Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone in my family inadvertently enabled a "hidden" feature over the weekend. I couldn't find anything about it in the Owner's Guide or the first few pages of a google search. Ultimately, I found the answer on a video for the CR-V. I came back here and used the advanced forum search and found one reference to it on an older thread.

I'm hoping creating it's own thread will boost search engine rankings for anyone else who might be searching for this information. Perhaps it applies to the Honda Civic as well? Anyway, if your parking brake comes on by itself when you power off the car, you've gotten into the automatic mode. You can use these steps to enable/disable:

Here is the older thread, thanks @insightfully . I wish I had come here and used the advanced forum built-in search first, because the Google Custom Search didn't pick it up on the first few pages of results anyway. The other very useful thing I learned in my quest to disable this feature is that Honda apparently only supplies us with a 142 page printed Owner's Guide. The full 600+ page Owners Manual is online and contains this helpful information. The stuff I received with the Owner's Guide didn't even mention that a longer manual existed. You can get a free printed copy for the first owner within 6 months of purchase by going into your account at owners.honda.com, then "Vehicle Info" tab, Owners's Manual Link. Then either choose the pdf format or scroll down to order the print version if you prefer.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
In case it helps streamline, below are two direct link options for ordering printed materials from Honda for the 2019 Insight:
HONDA Insight Owners Site
HELM Honda Insight 2019

ALSO... if you end up using the 'one button shutdown' method which includes automatic parking brake activation, please remember to deactivate it before going through an automated conveyor car wash (attached).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
My manuals showed up in the mail several months ago. I filed them away since I still use the PDF version as it's searchable.

I've had my parking brake set to auto-engage for a few months now. The only downside is the brief delay before it engages. I need to hold my foot on the brake until it does or the car will roll slightly on my sloped driveway. I try to set the brake myself before I turn off the car, but, if I forget, the Insight does it for me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Why does there need to be parking brake button?

The parking brake is electronically activated and the car's drive wheels are driven by the electric motor at low speed. Why is there a need to place the car into drive but not deactivate the parking brake? Why not eliminate the parking brake button, have it activate and deactivate automatically when selecting PRND, and simplify driving?

Your foot already has to be on the brake pedal anyways to gear select, so the car is already stationary.

I'm curious if the Clarity EV requires this... I will try to check one out today. My Model 3 has combined automatic parking brake operation into the gear selection and it's fabulously simplifying.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
The Clarity Owners Manual shows that it has a parking brake as well, which operates in same way. My guess is that the parking brake is separate system because it needs to hold the car in place when the car is powered off.

There is an option to activate "one button shutdown" which automatically activates the parking brake when the car is powered off. Try these steps if interested in checking it out.

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
I have one-button shutdown enabled on my Insight. I do disable it in the winter if I need to park outside when it's very cold (a rarity since I have a garage though). I've had brakes freeze on past cars.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
I have one-button shutdown enabled on my Insight. I do disable it in the winter if I need to park outside when it's very cold (a rarity since I have a garage though). I've had brakes freeze on past cars.
To clarify - do you not use the parking brake at all when it's cold outside, to prevent freezing? Or do you choose to activate it manually so you can see/monitor whether it's engaged/dis-engaged in cold weather?

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
To clarify - do you not use the parking brake at all when it's cold outside, to prevent freezing? Or do you choose to activate it manually so you can see/monitor whether it's engaged/dis-engaged in cold weather?
Good question. I leave it set to automatically engage year 'round. If I'm parking outside in cold weather, I'll shut the car down and then disengage the parking brake. It's a rarity I need to do this, but it supports the need for a parking brake button as there are times you'd need to override it - such as cold weather. Another reason would be when you're performing brake work!

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
The parking brake is electronically activated and the car's drive wheels are driven by the electric motor at low speed. Why is there a need to place the car into drive but not deactivate the parking brake? Why not eliminate the parking brake button, have it activate and deactivate automatically when selecting PRND, and simplify driving?

Your foot already has to be on the brake pedal anyways to gear select, so the car is already stationary.

I'm curious if the Clarity EV requires this... I will try to check one out today. My Model 3 has combined automatic parking brake operation into the gear selection and it's fabulously simplifying.
The parking brake button can be use to stop the car in an emergency[If you pull up and hold the electric parking brake switch while driving, the brakes on all four wheels are applied by the electric servo brake system until the vehicle comes to a stop. The electric parking brake then applies, and the switch should be released.] and for situations where you want to park the car but not automatically engage the parking brake(like extremely cold weather).

You can have the parking brake activate/deactivate automatically by following the above instructions. I go through the car wash frequently so I have mine off.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Good question. I leave it set to automatically engage year 'round. If I'm parking outside in cold weather, I'll shut the car down and then disengage the parking brake. It's a rarity I need to do this, but it supports the need for a parking brake button as there are times you'd need to override it - such as cold weather. Another reason would be when you're performing brake work!
Good call. Is there a temperature threshold you personally use as a guideline? Or is it generally your practice any time parked outside in below-freezing weather? Another potential instance to override the parking brake is if/when being towed (hopefully also a rarity).

Semi-related, I also found this separate/random nugget in the manual, which I wasn't aware of (p636):
"If you repeatedly operate the electric parking brake in a short period of time, the brake stops operating to prevent heating of the system and the indicator blinks. It returns to its original state in approximately 1 minute."​
So if you're in an emergency situation and trying to slow the car with the parking brake, pull up and hold the electric parking brake switch and never try to pump it several times because it responds differently from a handbrake.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The parking brake button can be use to stop the car in an emergency[If you pull up and hold the electric parking brake switch while driving, the brakes on all four wheels are applied by the electric servo brake system until the vehicle comes to a stop. The electric parking brake then applies, and the switch should be released.] and for situations where you want to park the car but not automatically engage the parking brake(like extremely cold weather).

You can have the parking brake activate/deactivate automatically by following the above instructions. I go through the car wash frequently so I have mine off.
Fascinating! Had no idea you could hold the parking brake up to slow the car in an emergency. Thanks for that tidbit. I wonder if the brake lights illuminate in that condition?

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Fascinating! Had no idea you could hold the parking brake up to slow the car in an emergency. Thanks for that tidbit. I wonder if the brake lights illuminate in that condition?
Ha, yes. Pretty cool and came up in this prior thread on "How Do You Stop Your Insight." As with 'old school' manual parking brakes, I haven't seen the brake lights illuminate when the parking brake is activated by one-button shutdown. However, when the parking brake is held up and used for emergencies, I believe the lights activate since it's triggering all the braking systems (ABS, servo, 4 wheels, etc). I haven't had a chance to try the 'emergency' version, so I'll take it on faith that it lights up unless/until someone tries it.

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
Ha, yes. Pretty cool and came up in this prior thread on "How Do You Stop Your Insight." As with 'old school' manual parking brakes, I haven't seen the brake lights illuminate when the parking brake is activated by one-button shutdown. However, when the parking brake is held up and used for emergencies, I believe the lights activate since it's triggering all the braking systems (ABS, servo, 4 wheels, etc). I haven't had a chance to try the 'emergency' version, so I'll take it on faith that it lights up unless/until someone tries it.
As a new moderator within this forum, I believe it is my place to remind everyone that "double-dog dares" are not considered appropriate in this scenario.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
As a new moderator within this forum, I believe it is my place to remind everyone that "double-dog dares" are not considered appropriate in this scenario.
LOL, good point! Didn't intend to encourage trying the 'emergency version' just to answer the question of whether the rear brake lights come on. Stay safe, everyone!

·
Registered
71 Posts

Kudus for digging that out. To Honda though, that is an extremely obscure procedure. With the menu operated screens of Insight, why not just make that a menu option?

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Kudus for digging that out. To Honda though, that is an extremely obscure procedure. With the menu operated screens of Insight, why not just make that a menu option?
LOL - Honda could've also saved a page or two in the description, since we summarized it into 4 simpler steps that we summarized in the forum:

Activate "automatic parking brake" with one-time setup by pulling up the parking brake 3 times and listening for beeps:
  1. start with car ON and transmission in Park
  2. pull up the Parking Brake and release (as normal)
  3. pull up and HOLD the parking brake again, then release when you hear beeping
  4. pull up and HOLD the parking brake a third time, then release when you hear two beeps (automatic system "on")

If you turn this automatic parking brake feature on, you can have a "ONE BUTTON SHUTDOWN" procedure if you wanted to... by just hitting the POWER button. It takes advantage of two "features" for the car:
- Pressing the POWER OFF button automatically puts the car into Park as a safety feature
- Automatic parking brake gets added to the POWER OFF process if the steps above are used​

·
Registered
5 Posts
How do I set parking break to automatically engage

I've seen reference here to setting the Insight parking brake to automatically engage when the car is in park. How do I do that?

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
As an add/reminder... once you set up the automatic parking brake feature, you can technically shut down your Insight in a single step, by just pressing the "POWER" button to turn off.
- car will automatically shift to PARK (default feature)
- parking brake will automatically engage (activated feature)

And on the flip side, when you are ready to drive, tapping the gas pedal (after driver's seat belt is fastened) will automatically turn the parking brake off (default feature). The parking brake becomes an almost obsolete step overall!

As @hasarad cautions above, there's a slight lag in the automatic parking brake engaging, so be sure to keep your foot on the brake until you see/hear/feel the feature engage to avoid rolling forward unintentionally.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts