Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming due soon for a B1 service. Looks like the added things covered (vs A) are much the same as the free multi-point inspection many dealers do already (inc. mine). Is there really any reason to have them do the B service?

·
Administrator
4,247 Posts
I'm a purist and plan to follow service recommended by the maintenance minder progression... plus following these are a 'requirement' for those of us with lifetime warranties.

The additional checks for B service over A service, are most notably for brakes, suspension, and fuel components. This dealer lists what they check, and seems to lack suspension and driveshaft/gearbox inspection.

B service is more pricy than A service, so there is also a prior brief discussion in the following thread on using independent mechanics for B service. - Maintenance at dealership vs independent mechanic

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm with @insightfully... Vehicle maintenance history is the most important part of ownership. Being that most like you're only having your Insight serviced once per year (depending on your driving habits) its not terrible to have your vehicle service expanded to check all important areas.

My wife's Highlander gets a Winter Prep service (We live in sub zero Canuckistan prairie country, where winters are usually -40 degree Celcius) every fall. Do we "need" it... No, but I like making sure its ready to roll in the harsh weather and operating conditions

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
I always did just oil change and tire rotation on my previous vehicles(Honda Civic & Ford Fusion). I plan on doing the same for the Insight at least until I'm closing in on my 3 year warranty. That's when I'm going to ask them to do a B1. After that back to oil change and tire rotation. I will do the transmission fluid, brake fluid, coolant, and spark plugs according to the maintenance schedule. Cabin & Engine Air Filter I check them and replace myself.

·
Administrator
4,247 Posts
I always did just oil change and tire rotation on my previous vehicles(Honda Civic & Ford Fusion). I plan on doing the same for the Insight at least until I'm closing in on my 3 year warranty. That's when I'm going to ask them to do a B1. After that back to oil change and tire rotation. I will do the transmission fluid, brake fluid, coolant, and spark plugs according to the maintenance schedule. Cabin & Engine Air Filter I check them and replace myself.
Did your prior Honda have maintenance minder? I'd imagine it's a hard sell to convince dealer to do anything other than what's listed by the car, and I wonder if they'll refuse (?). The reminder sticker they put on my windshield after last service basically has interval of "next MM recommendation." My older Hondas didn't have the MM, so any type of service felt like a choice/option.

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
Did your prior Honda have maintenance minder? I'd imagine it's a hard sell to convince dealer to do anything other than what's listed by the car, and I wonder if they'll refuse (?). The reminder sticker they put on my windshield after last service basically has interval of "next MM recommendation." My older Hondas didn't have the MM, so any type of service felt like a choice/option.
My local dealership won't decline money if I ask them to do something. 😄 I have done oil changes, fluid changes, spark plugs before the maintenance minder on my Civic.

·
Administrator
4,247 Posts
My local dealership won't decline money if I ask them to do something. 😄 I have done oil changes, fluid changes, spark plugs before the maintenance minder on my Civic.
Yes, but I'm asking if B service shows up as maintenance minder recommendation before that and you only ask them to do A service (oil change) - will they refuse to do less than what's recommended?

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
Yes, but I'm asking if B service shows up as maintenance minder recommendation before that and you only ask them to do A service (oil change) - will they refuse to do less than what's recommended?
I never did a single B service when the Maintenance Minder showed B for my Civic. Same for my Ford Fusion at the Ford dealership. :whistle: I always did just the oil change special and brought my cars to Costco for tire rotation & balancing.

·
Administrator
4,247 Posts
I never did a single B service when the Maintenance Minder showed B for my Civic. :whistle:
Ok, yes - has asked if your prior Hondas has MM. Mine did not, so I didn't know how the "I decline service" conversation goes with dealer. I guess everything is optional / suggestion then... but one of the requirements specified by my limited lifetime warranty is that I perform the steps/checks as scheduled and recommended by the maintenance minder.

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
Ok, yes - has asked if your prior Hondas has MM. Mine did not, so I didn't know how the "I decline service" conversation goes with dealer. I guess everything is optional / suggestion then... but one of the requirements specified by my limited lifetime warranty is that I perform the steps/checks as scheduled and recommended by the maintenance minder.
The service advisor and the valet attendent only ask me what I'm here for. I tell them oil change and multi-point. That's pretty much the whole interaction. The dealership where I bought my Insight didn't offer a free lifetime powertrain warranty so I wouldn't follow what I'm doing if you want to keep that valid.

