-8553-34109B3A7826.jpg E0F64062-016D-4FAD-A605-D5B1EAA48364.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, the "kit" IS the wiring harness plus some crap. I already have that part. When we started talking attachment I was thinking a physical adapter.

I found a Touring, it even happens to be my color (which doesn't matter), in Seattle. $100 for the mirror. So I'm happy. The only thing I won't have is the compass on it. But I'll live.

I'll let you know how the install goes once it arrives.

Matthew

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi all. Last update on this topic.

Over the 4th weekend I installed this. The unit that came from the junk yard came not only with the mirror, but the wire cover, the base of the housing (that sticks to the window), the little mirror housing cover, an extra camera unit, and the rain sensor for automatic wipers! I didn't need all of that, but still....

The install of the physical mirror took all of 2 seconds, as expected. The wire harness took a while just because it was hotter than crap and there were a TON of panels to take off. But all in all it was fine. Took me about a total of 2 hours because I was a little scared of prying off the panels. But all went well.

I encourage anyone interested to give it a go. It's not difficult at all.

Matthew

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought and put on the genuine Honda branded auto-dimming mirror just after I bought the car. First I must say the install was a major PIA (Pain In the a$$). The install was about 4 hours and involved removing way more of the car interior then I ever thought a mirror install would take. You can find the instructions online. Take a look at them and you'll see what I am talking about.

The two worst issues with this mirror is that it has a 1/4 border all around the perimeter of the mirror that does not dim. So at night when a car/truck is going by you or you are going by them you get blinded while the reflection is in that 1/4" border. The second issue is the garage door opener signal is so weak I have to be about 25 feet from my garage door and have the front of the car facing the door for the opener to operate the door. If I am backed into my driveway it will not open the door at all. The signal is ridiculously week.

I do not in any way recommend this accessory to anyone. Save your time and money.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts