Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I remember when the Prius came out there was people modding the battery to be able to get some huge range advantages. While not really looking to mod my car any way...but is there a fringe dodders community that has come up with any battery hacks to give it more range? More curious then anything else.

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
So I remember when the Prius came out there was people modding the battery to be able to get some huge range advantages. While not really looking to mod my car any way...but is there a fringe dodders community that has come up with any battery hacks to give it more range? More curious then anything else.
Haven't heard of mods for the Gen3 battery yet. Most can get 500 miles from a tank. How much more range would it take to make a mod worthwhile? I'm sure it would void the warranty, so it may take three years before we see someone try it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think the single greatest asset would be a plug-in module. Starting most commutes with a fully charged battery would make 80+ mpg a reality for those of us with shorter commutes. After that a second battery, wired in parallel for the mileage people. Dividing the current draw across 2 packs would allow much longer ev use. Downside would be charging the second pack, and needing a voltage regulator, and the added weight. Although many of us have found the car doesn't mind weight.

This would all require software to make it work correctly. I doubt we will see any major "battery mods" until packs start aging out.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Another option would be to develop a solar roof, but I doubt there'd be enough impact to justify the cost.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at plugins before the insight and they were too expensive for me at this point. Not only that, they weren't as fuel efficient when battery is used up. My commute each way is about 30 miles. So if I could get something that did that it would be great. We have a charger free to use at work...so in theory it would work out. Problem is the cost is about 5-10k more, and if I don't get to the charger in time, others will use it (only two chargers in each building that is full of geeks with lots of cars that can be plugged in). So decided to go the insight route....but it's always cool to think of new idea.

I think the single greatest asset would be a plug-in module. Starting most commutes with a fully charged battery would make 80+ mpg a reality for those of us with shorter commutes. After that a second battery, wired in parallel for the mileage people. Dividing the current draw across 2 packs would allow much longer ev use. Downside would be charging the second pack, and needing a voltage regulator, and the added weight. Although many of us have found the car doesn't mind weight.

·
Registered
836 Posts
For clarification, I meant a module that would allow Insight owners to "plug-in" and charge the current battery while the car was parked.

It would have to be a "smart" charger, something that would work with standard 110v or 220v outlets, that regulated charging current, and honestly, I'd like to see it cut-off at 80% charge. We know that charging to 100% is unhealthy for li-ion batteries, unless the charge is to be used rather immediately.

It would also have to take into account battery temperature, and suspend charging to keep the battery under 100*F. The ultimate solution would be something that provided power to the electric a/c unit and charged the battery. It would activate the a/c when needed to cool down the battery pack.

Sorry for the long-winded response, you get the electro-geek in me going.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah a plug in mod would be cool. There are good chargers these days that are 110V that could work as well and change pretty quickly.

I like the cooling the battery while charging...makes sense to keep it at a certain temperatures. I fly drones and know the woo's of a battery the overheats and explodes. So would like to avoid that with my car battery.

For clarification, I meant a module that would allow Insight owners to "plug-in" and charge the current battery while the car was parked.

It would have to be a "smart" charger, something that would work with standard 110v or 220v outlets, that regulated charging current, and honestly, I'd like to see it cut-off at 80% charge. We know that charging to 100% is unhealthy for li-ion batteries, unless the charge is to be used rather immediately.

It would also have to take into account battery temperature, and suspend charging to keep the battery under 100*F. The ultimate solution would be something that provided power to the electric a/c unit and charged the battery. It would activate the a/c when needed to cool down the battery pack.

Sorry for the long-winded response, you get the electro-geek in me going.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Waiting for someone to take a Plug in clarity, and merge it with an insight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Haven't heard of mods for the Gen3 battery yet. Most can get 500 miles from a tank. How much more range would it take to make a mod worthwhile? I'm sure it would void the warranty, so it may take three years before we see someone try it.
When I fill up the tank the range shows 399 miles. When you fill up it shows 500? One time I tried to top of the tank to see if it would increase the range and it made the powerflow map on the touch screen show nothing until I drove and brought the gas level down a little.:surprise:

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
When I fill up the tank the range shows 399 miles. When you fill up it shows 500? One time I tried to top of the tank to see if it would increase the range and it made the powerflow map on the touch screen show nothing until I drove and brought the gas level down a little.:surprise:
The Range distance calculation is based on "current fuel economy" multiplied by amount of fuel in tank (less 1.6 gallons). The range will go up/down during a drive as your fuel economy improves/decreases, and the car calls "0 miles left" at 1.6 gallons.

Check out these threads for discussion on range calculation:
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/266-2019-honda-insight-range-mpge-economy/2132-gas-tank-capacity.html
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/2324-how-accurate-insights-calculated-range.html

And these threads for 1.6 gallons left in tank at 0 mile range:
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/450-remaining-miles-gas-tank-indicators.html
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/2620-dangerous-territory-have-you-ever-been-completely-below-slash.html

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
The range displayed is based off a calculation of your previous tank average multiplied by 9ish. If I remember correctly.

I have noticed that as well. The power-flow doesn't always update with the addition of gas, occasionally I'll add 91-93 ethanol free (under 2 gallons) to the tank, and the range doesn't change.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
The range displayed is based off a calculation of your previous tank average multiplied by 9ish. If I remember correctly.

I have noticed that as well. The power-flow doesn't always update with the addition of gas, occasionally I'll add 91-93 ethanol free (under 2 gallons) to the tank, and the range doesn't change.
It's more of a live calculation/recalculation based on fuel economy, rather than a static measure from last tank... I've literally "re-lived" the same range number (or it stays unchanged after a drive), if my fuel economy improves enough in a single drive.

·
Registered
836 Posts
It's more of a live calculation/recalculation based on fuel economy, rather than a static measure from last tank... I've literally "re-lived" the same range number (or it stays unchanged after a drive), if my fuel economy improves enough in a single drive.
I learned something new... I guess my drives are very consistent then, I've never noticed it going up between drives.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I looked at plugins before the insight and they were too expensive for me at this point. Not only that, they weren't as fuel efficient when battery is used up. My commute each way is about 30 miles. So if I could get something that did that it would be great. We have a charger free to use at work...so in theory it would work out. Problem is the cost is about 5-10k more, and if I don't get to the charger in time, others will use it (only two chargers in each building that is full of geeks with lots of cars that can be plugged in). So decided to go the insight route....but it's always cool to think of new idea.

FYI. If you need a second car, the Ford fusion energi plug in is $35k but comes with 10k in discounts if you lease for three years making it a bargain to have for a lease. I average 64mpg in my 42 mile commute and about 750miles per tank. Takes about 7.6 hrs to charge on 110v and 2.5hrs to charge on 220v. Not as fun as the insight, but a heck of a cruiser with a lot of tech installed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I looked at the Fusion Hybrid as an option originally....but found it a bit expensive for the features that come standard with the EX. The plugin was way to expensive for me these days, even with the discounts. I'll see in 5-8 years how far electrics have come and decide then.

FYI. If you need a second car, the Ford fusion energi plug in is $35k but comes with 10k in discounts if you lease for three years making it a bargain to have for a lease. I average 64mpg in my 42 mile commute and about 750miles per tank. Takes about 7.6 hrs to charge on 110v and 2.5hrs to charge on 220v. Not as fun as the insight, but a heck of a cruiser with a lot of tech installed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lol...this info can be dangerous. In my old Ford Focus, or actually any car I've previously owned, I've been know to go way beyond the "0 miles left" or past E back in those days. I've only run out of fuel once, and I could tell it was happening and got it to a gas station right away. My Ford Focus did have a issue that was recalled where a sensor wasn't working and thinks the gas is empty and shut the engine off, even though it still had about 20-30 miles left. Those weren't fun times and my wife made fun of me for running out of gas...she had to retract her statements when the recall came out.

But with my Ford Focus I've also noticed that if I drove more effiecntly when I filled up the overall miles left went up. On the focus forums there is a "400" club for those who drive so well, that after a fillip it shows the range of more then 400. I was in that club for quite a bit of time. My best drive in the Ford Focus was a 470 miles trip from Canada to Home (Telford, PA). I did it all in one tank. But that should be a peace of cake for the insight.

The Range distance calculation is based on "current fuel economy" multiplied by amount of fuel in tank (less 1.6 gallons). The range will go up/down during a drive as your fuel economy improves/decreases, and the car calls "0 miles left" at 1.6 gallons.

Check out these threads for discussion on range calculation:
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/266-2019-honda-insight-range-mpge-economy/2132-gas-tank-capacity.html
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/2324-how-accurate-insights-calculated-range.html

And these threads for 1.6 gallons left in tank at 0 mile range:
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/450-remaining-miles-gas-tank-indicators.html
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/2620-dangerous-territory-have-you-ever-been-completely-below-slash.html

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Lol...this info can be dangerous. In my old Ford Focus, or actually any car I've previously owned, I've been know to go way beyond the "0 miles left" or past E back in those days. I've only run out of fuel once, and I could tell it was happening and got it to a gas station right away. My Ford Focus did have a issue that was recalled where a sensor wasn't working and thinks the gas is empty and shut the engine off, even though it still had about 20-30 miles left. Those weren't fun times and my wife made fun of me for running out of gas...she had to retract her statements when the recall came out.

But with my Ford Focus I've also noticed that if I drove more effiecntly when I filled up the overall miles left went up. On the focus forums there is a "400" club for those who drive so well, that after a fillip it shows the range of more then 400. I was in that club for quite a bit of time. My best drive in the Ford Focus was a 470 miles trip from Canada to Home (Telford, PA). I did it all in one tank. But that should be a peace of cake for the insight.
There are a couple threads in this forum on the "500 mile" and "700 mile" club :)
500 - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/2530-500-mile-club.html
700 - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/2542-700-miles-tank-hey-y%92all-look.html#post16114

And a few people have tried driving 25-40 miles past the point of "0 miles range left." Normal refuel is 8-9 gallons when the fuel tank bars are down to 1-2, but refilling "past 0" takes you dangerously close to having used the full gas tank capacity of 10.6 gallons.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Waiting for someone to take a Plug in clarity, and merge it with an insight.
I just wanted to point out some more on this train of thought. You would need a lot to make this work. The clarity pack is liquid cooled. You'd need to modify a lot to get the pack to fit in the insight, someone would have to crack the pcm and ipu software, and you'd need to mount the charger on an insight.

On a plus side, because the Clarity shares the same 1.5l Atkinson drivetrain, it would work once you got past the software, and for the ultimate hack, albeit loosing trunk space, it wouldn't be impossible to combine the two battery packs into one car, and have both a plug-in range, followed by the more efficient Insight hybrid range, you'd just have to be able to manually force ev mode, and be able to dictate which battery pack you'd like to use. It may be more practical to start with a clarity pcm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know none of us want to void our warranties...
But within 3 years I'll be past that warranty.
I also wonder how difficult a mod would be to just add additional batteries. The stock battery is only 80lb. Adding a second one of the same wouldn't add much more weight. Frankly I get annoyed every time I get off the interstate and cap out my battery to 100% because then I know I am just wasting juice.
I suppose a better question I have is... WHY SUCH A SMALL BATTERY. I wouldn't even be looking into a larger battery if I didn't cap this one out a couple times per day. IIRC the battery is smaller than previous generations, and it's a bigger vehicle. We can barely go a mile on EV only. For local driving the small battery is fine, recharge/use, repeat. Longer commutes mean I recharge at speeds that EV isn't an option and fill that battery up. I run out of places to store those electrons and they get wasted. Does anybody have any 'Insight' about what the designers were planning?
Thanks!

Edit: grammar

1 - 20 of 22 Posts