·
Administrator
4,247 Posts
The service advisor and the valet attendent only ask me what I'm here for. I tell them oil change and multi-point. That's pretty much the whole interaction. The dealership where I bought my Insight didn't offer a free lifetime powertrain warranty so I wouldn't follow what I'm doing if you want to keep that valid.
Good to know... and this addresses OP's question well then, as the question was whether Oil Change + Multi-Point Inspection is adequate, versus full B service. It's certainly cheaper too to do A service + Multi-Point inspection, rather than B service.

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
Good to know... and this addresses OP's question well then, as the question was whether Oil Change + Multi-Point Inspection is adequate, versus full B service. It's certainly cheaper too to do A service + Multi-Point inspection, rather than B service.
Oil change and multi-point is $40 at my local Honda dealership. The 2nd closest one does oil change + tire rotation + multi-point for $45. I still prefer doing the oil change at my closest dealership for $40 then pay a little more($26) for the tire rotation & balancing at Costco. The B service at my local Honda dealership was $90 when I checked last year. I find it hard to justify paying double for the tech to look at stuff to find wrong so he can charge me more to fix. :p Also I don't abuse my vehicles(I follow the owner's manual) or go off road. The only thing I have to look out for is potholes in the Winter. :confused:

·
Administrator
4,247 Posts
Oil change and multi-point is $40 at my local Honda dealership. The 2nd closest one does oil change + tire rotation + multi-point for $45. I still prefer doing the oil change at my closest dealership for $40 then pay a little more($26) for the tire rotation & balancing at Costco. The B service at my local Honda dealership was $90 when I checked last year.
$90 almost sounds like a bargain. The pricing for B service can run even higher than that... quoted at $160 by another dealer's site.

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
$90 almost sounds like a bargain. The pricing for B service can run even higher than that... quoted at $160 by another dealer's site.
My Honda dealership does offer service at reasonable prices... Well as reasonable as a dealership can be. I will check B service pricing again when I'm due for service.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,281 Posts
I've always done my own work wherever possible. Since I pull my tires to rotate them every 5K miles, I pretty much have a rolling 'B' schedule going more often than required. I check all suspension components at that time. When doing oil changes, I do all other inspections while under the car. Fluids and other under-the-hood checks are done monthly. I document everything in Fuelly.com, so I have a record of when it was done.

·
Administrator
4,247 Posts
My Honda dealership does offer service at reasonable prices... Well as reasonable as a dealership can be. I will check B service pricing again when I'm due for service.
@andrew28 - we bought our Insights on similar timing and are on similar maintenance schedule. I just completed B service (combined with fuel pump recall repair). Just curious as to what you decided to do for your recent service. Did you opt for A service (oil change and multi-point inspection) or B service as indicated by Maintenance Minder? And if you opted for B service, did your dealer still offer it for 'only' $90?

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
@andrew28 - we bought our Insights on similar timing and are on similar maintenance schedule. I just completed B service (combined with fuel pump recall repair). Just curious as to what you decided to do for your recent service. Did you opt for A service (oil change and multi-point inspection) or B service as indicated by Maintenance Minder? And if you opted for B service, did your dealer still offer it for 'only' $90?
I had A service, multi-point, and the coolant top off done. I forgot to ask about the B service. I'll try to remember and ask for B service cost when I get my state inspection in December.

·
Administrator
4,247 Posts
I had A service, multi-point, and the coolant top off done. I forgot to ask about the B service. I'll try to remember and ask for B service cost when I get my state inspection in December.
I opted for B service as listed on the Maintenance Minder, but I've gotta say it was very overpriced for what it was, and especially for my low mileage car. This is where Honda makes up in pricing for the extended maintenance intervals on newer cars. It'll be another ~2 years until B service comes up again, so I guess I'll have time to reconsider then. You were right about the dealer being willing to schedule whatever is requested, regardless of Maintenance Minder indicator.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
to close the loop on this one, since I posed the original question, I did tell the dealer to just do the oil/filter and multipoint since there really is nothing else in B not already covered in multipoint; I don't need a tire rotation since I will be putting on my winter tires soon. Cost out the door $47 and dealer had no qualms about not doing B.

·
Administrator
4,247 Posts
to close the loop on this one, since I posed the original question, I did tell the dealer to just do the oil/filter and multipoint since there really is nothing else in B not already covered in multipoint; I don't need a tire rotation since I will be putting on my winter tires soon. Cost out the door $47 and dealer had no qualms about not doing B.
I normally let the dealer reset the Maintenance Minder / indicators. Did you reset your Maintenance Minder before service so it didn't show need for B service... or does it just not matter? Do you get a checklist of items that are included in multi-point inspection? When I brought my car in, the person next to me was also in for B service. But I can't state enough how overpriced it was.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts