Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

"B" Service...is it necessary?

10K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Carfreak09 
#1 ·
Coming due soon for a B1 service. Looks like the added things covered (vs A) are much the same as the free multi-point inspection many dealers do already (inc. mine). Is there really any reason to have them do the B service?

#2 ·
I'm a purist and plan to follow service recommended by the maintenance minder progression... plus following these are a 'requirement' for those of us with lifetime warranties.

The additional checks for B service over A service, are most notably for brakes, suspension, and fuel components. This dealer lists what they check, and seems to lack suspension and driveshaft/gearbox inspection.

B service is more pricy than A service, so there is also a prior brief discussion in the following thread on using independent mechanics for B service. - Maintenance at dealership vs independent mechanic

#3 ·
I'm with @insightfully... Vehicle maintenance history is the most important part of ownership. Being that most like you're only having your Insight serviced once per year (depending on your driving habits) its not terrible to have your vehicle service expanded to check all important areas.

My wife's Highlander gets a Winter Prep service (We live in sub zero Canuckistan prairie country, where winters are usually -40 degree Celcius) every fall. Do we "need" it... No, but I like making sure its ready to roll in the harsh weather and operating conditions

#4 ·
I always did just oil change and tire rotation on my previous vehicles(Honda Civic & Ford Fusion). I plan on doing the same for the Insight at least until I'm closing in on my 3 year warranty. That's when I'm going to ask them to do a B1. After that back to oil change and tire rotation. I will do the transmission fluid, brake fluid, coolant, and spark plugs according to the maintenance schedule. Cabin & Engine Air Filter I check them and replace myself.

#5 ·
Did your prior Honda have maintenance minder? I'd imagine it's a hard sell to convince dealer to do anything other than what's listed by the car, and I wonder if they'll refuse (?). The reminder sticker they put on my windshield after last service basically has interval of "next MM recommendation." My older Hondas didn't have the MM, so any type of service felt like a choice/option.

#15 ·
I've always done my own work wherever possible. Since I pull my tires to rotate them every 5K miles, I pretty much have a rolling 'B' schedule going more often than required. I check all suspension components at that time. When doing oil changes, I do all other inspections while under the car. Fluids and other under-the-hood checks are done monthly. I document everything in Fuelly.com, so I have a record of when it was done.

#19 ·
to close the loop on this one, since I posed the original question, I did tell the dealer to just do the oil/filter and multipoint since there really is nothing else in B not already covered in multipoint; I don't need a tire rotation since I will be putting on my winter tires soon. Cost out the door $47 and dealer had no qualms about not doing B.

#20 ·
I normally let the dealer reset the Maintenance Minder / indicators. Did you reset your Maintenance Minder before service so it didn't show need for B service... or does it just not matter? Do you get a checklist of items that are included in multi-point inspection? When I brought my car in, the person next to me was also in for B service. But I can't state enough how overpriced it was.

#21 ·
This A or B thing is a bunch of nonsense. It was designed for those who know absolutely nothing about what their car may need. I’ve never mentioned either when going in (3 times so far). I just say, give me an oil and filter change and rotate my tires. They say we have a coupon for that and I’m like great! Simple as that. The dealer didn’t mention my car clearly said maintenance B either.

As far as the B service goes, it’s a way for the dealer to pad their coffers. Do you really think a tech is crawling all around your vehicle inspecting everything when there is a line of 30 cars behind yours?? The most these guys do is look for obvious leaks (which you would know by stains under the car or low fluid warnings), check the depth of your tire tread (which anyone with an eye can do for themselves), and perhaps check the width of the brake pad (easily done during the wheel rotation). Are these checks worth more money when all of these things are checked under the “free” multi inspection??? Most definitely NOT!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.