Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know any tricks or tips of being able to have the sideview mirror automatically adjust when putting car in reverse. I know some newer cars have the capability of the sideview mirrors automatically lowering or adjusting when the vehicle is put into reverse. I just find that very useful especially when close to a raise curb edge to avoids scraping the wheel. If you know how this can be done please share. I have the 2019 Insight Hybrid Touring. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,963 Posts
The way it works on other Honda models that offer it is to adjust the side mirror switch to left or right depending on which side you want tilted down and put the car in reverse.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,963 Posts
yeah too bad it doesn't work with our cars...nice feature to have
I figure we didn't have it cause the owner's manual doesn't talk about it. :( I've got use to judging how far I am from the curb with the reverse cam lines.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Among Honda's current US sedan line-up, the "Passenger-Side Reverse Gear Tilt-Down" side mirrors are standard on only the GenX Accord Touring trim.

Aside from the Accord Touring, it's mostly Honda's larger models (like the Odyssey and Pilot higher trim levels) that offer the feature... but these could be leads for you on domestic OEM implementations to look at stealing/reapplying to the Insight.

Some other (farther-fetched) potential reapplications (?):
The UK Civic Type R might be the closest "design relative" to the Insight... if you can find info on it or parts. I tried a quick UK search and didn't find much more detail on it than the post listed above. Unfortunately, the current domestic Civic Type R doesn't seem to have this feature.

ADD: Also just did a quick check on Acura sedans... the ILX (lowest model) sedan doesn't have it, but the TLX (mid-tier) and RLX (upper tier) sedans offer the "reverse gear tilt down" as a standard feature.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think the reverse tilt feature usually comes tied with programmable-memory-seats. That way, the car knows which position to return the mirror to after shifting away from R.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think the reverse tilt feature usually comes tied with programmable-memory-seats. That way, the car knows which position to return the mirror to after shifting away from R.
Going by these 2 GenX Accord owners, the memory settings don't include the mirror tilt down function. So there might be an outside chance of reapplying to Insight without memory function (?).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts